View Full Version : Margi Systems Introduces Next Generation Wireless Presentation Technology

Jason Dunn
06-03-2003, 07:10 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.margi.com/pressroom/06_03_03_WirelessPTG_MARGI.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.margi.com/pressroom/06_0...ssPTG_MARGI.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"MARGI Systems has reached another milestone with the introduction of Wireless Presenter-to-Go – a complete hardware and software solution designed for licensing by projector, notebook computer and handheld manufacturers, to enable wireless delivery of presentations to projectors. MARGI continues to lead the market for mobile presentation solutions, and is now leveraging its expertise in presentations and multimedia to deliver a best of breed solution to meet the wireless demands of users today. The technology provides a cost-effective, quick-to-market solution for projector and device manufacturers who want to extend wireless functionality to their customers. The design also lends itself to the development of applications like full screen DVD playback, to eventually reach the home market.<br /><br />...Based on Texas Instruments’ market leading DisplayConnect™ chipset, Wireless Presenter-to-Go provides a new platform for projection and presentation technology. Wireless Presenter-to-Go encompasses both a reference board for integration into projectors, and software for notebook computers and handheld devices that supports high-performance, wireless delivery of presentations to projectors using MARGI’s technology. It provides an easy to use alternative to wired presentation solutions, and supports the broadest range of computer and handheld device platforms of any wireless projection technology on the market today. Hewlett Packard will be the first company to ship a projector using the Wireless Presenter-to-Go solution, which will be available this fall. MARGI is pursuing relationships with other projector and device manufacturers.<br /><br />...MARGI’s next generation wireless solution will expand on its current presentation technology to allow business professionals to wirelessly present from any WiFi-enabled notebook or handheld device using the 802.11b standard. With the functionality provided by Texas Instruments’ DisplayConnect chipset, Wireless Presenter-to-Go delivers a high performance, scalable presentation solution capable of supporting text, graphics and video."<br /><br />So if I understand this correctly, MARGI is using WiFi to bridge between a Pocket PC and a projector that contains a few special TI chips. So does that mean their hardware will act as a translation layer? This press release rasises more questions than it answers unfortunately - there's not much else on their Web site. Anyone have the inside track as to how this functionality will actually work?

R K
06-03-2003, 07:24 PM
I wonder what the display quality on these devices will be. Most reviews on the (Mira) Smart Displays said that the bad thing was the slow refresh on the displays.

lurch
06-03-2003, 08:14 PM
I think this is a great example of what WiFi and/or Bluetooth can accomplish!!

What I read is that projectors will be shipped that include this MARGI board (using TI chips) which will act as a sort of WiFi access point (and apparently also allow a CF or SD -type card to be inserted). But it won't just be an access point, it'll be a "propriatary" access point in that it only responds to an 802.11b request by a certain software package. The software can be loaded onto any machine, and uses the available wireless connection to find and connect to the projector -- I imagine that would look like a screen that lets you export your display to one of however-many-available projectors (dynamic discovery).

The only problem I can see is if someone chooses the wrong projector in a conference room complex and "hijacks" the projector being used in the next room.. :lol:

fyiguy
06-04-2003, 01:35 AM
The folks at BOXLIGHT (http://www.boxlight.com/wireless/) have a similar solution out called Projector Director, I am scheduled to get a review unit and I will share my findings...

Check it out they have a cool flash demo here (http://www.boxlight.com/wireless/boxlight_pd.html):

:mrgreen: