View Full Version : CDMA iPAQ Coming In 2004?

Janak Parekh
06-06-2003, 01:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.brighthand.com/article/HP_and_Sprint_Developing_Wireless_iPAQ' target='_blank'>http://www.brighthand.com/article/H...g_Wireless_iPAQ</a><br /><br /></div>Brighthand weighs in with the latest rumors on a CDMA-enabled iPAQ. What do you think?<br /><br />"The 2003 Sprint Users Forum is going on now in Dallas. According to SprintPCS Rocks, HP representatives are saying that their company and Sprint are working together to create an an iPAQ that will be able to connect with Sprint's CDMA networks. This is expected to be available some time in 2004."

trachy
06-06-2003, 01:39 AM
This is great. I just wish it were possible to buy a PPC Phone that wasn't branded and marketed exclusively by a cell phone company. I use Alltel down here in FL, and while they have an excellent CDMA network I can't just buy a new PPC phone seperately and have them program it (they don't currently offer any PPC Phones, Smart Phones, or Palm devices). My only option is to get the service/hardware package from Sprint (crappy service) or buy a used device that's outdated (and still pay the programming fee).

I've used up my quota of parentheticals. :lol:

Will T Smith
06-06-2003, 01:55 AM
I certainly suggest that HP doesn't use their tranditional "Sleeve" form-factor. There are lots of SmartPhones out their that are smaller and WAY more functional. This may be HPs opportunity to create their first unit with an integrated keyboard.

In any case, something DIFFERENT is warranted. Not the same old S**T thats getting it's but whooped by Dell right now.

adamz
06-06-2003, 02:09 AM
I certainly suggest that HP doesn't use their tranditional "Sleeve" form-factor. There are lots of SmartPhones out their that are smaller and WAY more functional. This may be HPs opportunity to create their first unit with an integrated keyboard.

In any case, something DIFFERENT is warranted. Not the same old S**T thats getting it's but whooped by Dell right now.

You got something different already... the 1900 and 2200 series. The sleeves are GOOD! We want to keep those on high-end PDAs. Smartphones don't have GPS navigation/mapping, consumer infrared, handwriting recognition, NES simulators, 3D Games, PDA-size screens, Terminal clients, Network utilities, digital photography proofing/management software, multimedia video/audio players, eBook readers, Word, Excel, SQL Server, and Bluetooth.

Paragon
06-06-2003, 02:32 AM
I posted this in another thread somewhere.......Not too long before the article quoting the HP exec. saying they weren't going to develop a Phone Edition device there was an announcement made stating the HTC had won back the contract to develop a Phone Edition device for them for the last quarter of this year. It even went so far as to say it would be a H4000 series device.

For those with a paid subscription to Digitimes you should be able to search it.

Dave

Gremmie
06-06-2003, 02:34 AM
Well, as much as I like HP/Compaq's ideas, they have been horribly slow with this; hopefully they are trying to secure quality.

mangochutneyman
06-06-2003, 03:00 AM
Umm...does this mean HP is going to develop something like the Samsung i700 or will they just integrate cdma1900/1xrtt into the h5450 or something? I hope its the former b/c I wouldn't want to use anything too bulky as a primary mobile...

achille
06-06-2003, 03:33 AM

adamz
06-06-2003, 04:11 AM
I would NEVER trade my Hp 5455 for any other model, whether that is GPRS or ixrtt... No one would (xcept for 5555), the antenna is much bigger... and loosing 802.11b ?
I would not trade 802.11b for anything... can you imagine having to put the ipaq in the cradle to connect? My whole college campus has 802.11b, classes would be much more boring without high speed internet.
For anyone inspiring to buy the CDMA/GPRS Ipaq: Just get the t68 bluetooth phone, so you'll have a cool phone, a cool gadget, internet almost everywhere... and hey, the t68 can be purchased for... 80 bux on ebay =D

Yeah right! I've got a Bluetooth phone and its a huge pain to have it communicate with my 3970... compared to when the GSM pack is attached.
As for WiFi, I'd rather have Bluetooth AND GSM/GPRS. I've already got Bluetooth for connecting at home or work without a cradle. Having Bluetooth AND phone capabilities will open up the use of wireless headsets, GPS devices, etc.

Of course, all of the above would be nice too.
But this is why they make different versions, people want different things.

mangochutneyman
06-06-2003, 04:24 AM
I would NEVER trade my Hp 5455 for any other model, whether that is GPRS or ixrtt... No one would (xcept for 5555), the antenna is much bigger... and loosing 802.11b ?
I would not trade 802.11b for anything... can you imagine having to put the ipaq in the cradle to connect? My whole college campus has 802.11b, classes would be much more boring without high speed internet.
For anyone inspiring to buy the CDMA/GPRS Ipaq: Just get the t68 bluetooth phone, so you'll have a cool phone, a cool gadget, internet almost everywhere... and hey, the t68 can be purchased for... 80 bux on ebay =D

Okay, so what about when you leave your college? I dunno about you but there's hardly public wifi hotspot where I live. Outside of campus wifi roaming, cdma/1xrtt/gprs is just more omniprensent. Also, once true 3G arrives in UMTS/1xEvDo(Dv) with transfer speed of up 2/4 mbps (perhaps 10 mbps), then the true power of 3G services will shine...

possmann
06-06-2003, 04:50 AM
oh why did it have to by CDMA - why not GPRS/GSM?

achille
06-06-2003, 05:08 AM

Will T Smith
06-06-2003, 05:15 AM

You got something different already... the 1900 and 2200 series. The sleeves are GOOD! We want to keep those on high-end PDAs. Smartphones don't have GPS navigation/mapping, consumer infrared, handwriting recognition, NES simulators, 3D Games, PDA-size screens, Terminal clients, Network utilities, digital photography proofing/management software, multimedia video/audio players, eBook readers, Word, Excel, SQL Server, and Bluetooth.

