View Full Version : Integrated Keyboards

ekconrad
06-01-2003, 01:17 AM
Just curious.... :?: I like the idea of the integrated keyboards for PPC's, both built in and attachable, but what advantage does this bring to the user over the OS keyboard?

I started out as an avid block recognizer user for data input, then switched over to the screen keyboard and will never go back.

Janak Parekh
06-01-2003, 01:53 AM
Just curious.... :?: I like the idea of the integrated keyboards for PPC's, both built in and attachable, but what advantage does this bring to the user over the OS keyboard?
You mean, what's the advantage of a thumbboard as opposed to the SIP keyboard? The former lets you use two thumbs in a coordinated fashion as opposed to tapping. It's definitely faster than the regular onscreen keyboard, although it's worth mentioning that the Fitaly (www.fitaly.com) SIP comes darned close if you're good at it.

--janak

ekconrad
06-01-2003, 02:30 AM
The former lets you use two thumbs in a coordinated fashion as opposed to tapping. It's definitely faster than the regular onscreen keyboard, although it's worth mentioning that the Fitaly SIP comes darned close if you're good at it.

With the SIP keyboard, coupled with word completion, I can input data rather quickly. The setup of a thumb board looks to be rather difficult, trying to hold the unit and using the thumbs to input data at the same time... but of course, I'm an incredibly uncoordinated oaf. If I need to input data on my PPC quickly, and the atmosphere in which I would be doing so (i.e., in the office), a portable/foldout keyboard would be more suited to my needs. Regardless of my needs, I think the thumboard is a great idea! :D

Unreal32
06-02-2003, 02:46 PM
The former lets you use two thumbs in a coordinated fashion as opposed to tapping. It's definitely faster than the regular onscreen keyboard, although it's worth mentioning that the Fitaly SIP comes darned close if you're good at it.

With the SIP keyboard, coupled with word completion, I can input data rather quickly. The setup of a thumb board looks to be rather difficult, trying to hold the unit and using the thumbs to input data at the same time... but of course, I'm an incredibly uncoordinated oaf. If I need to input data on my PPC quickly, and the atmosphere in which I would be doing so (i.e., in the office), a portable/foldout keyboard would be more suited to my needs. Regardless of my needs, I think the thumboard is a great idea! :D

Actually, it's very easy to hold the PPC with thumbboard attached. I can get very high rates of input this way. I'm using the SnapNType keyboard with my iPaq. Although I would say the one thing I would really like to see is the ability to map other keys. I am forever hitting backspace when what I mean to hit is Return.

When a PocketPC ships with an integrated thumbboard, I will be one of the first in line to buy it! (The Palm Tungsten C was almost enough to get me to switch!)