View Full Version : Thinking about changing to PPC for GPS

edgrn
06-03-2003, 02:50 AM
I have used palm devices since the day they were out. about every 2 years, I would try converting to the latest CE device, but was disapointed and changed back quickly. I have been reading posts, and articles, and I think that it may finally be time to make the switch with the new 2003 devices coming out soon. While my Clie NX is quite capable, I think that the OS properties limit the range of software developers, while I am (with increasing envy) watching PPC users get some really amazing apps.

I am very interested in the GPS solutions availible. I think that I would be interested in a corded solution that uses the car to charge/power the GPS and (Most likey IPAC or Toshiba) the handheld.

Any suggestions as to devices, GPS units and or software? ( I am not committed yet to any one device or product) What have been your overall experiences? Any products to avoid?

FredMurphy
06-03-2003, 09:48 AM
I can say that on the software side TomTom is excellent. You don't mention where you live so check coverage. (US version is still in beta.)

The hardware I use is the Socket Bluetooth GPS. Good, but more expensive than a cabled solution.

Pony99CA
06-03-2003, 09:57 AM
I have used palm devices since the day they were out. about every 2 years, I would try converting to the latest CE device, but was disapointed and changed back quickly. I have been reading posts, and articles, and I think that it may finally be time to make the switch with the new 2003 devices coming out soon. While my Clie NX is quite capable, I think that the OS properties limit the range of software developers, while I am (with increasing envy) watching PPC users get some really amazing apps.

I am very interested in the GPS solutions availible.
Not to sound heretical, but if GPS is your main reason for switching, have you seen the Garmin iQue 3600 (http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600)? It's a Palm OS device with integrated GPS.

I think it looks very cool.

Steve

http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/graphics/iQue3600pic.jpg

edgrn
06-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Looked at garmin, but I am leary of being stuck with a proprietary system. I ideally would like a GPS receiver that can be used with future upgrades, or even a laptop if needed. What has me looking so hard at the CE devices, is that there are several really good software apps out there, so I have many choices. Plus I like the aftermarket support for the CE devices, which is generally superior to palm availibility. When the new crop of HP's hit the shelves, I will be evaluating one to see if it meets my needs.