View Full Version : help needed - pocket informant won't uninstall completely

robert_uk
06-03-2003, 11:05 AM
hi
having some difficulty getting pocket informant to uninstall.
tried the demo and didn't get on with it.
anyway, i choose start > settings > system > remove programs
then select webis pocket informant 4 and click remove
it asks me to confirm, i say yes
it thinks for a short while then says
"error - some parts of an old pocket informant install are being used by another program OR by the operating system.
Please perform a SOFT reset of your PocketPC and then re-install"

ok so i haven't tried the re-install thing, because i'm trying to uninstall - maybe i should try this first ? fix the install then uninstall again ?

so i click ok, it asks to confirm a soft reset, i accept

and then i'm back to square one.

some apps have stopped working, can't get into contacts for example, i think it's the ones that have integrated with pocket informant that are now unhappy.

any ideas ? or confirmation of needing to reinstall first ?
thanks

Pony99CA
06-03-2003, 11:24 AM
some apps have stopped working, can't get into contacts for example, i think it's the ones that have integrated with pocket informant that are now unhappy.

How are you trying to get into Contacts? If you selected the options to have the buttons or the normal icons go to Pocket Informant, that could be the problem. You should have turned off any of the system override functions before you uninstalled.

I'd try reinstalling, turning off any of the system override functions, then uninstalling.

Steve

robert_uk
06-03-2003, 11:34 AM
thanks, steve, that is a possibility, though i think i selected to keep the startups separate.
if i press the "contacts" button, the axim switches on and gives an error "error opening the shortcut or locating the target filename."

so i guess maybe i did choose that option .... but contacts and tasks seem to be working now - for the moment, i did a soft reset.

clicking "new" in the today screen bottom left corner, i get:
email message
excel workbook
note
word document

i'm sure there used to be more there ? task and contact ?

i'll try the reinstallation when i get home tonight.
thanks

timbur
06-03-2003, 11:46 AM
clicking "new" in the today screen bottom left corner, i get:
email message
excel workbook
note
word document

i'm sure there used to be more there ? task and contact ?

If you go to "settings" "menus" and hit the "New Menu" tab you'll be able to reclaim your old settings for "new" (if that makes sense).

Tim

robert_uk
06-03-2003, 11:54 AM
thanks, tim - there's still a lot to learn about this ppc, even after 3 months !