View Full Version : eWallet Upgraded to 3.1

Jason Dunn
06-02-2003, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/ew/ewallet.htm#newf' target='_blank'>http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/ew/ewallet.htm#newf</a><br /><br /></div>"This exciting new version lets you rename fields with your own labels, save your cards as templates, and use them to make your own custom cards!"<br /><br />I'm curious - what electronic wallet programs do you use, if any?

Jacob
06-02-2003, 04:21 AM
Sweet!! I've been waiting for this update for a while now!!

I'm going to download it :D

Ed Hansberry
06-02-2003, 04:23 AM
Note that Iliumsoft has "FreeWallet" too. It is identical to eWallet but only supports 5 cards, so if you just have a few items you want to protect, check it out. http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/ew/freewallet.htm

Kati Compton
06-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Note that Iliumsoft has "FreeWallet" too. It is identical to eWallet but only supports 5 cards, so if you just have a few items you want to protect, check it out.
That's a slick idea. Kudos for them!

Pony99CA
06-02-2003, 07:34 AM
I use the eWallet that came with my iPAQ 3650, but I'm seriously considering upgrading to this version.

One thing I wish you could do was add new fields to a card. Ilium says that this version allows you to rename fields and create your own custom cards, which is nice, but can you actually add a new field instead of renaming one?

Finally, given the discussion in the "Is Your Data Secure?" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=117178), it would be nice if eWallet could support different encryption algorithms based on a user's security requirements.

Steve

Bruno
06-02-2003, 10:25 AM
One thing that annoys me with E-wallet is that the custom icons that you (manually!!) transfer to your pocket pc get converted to some special file format for e-wallet. Not only do they use a special file format, the file gets bigger also! :?

I have a bunch of homemade icons mostly consisting of company logos an web site logos (yes I have an icon for pocketpcthoughts to). This makes it much quicker to find the right item in the list for me. But when the desktop version of E-wallet uses standard icons at 4 KB each the pocket PC version uses these special files at 13 KB each! :evil:

Yes, I know that we have a lot of memory and that I should not care, but I just can’t figure out why this should be so, as the desktop version does just fine with standard icon files.

Ed Hansberry
06-02-2003, 01:39 PM
One thing that annoys me with E-wallet is that the custom icons that you (manually!!) transfer to your pocket pc get converted to some special file format for e-wallet. Not only do they use a special file format, the file gets bigger also! :?
Big annoyance for me too. :( My eWallet install folder is nearly 1MB in size and it is because of the 31 icons taking up just over 400KB of space. :?

Bruno
06-02-2003, 01:52 PM
My eWallet install folder is nearly 1MB in size and it is because of the 31 icons taking up just over 400KB of space. :?

Lucky you! :D I have 83 Icon files. Just the Icon files takes over 1 MB och precious memory away from me. :(

Ghost Dog
06-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Anybody using Flex Wallet care to give us a mini review?

Thanks

dcharles18
06-02-2003, 02:09 PM
eWallet, but not because I determined it was better than the others, just because it came free with my iPAQ.

Bajan Cherry
06-02-2003, 02:22 PM

Thanks
I use flex wallet and so far been quite happy with it. I have noticed some small annoyances with its password protection logic. I have seen it not working all the time. Sometimes if the device is switched off for long (with the active app being flex wallet with password protected wallet), and switched back again, flex wallet does not always ask for password.

That apart, I love the program. I though would have loved the feature of adding custom fields to the existing templates. I live in India, and sometime, the canned templates do not have the kind of fields I require. I can add such extra info in notes, but that is at-best accomodating my needs with the program.

Ilium Software
06-02-2003, 02:23 PM
When we added custom icons to eWallet (mid-2001) we had trouble getting the Windows CE native support for .ico files to work correctly on all icons. We haven't checked to see if this is improved with Pocket PC 2002 or 2003, but will do so. We'll see if we can support both formats (our current and .ico) so that people using custom icons and Pocket PC 2000 don't break.

--------------------------
Ellen Craw
Ilium Software
http://www.iliumsoft.com

Jason Dunn
06-02-2003, 02:33 PM

Overall, great program. I really like the fact that I can bypass having to punch in my password on the desktop client, and that the buttons are nice and big on the Pocket PC client (I stopped using CodeWallet for this very reason: it wasn't "finger friendly"). The UI is crisp and clean on Flex Wallet, which is probably why I like it so much. :-) It's not perfect though: there are some frustrating limitations. For instance, on the desktop client (which I use a LOT), you can't click in the notes field and start typing. You have to right-click on the card, go into properties, then go into the text field. :| You also can't select text and CONTROL+C to copy it - you have to right-click the text then select COPY. Very irritating, and it slows me down when I'm working. :?

You also can't add custom fields to a card after it's been created, so make sure your templates are 100% perfect before using them (mine rarely are, there's always something I miss, hence my frustration with this limitation).

