View Full Version : 19 days to PPC2003 release

WillyG
06-04-2003, 09:09 AM
19 days to PPC2003 release (if the rumors are correct)

The rejoiced speculations go on :)

delfuhd
06-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Hmm do ya think hp and other companies would sell the upgrade, and not offer it for free? I'm kind of annoyed at that fact, if it's true. I wasn't here for the 2002 release, so I don't know exactley what goes on...

WillyG
06-04-2003, 11:16 AM
A common way for hardware manufacturers to solve this, is to say that "If you bought ur [insert pocketpc model here] after a spesific date, you will be offered the upgrede for free (shipping and handling not included ;)), but if you bought ur device earlier than the spesified date, you will be offered the upgrade for the cost of the licence (+shipping and handling).
Im not up to date what HP are up to this time, but when PPC2002 came out, they (Compaq back then) used a scenario like the above. And i know of a few other brands that more or less has promised that they will provide an uppgrademodel like the above for PPC2003.

pocketpcdude1024
06-04-2003, 11:25 AM
A common way for hardware manufacturers to solve this, is to say that "If you bought ur [insert pocketpc model here] after a spesific date, you will be offered the upgrede for free (shipping and handling not included ;)), but if you bought ur device earlier than the spesified date, you will be offered the upgrade for the cost of the licence (+shipping and handling).
Im not up to date what HP are up to this time, but when PPC2002 came out, they (Compaq back then) used a scenario like the above. And i know of a few other brands that more or less has promised that they will provide an uppgrademodel like the above for PPC2003.

And then there's OEMs (ahem, Toshiba) that don't even know that there is an upgrade out! Seriously, EUU3 came out in what, November? December? and only about a month ago did Toshiba offer it for their e310 owners. I just hope PPC2003 will be different, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it won't be. :cry:

JvanEkris
06-04-2003, 11:59 AM
Siemens has indicated that it will provide such a scheme to all people who bougt it from may 2003. Other people will pay for shipping, handling and Micro$oft license...

Jaap

maximus
06-04-2003, 02:16 PM
I am not too excited about these ppc2003 stuff, what I really look forward to is the day we can assemble our own PPC, with parts that we handpicked ourself.

Several types of PPC processor to choose from ... several southbridges and northbridges to choose ... several video cards to choose from ... serial ATA SD cards ... or perhaps even some bluetooth CF drive (you can put the CF drive on your bag, but you can access it on your PPC via bluetooth) ... now that will be cool.

darrylb
06-05-2003, 08:41 AM
19 days to PPC2003 release (if the rumors are correct)

The rejoiced speculations go on :)

You know you are a gadget freak when you look forward to something this much :mrgreen:

I'm really looking forward to the new devices which will be spurred on by the new OS :onfire:

Enderet
06-05-2003, 09:41 AM
I already sold mine:D

WillyG
06-05-2003, 09:41 AM
You know you are a gadget freak when you look forward to something this much :mrgreen:

Im guilty, i know, but hey its a hobby and a passion. Since im not under some kind of NDA, i can freely speculate and rant about the upcoming OS. And yes, im really looking forward to the next OS version. Im always curious at new things. Thats why PDAs in general are so appealing to me. Pure joy :lol:
The current OS, PPC2002, is far from perfect (contains a pallet of bugs and a lot of things that can be, and should have been, focused on to make the OS better already), im hoping PPC2003 will bring me and other PPCentousiasts one step closer to PDA nirvana :)

darrylb
06-05-2003, 10:34 AM
The current OS, PPC2002, is far from perfect (contains a pallet of bugs and a lot of things that can be, and should have been, focused on to make the OS better already), im hoping PPC2003 will bring me and other PPCentousiasts one step closer to PDA nirvana :)

I understand from discussions I've had with folk at Microsoft (not under NDA) that the new version will be a minor update with a more complete update due next year. Remember how long we had to wait for PPC2002 from PPC2000? - expect the same again :evil:

I really hope I have the story wrong here - but I doubt it....