View Full Version : iPaq 1910 vs iPaq 193x/4x?

Skoobouy
06-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Nobody knows anything about the new Samsung processors going into the new iPaq 1900s. However, IF they are a lot like the old 206MHz StrongARMs, then that could mean they may lack features over the 1910s.

What if they can't be overclocked? The XPUScalar guy said it looks like you can't.

What if the ARM v.4 specification is hard on the 900mah battery?

What if PPC '03 doesn't run quickly because it's optimized for X-Scale?

I mean, I know the new 193x and 4x will have lots of great stuff, like more memory, new OS, SDIO, and Bluetooth. But the SamSung processor could be a big sacrifice, too. Even overclocked PXA250 iPaq 1910s today are the fastest PPCs out there (for some things). And PXA255s were supposed to have improved energy conservation.

I'm just thinking that the processor thing could make or break the new iPaqs. What do you think?

Crystal Eitle
06-02-2003, 11:45 PM
I probably won't be replacing my 1910 with a 19xx model for this reason. I have my CPU running at 300 mHz thanks to Clear Speed; I don't want to go any slower than that.

I've got my eyeball on the 2215.... also waiting to see what Dell comes up with.

Janak Parekh
06-03-2003, 04:19 AM
I'm just thinking that the processor thing could make or break the new iPaqs. What do you think?
Honestly? I think we're speculating too early. :) MHz isn't a performance indicator, it only shows how fast a chip can execute a cycle. Different chips take different numbers of cycles to perform an instruction. About the only time you can use MHz to truly compare is across a line of otherwise identical chips (e.g., between XScales), and even then we've noted that 400MHz PXA250s aren't twice as fast as 200MHz PXA250s, due to other constraints.

Let's see what the reviews say first...

--janak

Skoobouy
06-03-2003, 12:05 PM
Actually, speed is the least of my worries. Performance-wise, I'm as happy as a clam with my Jornada's StrongARM.

What does concern me is that it seems we're missing out on all the new battery-saving technology that was put into the X-Scale processors, especially the PXA255. ARM v.4 + 900mah battery = even less life than the 1910s get now? Ouch. Why doesn't HP make an extended battery that occupies the space of the battery door?

Janak Parekh
06-03-2003, 03:56 PM
What does concern me is that it seems we're missing out on all the new battery-saving technology that was put into the X-Scale processors, especially the PXA255. ARM v.4 + 900mah battery = even less life than the 1910s get now?
Well, you can use my argument, amended slightly, for this. How do you know the Samsung ARM chips don't use less battery power? :) If they're more efficient, and can do more stuff given the same clock rate, a 266MHz Samsung might be competitive with a 400MHz XScale, yet use less power.

I still argue we're debating this too early. We need specs.

Why doesn't HP make an extended battery that occupies the space of the battery door?
Agreed. In fact, they can still do this, IMHO.

--janak

thomas1973
06-03-2003, 04:16 PM
Why doesn't HP make an extended battery that occupies the space of the battery door?
It doesn't have to be HP :D ! Why doesn't somebody make that new, bigger and better battery!?!

Thomas.