I think one of the reasons why I'm sticking with FlexWallet is that I'm very impressed with Two Peaks as a Pocket PC development company: they seem very comitted to improving their products, so I'm really hoping Flex Wallet 2.0 will make me smile. :mrgreen:

PeterLake
06-02-2003, 02:44 PM
This would be a great topic for PPCT reviewers: a comparison of these programs.

jsanfordii
06-02-2003, 02:47 PM
I tried finding the download link for the upgrade on their site, but all I can find is a reference to current customers will recieve an email by July.

Has anyone found where to get the update yet? Handago?

james

Ilium Software
06-02-2003, 03:23 PM
James,

You can download the trial from our site; if you previously unlocked a 3.0 version it will already be unlocked. If not, please write to us and we'll send you unlock codes.

----------------------------
Ellen Craw
Ilium Software
http://www.iliumsoft.com

srs
06-02-2003, 05:04 PM
This would be a great topic for PPCT reviewers: a comparison of these programs.

I second that

brianchris
06-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Overall, great program. I really like the fact that I can bypass having to punch in my password on the desktop client, and that the buttons are nice and big on the Pocket PC client (I stopped using CodeWallet for this very reason: it wasn't "finger friendly"). The UI is crisp and clean on Flex Wallet, which is probably why I like it so much. :-) It's not perfect though: there are some frustrating limitations. For instance, on the desktop client (which I use a LOT), you can't click in the notes field and start typing. You have to right-click on the card, go into properties, then go into the text field. :| You also can't select text and CONTROL+C to copy it - you have to right-click the text then select COPY. Very irritating, and it slows me down when I'm working. :?

You also can't add custom fields to a card after it's been created, so make sure your templates are 100% perfect before using them (mine rarely are, there's always something I miss, hence my frustration with this limitation).

I think one of the reasons why I'm sticking with FlexWallet is that I'm very impressed with Two Peaks as a Pocket PC development company: they seem very comitted to improving their products, so I'm really hoping Flex Wallet 2.0 will make me smile. :mrgreen:

Regarding FlexWallet, I couldn't agree more Jason:

1) Two Peaks has done some exciting stuff, and has listened to customer input (although not so much with Flex Wallet it would seem).
2) Custom templetes is the primary reason I switched to Flex Wallet, however insuring your templetes are *perfect* before you use them is a BIG problem for me......this limitation *has* to be corrected....otherwise the custom card feature is all but worthless. It sounds like eWallet's new feature is similar (i.e. custom cards/fields)? If so, does it have the same limitation (once used, can't be modified again)? If not, I'd probably switch today.
3) There doesn't seem to be a "Show Passwords" button in the desktop client as there is in the PPC client.....you have to double click the card to see the password :(
4) CodeWallet Pro (what I used before Flex Wallet) allowed me to right-click any field on any card (without opening the card) and select "copy", which I could then paste anywhere (i.e. website password field, etc.) To do this in Flex Wallet, I have to double click the card, highlight all the text in the field I want, select copy, then close the card.....THIS has slowed me down tremedously.
5) If I open FlexWallet by mistake (which I often do as its in my quick launch on my desktop), there is no cancel button on the password entry screen.....to clear that window, I have to enter my password.....is it really that hard to create a cancel button on the password screen?
4) Sometimes the desktop client doesn't lock itself out after being open for a while (like its supposed to), and sometimes it has locked itself WHILE I"VE BEEN TYPING IN IT, erasing all my data entry and making me say words that aren't appropriate for a public forum :evil:

Anyway, although FlexWallet is a good start, there is a lot of room for improvements, and there have been no patches or updates to FlexWallet in some time......I, personally, have emailed this long laundry list (plus more) of suggestions to Two Peaks, and, unlike Two Peaks, there has been no response. You reference FlexWallet 2.0......anything specific or are you just hoping?

-Brian

CTSLICK
06-02-2003, 06:35 PM
I just use a password protected HanDBase table. Hope thats good enough to deter all but the more determined hackers.

Ed Hansberry
06-02-2003, 07:31 PM
I just use a password protected HanDBase table. Hope thats good enough to deter all but the more determined hackers.
I am not sure what HanDBase is using for encryption, but it is HIPPA's security standards, so you should be fine. :D

Xyress
06-02-2003, 08:54 PM
Is there any way to delete templates? I made one by accident and now I have an extra one out there that is taking up space.

Will T Smith
06-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Regarding eWallet.

I think it's the best "crypto-base" for PocketPC. I've been using it ever since my Compaq Aero days.

However, the lack of record based (as opposed to file based) synchronization is really starting to irk me. Whats even more frustrating is that their Palm version HAS this capability.

Yes it does require writing an ActiveSync portal. My understanding is that this is a pain in the ass. However, they have a LOT of customers and the little extra effort would justify this in customer satisfaction. I would pay for such an upgrade.

