View Full Version : Amperage, Voltage, Polarity, Charger, etc.

neil ivymount
06-01-2003, 12:14 PM
For my last PPC's (Maestro and e310) I used a "universal" car charger I bought at Wal-Mart. You select the tip that fits, the correct polarity and voltage and plug it in. This worked great, but will it work with my new Axim?

Kati Compton
06-01-2003, 06:25 PM
For my last PPC's (Maestro and e310) I used a "universal" car charger I bought at Wal-Mart. You select the tip that fits, the correct polarity and voltage and plug it in. This worked great, but will it work with my new Axim?
I don't see why not, as long as you check the voltage/polarity.

neil ivymount
06-01-2003, 07:47 PM
I don't see why not, as long as you check the voltage/polarity.

Unlike my Maestro or e310, that info is nowhere handy (on the previous units it was printed on the back). I looked under the battery and it said 5.21v DC, but no polarity.

doogald
06-01-2003, 08:08 PM
The Dell AC adapter's output is 5.4V DC, 2400 mA(!), positive tip.

Kati Compton
06-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Unlike my Maestro or e310, that info is nowhere handy (on the previous units it was printed on the back). I looked under the battery and it said 5.21v DC, but no polarity.
Look on the Dell AC adapter.

Doogald - you beat me! ;)

Sven Johannsen
06-01-2003, 08:11 PM
What you are real trying to match, or emulate, is the AC charger output that comes with the AXIM. That says 5.4VDC, center positive, 2410ma (or 2.4 Amps).

Keep in mind amperage ratings are typically the maximum the device is safely capable of delivering. The device you are powering determines the current drawn, not the supply. In reality the AXIM will take much less than 2.4 amps. Much less on the capability of the supply and it will start getting hot, which is undesireable.

Typically getting close to the rated current for a supply will also result in a drop in output voltage if the supply is not well regulated. Well regulated costs more. If the supply drops below some voltage value, it will no longer be able to push electrons into the battery, charging it.

The AXIM seems to like a bit more voltage than most PPCs, 5.4VDC vs 5VDC. That is one reason there is some inconsistancy with the USB chargers. If the USB port is regulated well enough to hold the voltage up while still delivering the current the AXIM draws, it all works. As I said, regulated costs, so well regulated USB ports cost money.

If the voltage is too high from the supply, the battery charges too quickly getting hot and hurting it. Alternately the charging circuitry in the PPC must reduce the voltage to and acceptable level to charge the battery properly. The only way it can dissipate that extra energy is again, heat.

These are just general comments on how charging works. I expect you will be able to find a combination for your charger that will work just fine on the AXIM. If not, charging solutions abound for very little money.

neil ivymount
06-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Doh! Never thought to look on the AC adapter for the info. Thanks to all!!