View Full Version : Birthdays don't display in Calendar unless I sync with Outlook?

h4xwh0r3
06-04-2003, 03:53 AM
You can try this one for yourself:

When I enter a birthday for a contact, the birthday will not be displayed on the today page (under the calendar section). I think it only gets displayed when I synchronise my Pocket PC with Outlook.

I tested this by creating a dummy contact with a birthday set to today (4/06/2003). I went back to the today page - no birthday listed. I went to the calendar a viewed it in "current day mode" (second icon from the left in calendar) - still no birthday listed. Yet, I have older contact entries which have been synced with outlook and *do* get displayed in the calendar.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this a bug or a "feature"? :wink:

h4xwh0r3

Pony99CA
06-04-2003, 06:38 AM
When I enter a birthday for a contact, the birthday will not be displayed on the today page (under the calendar section). I think it only gets displayed when I synchronise my Pocket PC with Outlook.

I tested this by creating a dummy contact with a birthday set to today (4/06/2003). I went back to the today page - no birthday listed. I went to the calendar a viewed it in "current day mode" (second icon from the left in calendar) - still no birthday listed. Yet, I have older contact entries which have been synced with outlook and *do* get displayed in the calendar.

Other than the fact that today isn't 4/6/2003, I reproduced this. I think what happens is that Outlook takes your contacts' birthday and anniversary information and creates calendar events from them; Pocket Outlook doesn't do this. That would explain why synchronization caused the birthday to appear in your calendar.

Given that, I wouldn't classify this as a bug. However, some changes to contacts and/or the corresponding birthday and anniversary calendar entries cause the calendar entries to get duplicated, and that I would classify as a bug.

Steve

rhmorrison
06-04-2003, 08:37 AM
Other than the fact that today isn't 4/6/2003, I reproduced this.
:rock on dude!: Funny, it was 4/6/2003 when it was posted at 3:53 am (European time). Maybe we should check from where he posted his message.

As to birthdays I would recommend using any of the available Birthday add-ons, some of which are FREE, some of which that are also Today screen plug-ins.

h4xwh0r3
06-04-2003, 08:38 AM
Other than the fact that today isn't 4/6/2003, I reproduced this. I think what happens is that Outlook takes your contacts' birthday and anniversary information and creates calendar events from them; Pocket Outlook doesn't do this. That would explain why synchronization caused the birthday to appear in your calendar.

Given that, I wouldn't classify this as a bug. However, some changes to contacts and/or the corresponding birthday and anniversary calendar entries cause the calendar entries to get duplicated, and that I would classify as a bug.

Steve

Thanks! But in terms of the date, it is indeed 4/06/2003 if you are in Australia. We're not all Americans (yet). :wink:

Pony99CA
06-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks! But in terms of the date, it is indeed 4/06/2003 if you are in Australia. We're not all Americans (yet).
There's another good reason to put your location in your profile (not that I knew Australia used the "European" date format in any case :oops:).

To avoid confusion, I think it's best to actually write out the month. You can't confuse 4 June 2003 or June 4, 2003. :-)

Steve

Dave Beauvais
06-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Yet another reason for the world to use the ISO 8601 (http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/popstds/datesandtime.html) international standard method of representing dates and times. Dates are in the YYYY-MM-DD format, eliminating any confusion as to which is the day and which is the month, as well as language barriers since "Jun" may not mean "June" in all languages.

--Dave