I'm so frustrated with this lack of functionality that I would switch IN A SECOND, if another vendor offered record based syncronization. I'm so frustrated by it's absence that I'm considering writing my own crypto-record repository just to make the feature available.

Please Ilium, save me some time and effort. Add the feature. Otherwise I'll have to do it myself.

Mexico
06-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Hey, Will T. Smith, you are a Pocket PC Theorist now! :rock on dude!:

mm
06-03-2003, 03:57 AM
I have been using ewallet for a couple of years or more and tried Flexwallet, but liked ewallet better.

I wish Iliumsoft would add an import from a CDF file. I have many passwords in a excel password protected file and would live to put them in ewallet in one swoop rather than one at a time ( I never get to it)

ctmagnus
06-03-2003, 04:12 AM
I tried eWallet when I first got my PPC but didn't like the look of it. I was keeping stuff in a password-protected ListPro list for a while but now I use FlexWallet.

Ilium Software
06-06-2003, 08:28 PM

It sounds like eWallet's new feature is similar (i.e. custom cards/fields)? If so, does it have the same limitation (once used, can't be modified again)? If not, I'd probably switch today.

-Brian

eWallet 3.1 templates work like those found in famliar Desktop applications. A template can be modified even after it is used. A card can be modified after it is created from a template.

Ilium Software
06-06-2003, 08:35 PM
Is there any way to delete templates? I made one by accident and now I have an extra one out there that is taking up space.

The template wallet is in the eWallet installation directory, usually

\Program Files\eWallet\template.wlt

Templates can be maintained by opening this wallet from File Explorer.

Ilium Software
06-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Regarding eWallet.

I think it's the best "crypto-base" for PocketPC. I've been using it ever since my Compaq Aero days.

However, the lack of record based (as opposed to file based) synchronization is really starting to irk me. Whats even more frustrating is that their Palm version HAS this capability.

Yes it does require writing an ActiveSync portal. My understanding is that this is a pain in the ass. However, they have a LOT of customers and the little extra effort would justify this in customer satisfaction. I would pay for such an upgrade.

I'm so frustrated with this lack of functionality that I would switch IN A SECOND, if another vendor offered record based syncronization. I'm so frustrated by it's absence that I'm considering writing my own crypto-record repository just to make the feature available.

Please Ilium, save me some time and effort. Add the feature. Otherwise I'll have to do it myself.

I agree that this is a desirable feature. All I can say is that it is against our policy to comment on the content of upcomng releases. :wink:

Pony99CA
06-07-2003, 06:05 AM
eWallet 3.1 templates work like those found in famliar Desktop applications. A template can be modified even after it is used. A card can be modified after it is created from a template.
Does this mean you can modify the template by adding new fields, or only modify the templates by changing existing fields?

Steve

Kati Compton
06-07-2003, 06:08 AM
And I imagine that if you delete a field, you'll lose data. If that's even allowed... No way around that, though. ;) Hope there's a warning to the user before it's deleted and they have a chance to cancel...

Video11
06-07-2003, 11:32 AM
For me its eWallet. It came down to customer service. A while ago I misplaced by registration information (OK, I deleted it by mistake :oops: ). Within an hour of sending Ilium software a request they had resent my registration codes and I was back up and running. Great customer service should be rewarded with loyalty.

For those looking for a review and comparison of all three wallet programs, you can check out Jenneth's Review (http://www.jenneth.info/archives/000049.html) of eWallet, Code Wallet Pro and flexWallet posted back in February.

Ilium Software
06-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Does this mean you can modify the template by adding new fields, or only modify the templates by changing existing fields?

Steve
We are still working to find the best way to allow users to add fields.

Ilium Software
06-13-2003, 10:14 PM
For me its eWallet. It came down to customer service. A while ago I misplaced by registration information (OK, I deleted it by mistake :oops: ). Within an hour of sending Ilium software a request they had resent my registration codes and I was back up and running. Great customer service should be rewarded with loyalty.

For those looking for a review and comparison of all three wallet programs, you can check out Jenneth's Review (http://www.jenneth.info/archives/000049.html) of eWallet, Code Wallet Pro and flexWallet posted back in February.
The February review was of eWallet 3.0. She has an update based on 3.1.
http://www.jenneth.info/archives/000111.html

Ed Hansberry
06-13-2003, 10:30 PM

Uhm.... that doesn't look like eWallet on a Pocket PC.

:bangin:

:wink: :lol:

Ilium Software
06-24-2003, 07:04 PM

Uhm.... that doesn't look like eWallet on a Pocket PC.

:bangin:

:wink: :lol:
The images are indeed from the Palm version. The feature list for the Palm version is the same as the Pocket PC version. The text of the article points this out. A quote from the article:
This new functionality now makes eWallet the best Pocket PC wallet program available. To sweeten the deal, eWallet is also available for each of my babies - my iPAQ 3970, SPV Smartphone and Zire 71 - the only wallet program that supports all of these platforms.