View Full Version : Which pocket pc for me?

flipmatrix
06-01-2003, 05:00 AM
Hi all. I am a computer geek, but have never owned a pocket pc (or even a palm pilot for that matter). But, as the technology for handhelds keeps improving, I have finally decided to take the plunge into getting a p-pc...

I need advice on which to get, or at least help narrowing down the selection. I want a color screen, and one that is sophisticated but not neccessarily the best on the market. I would like one that can connect to my cell-phone if possible and also that supports the "Navigational System" pluggin device.

* I'm hoping to find a generous deal off of ebay as I am not exactly exploding with cash!

Suggestions? Anyone?

THANK YOU

Dermot81
06-01-2003, 06:20 AM
Well I suggest waiting for another month and a half or so for the new HP models.

Everyone who's anyone in Pocket PCs is waiting for the new H2200, it has everything you can ask for :)

Shaun Stuart
06-01-2003, 10:28 AM
I agree that waiting for a month or two is probably the best thing to do but personaly I am undecided over the new HP 2200 and Mitacs 558. Not sure if the Mitac will be available in all markets but it looks like the right pocket pc for me

3.5" transflective screen
DUAL SLOTS cf and sdio
BT and Wi-fi
64MB ram and 64Mb Rom
32bits Memory
1400mah swappable battary
buildin USB mini-port
jog wheel
only 15.3mm thick and 170g weight

Pony99CA
06-01-2003, 12:20 PM
I am a computer geek, but have never owned a pocket pc (or even a palm pilot for that matter).

They haven't been called "Palm Pilots" for years. The maker of Pilot pens sued Palm. (I only say this so you'll avoid flames in the future.)

I want a color screen, and one that is sophisticated but not neccessarily the best on the market. I would like one that can connect to my cell-phone if possible and also that supports the "Navigational System" pluggin device.
First, you'll have to search far and wide to find a Pocket PC that does not have a color screen nowadays.

Second, by "Navigational System", do you mean GPS (Global Positioning System)? If so, you'll want either an iPAQ that supports a GPS sleeve or a Pocket PC with both a Compact Flash slot (for the GPS receiver) and an SD slot (for a memory card to store maps on).

That still leaves you a lot of choices. If you don't need one now, you can wait for the next generation when Pocket PC 2003/4 comes out. Even if you can't afford one of the newer devices, the prices of devices with Pocket PC 2002 should drop quite a bit.

If you want one right away, check out the Dell Pocket PCs (http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/topics/segtopic_axim.htm). They seem to have the best price/performance ratio now.

Steve

Thinkingman
06-04-2003, 03:33 AM
The Toshibs 740 should be going down in price since the new model is coming out. It has both the CF and SD slots... that will help with your gps and maps on memory.
The HP2200 is something I want to check out in person myself, but I am not sure if it will be worth the money. I want a ppc but not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on one.

nickl
06-04-2003, 03:55 AM
Dude, get a Dell. Axim X5 basic sellin' for $175 now ...