View Full Version : Pocket PC as alarm clock?

lipinski77
06-03-2003, 08:01 PM
While traveling this past weekend I did not have an alarm clock available to me. I decided to use my Casio E200 to wake me up in the morning. I set up an appointment in the calendar on the next day for the time I wanted to wake up and it worked great. :D

This got me thinking about using this more often. The only problem I have is creating an appointment everyday. :? I am not looking to create a reoccurring appointment either.

Is there an application anyone has found that they use as an alarm clock? I would simply like to set 1 or 2 alarms and be able to assign a sound. Which leads me into my next question...?

Does anyone have a good alarm sound to wake up to?

Thanks,

James

daninnj
06-03-2003, 08:33 PM
If you go to Settings|System|Clock|Alarms, you can set 4 alarms.

lipinski77
06-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Thanks DanInNJ.

It seems that was easier that I expected. I did not even realize I had that feature built in. :oops:

SofaTater
06-03-2003, 10:18 PM
You might also want to look into SuperAlert -- a little app for PPC that expands the alarm capabilities. Even if your PPC is muted, SuperAlert will sound your alarm. You can also choose different alert sounds for the clock, calendar, tasks, etc. And you can opt to have the alarm repeated so that it's more "persistent"...

dcharles18
06-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Be warned though that some people (myself included) have experienced a bug in that if you set the alarm and then turn the unit off immediatley is does not go off sometimes until you turn the unit back on again. The work around for this is to leave it on for a bit after setting an alarm.

neworderz
06-05-2003, 06:50 PM
I use AlarMe, very good alarm for me, everyday this thing wake me up, even have the snooze button. I must say this the only app that I use on my ppc.

http://www.eppen.com/alarme

disconnected
06-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Do any of the alarm apps have an ascending alarm?

dcharles18
06-05-2003, 11:46 PM
Do any of the alarm apps have an ascending alarm?

I'm pretty sure that pocket plus enables this feature.

disconnected
06-06-2003, 12:13 AM
Thanks, dcharles18.

It looks like just what I asked for, but now that I see it, I think what I really want is the same features, but with a really great-looking analog clock face. :)

dcharles18
06-06-2003, 12:17 AM
Thanks, dcharles18.

It looks like just what I asked for, but now that I see it, I think what I really want is the same features, but with a really great-looking analog clock face. :)

I'm actually surprised that no one ever made a PPC version of Big Clock for Palms.

lipinski77
06-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Now that I have found the alarm feature built in to PC2002, I use it all the time.

I have been having one problem with the backlight coming on. It does not. When the alarm goes off there is no backlight. Of course the alarm goes off in the early morning and it is still dark. This makes it very hard to hit the snooze.

Any ideas.

xoiph
06-13-2003, 07:20 AM
The alarm on my iPaq 1910 isn't loud enough to wake me up, so I hooked up my PC speakers to the audio out jack and now I have no problem getting up in the morning :mrgreen:

mace
06-25-2003, 01:50 PM
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but moving from my casio e-500 to the HP 2215 the alarms suck. They are not loud enough :evil: . On the Original Pocket PC the alarms would sound at the maxium volume. But, on the 2215 they go off at the voulme you have set. Is there any way around this?

ChrisW
06-25-2003, 02:02 PM
I'm actually surprised that no one ever made a PPC version of Big Clock for Palms.There's been a good one around for quite a while:

http://home.attbi.com/~jonsachs/#StopTime%202.0a combination stopwatch/lap timer, 4-way configurable up/down timer, alarm clock with calendar display and multiple alarms, voice/memo reminder, and flashlight.

8)

iant54
06-26-2003, 09:25 AM
ChrisW,

Thanks! I downloaded and installed StopTime yesterday, together with the additional sounds. Set the alarm to go off this morning - and didn't it just! Now all I need to do is to find a wav file of a rooster! :lol:

dcharles18
06-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Now all I need to do is to find a wav file of a rooster! :lol:

Believe it or not, I actually have one somewhere, I don't know what I did with it though. I used it as a wake up alarm for a few days, but it became annoying very quickly.

Johan
06-26-2003, 03:22 PM
I use AlarMe, very good alarm for me, everyday this thing wake me up, even have the snooze button. I must say this the only app that I use on my ppc.

Checked it out and this put me off "Even though AlarMe sets it's own volume, it cannot override system settings on the PocketPC".

Hey I'd like to have an alarm that goes off at full blast, no matter if the normal volume is very low and I'd also like to have hardware buttons mapped, press one button for snooze and another for stop. No chance to fiddle around tapping on a tiny box on the screen when it goes off in the morning. Until I find such an app I continue to use my mobile phone...

Crystal Eitle
06-26-2003, 03:38 PM
I'm actually surprised that no one ever made a PPC version of Big Clock for Palms.There's been a good one around for quite a while:

http://home.attbi.com/~jonsachs/#StopTime%202.0a combination stopwatch/lap timer, 4-way configurable up/down timer, alarm clock with calendar display and multiple alarms, voice/memo reminder, and flashlight.
Cool! I've been looking for a timer ever since my demo of Timekeeper expired. (There was no way I was going to pay $10 for timer software considering I can buy a standalone kitchen timer at Target for 8 bucks.)

Crystal Eitle
06-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but moving from my casio e-500 to the HP 2215 the alarms suck. They are not loud enough :evil: . On the Original Pocket PC the alarms would sound at the maxium volume. But, on the 2215 they go off at the voulme you have set. Is there any way around this?
Set your system volume as high as it will go. Then download Volume Control (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13473&highlight=), and use that to control volume for your apps.