Emmm, sleeves are great for geeks and folks who don't care about toting around bricks (when they don't have to). Sprint is going to try to bundle this device into contract deals. That means they don't want their customers saying "I have to do WHAT???". Why is it slipping out of my hand???? Why is it so much BIGGER than all the other devices???? Why can't I fit it in my pocket??? Why is the thing so damn heavy, it's hard to hold up to my ear????

I'm not saying sleeves are bad. I do personally dislike them. They're great for some. That is, the some who like to carry around brick holders for "EXTRA" functionality. The average cell-phone contract user will do just fine with a single SDIO slot. Hell, 80% of them probably won't even use that.

possmann
06-06-2003, 05:22 AM
Good news: The CDMA "Version" is for Sprint only, the GPRS Will come out =D

Man (or woman) I really hope you are right - I have been waiting for a killer PPCPE to come out...

nosmohtac
06-06-2003, 05:37 AM
I just hope what ever it looks like, that they do make a cdma sleeve for existing ipaq owners. I also hope that the design is like the GPRS/GSM sleeve, where the mic. and speaker are on the back of the sleeve so you're not putting the screen up to your cheek.

I don't have GSM service widely available in my area, only CDMA, and although the new samsung and hitachi PDA's look like promising PPCPE's, I am not willing to give up the full power of a pocket pc for one of these.
I also wouldn't mind carrying around a little thicker pocket pc, instead of a pocket pc and a phone.

I am also a little disappointed that it is only through sprint ( their coverage stinks in my area as well, but that's what I get for living in rural America), but I would imagine that you could get it to work on Verizon's network if you were to buy it without a big promo that locked you in for 2 years on Sprint.

Shaun Stuart
06-06-2003, 08:14 AM
I am using a sony ericcson P800 smartphone at the moment. I rarely use my ipaq anymore but I do prefer the Pocket PC OS - The P800 uses Symbian. If HP produced a Phone Edition with a similar design/form factor I would definatley be buying.

danmanmayer
06-06-2003, 08:15 AM
Sweet i want one now... please say wifi and bluetooth also... then i will pay about anything... hehe sweet.

adamz
06-06-2003, 12:34 PM
Ehem. you already have bluetooth phones and bluetooth headsets for them, you also have bluetooth gps locators. And you don't need a GPRS/CDMA phone for that. I'm not saying I'm against the GPRS Ipaqs, i'm saying I'm against castrating 5xxx from wifi

You don't have phones with GPS navigators and everything else the Pocket PC can do. That was my point. With an iPAQ Phone Edition that has Bluetooth, you won't have to be carrying a half dozen electronics devices.

What kind of phone do you have?
If the bluetooth connection works ok at home then it's a problem with your phone. You have to admit that Wi FI is faster, more versatile, easier and way more availabe. My computer does not have to be Online when I'm using my pocket pc, my ipaq automatically retrieves an ip from the access point router. Also: Try using bluetooth when u'r on the basement, checking the weather website and waiting for the tornado warning to expire. I believe that Having a separate phone and pda is more confortable than having them in one, the t68 integrates beautifully with most ipaqs, you can forget that the phone is in your pocket and enjoy having an ipaq who's antenna is much smaller and does not poke u in the pockets.

The problem isn't the bluetooth phone (R520m)... it connects fine. The problem is having to carry the phone, keeping track of where it is, and having to turn the iPAQ on in order to communicate with the phone. I often wear different pants with different pockets, having to make sure the bluetooth phone is with me is such a hassle.
Nobody's saying your WiFi/Bluetooth iPAQ is going to get castrated, you can still keep the one you have. And even though WiFi is faster, Pocket Internet Explorer certainly is still quite slow.

The traditional (REAL) iPAQ is still the most expandable, most powerful PDA on the market. Sleeves are removable and optional. But the potential for customization and vast expansion is beyond any other type of PDA. To many, especially power users as well as those in specialized markets, this is extremely attractive and advantageous.
For me, the size is just about right. Smaller PDAs are not as comfortable to hold with my big hands and I wouldn't want to sacrifice screen size or functionality. But if you want something smaller, there's the 1900 series.

darrylb
06-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Good news: The CDMA "Version" is for Sprint only, the GPRS Will come out =D

Man (or woman) I really hope you are right - I have been waiting for a killer PPCPE to come out...

I have also had confirmation of there being a GPRS version in Q1 2004. It will also have BT and WiFI :mrgreen:

darrylb
06-08-2003, 05:27 AM
I was specifically told it would have three wireless capabilities. Lets wait and see though - Q1 2004 is a long way off yet :)