View Full Version : Argh, I want a new Pocket PC!

Hyperluminal
05-31-2003, 06:39 PM
I've wanted to get a new PPC for a while, to replace my old iPaq 3835. Basically, I want wireless (802.11b and possibly BT), a transflective screen, and a smaller device. I'd also like XScale, since my iPaq seems kind of slow, though I may just need to hard reset it to clear out any junk that could be hogging system resources. Anyway, I've been waiting to upgrade for a while, because I didn't want to get a PPC just to have it obsoleted by PPC2003 devices, and to gamble as to whether I could upgrade it.

Anyway, I've managed to be pretty happy with it, until now. My power button fell in a bit, and now I can't use it. I'd heard of this happening, but it never happened to me! ;) So now I don't know what to do. It's out of warranty, so HP won't fix it (although I guess I could call them anyway, just in case they do fix it). I can't sell it, at least not for much. Normally I'd just buy a new one, since I want one anyway and this is kind of the last straw, but PPC2003's probably going to be out soon (especially if that June 23 thing is right).

Anyway, can I fix this? I guess I could just map an app button to power on, (and maybe power off?), but that's annoying. Maybe I'll just use my Newton for a month... ;)

blazingwolf
05-31-2003, 06:47 PM
I would imagine that Pocket PC Techs (http://www.pocketpctechs.com) could fix it. You could give them a call to see.

Hyperluminal
05-31-2003, 06:50 PM
Hmm, maybe. Although I don't know how much money I want to put in a Pocket PC that I'm going to be get rid of soon anyway. Although then I could sell it for a lot more.
Thanks for the idea :)

dMores
05-31-2003, 09:38 PM
wait for the new fujitsu-siemens pocket loox with integrated wifi & bluetooth.

ready for ppc2003 too.

pocketpcdude1024
05-31-2003, 09:52 PM
Wait a month (if you can) ;) . If PPC2003 isn't out by July then buy another Pocket PC. OEMs will probably offer upgrades for new PPCs. ;)

M@
05-31-2003, 10:43 PM
Hit it a few times.*

That's what I do when my CD writer makes awful noises.

Hit it.*

It can't do much damage as it is already broken.

Hit it.*

Surprising, sometimes it springs back into action and sucessfully burns CDs

Hit it.*

My monitor did the same trick, kept flickering. Guess what I did?

Hit it.*

Worked.. temporarily untill It died. So now I have a MASSIVE Compaq monitor... Great!

Hit it.*

P/PC's are very small, you make need a miniture hand... Perhaps find a small child to...

Hit it.*

*Don't hold me responsible for any extra damage to your P/PC. But you cannot deny electronics make the best stress ball, they make a satisfying sort of crunch when you eventually conquer them. I guess that's why I only have 2 remote controls...

Kati Compton
05-31-2003, 11:24 PM

Hit it.*
My friend has a manual for his monitor that says that when there are problems such as flickering, one should "apply light shock to side of unit with open hand".

M@
05-31-2003, 11:31 PM

Hit it.*
My friend has a manual for his monitor that says that when there are problems such as flickering, one should "apply light shock to side of unit with open hand".

No. You hit it.

Gremmie
05-31-2003, 11:40 PM

ready for ppc2003 too.

Agreed, See the new OS, then see the new loox and maybe there will be a compaq upgrade to the new OS with a patch for the WiFi stack problem.

Mitch D
06-01-2003, 01:20 AM

ready for ppc2003 too.

I remember seeing link for a company in the states (or abroad) that sold the Loox. Do anyone happen to know the addy for them?

Hyperluminal
06-01-2003, 04:39 AM
Wait a month (if you can) ;) . If PPC2003 isn't out by July then buy another Pocket PC. OEMs will probably offer upgrades for new PPCs. ;)
Yeah, you're probably right. Although, I may just break down and buy a 5455 anyway... ;)

They probably would offer an upgrade, still I wouldn't want to buy a product I know would be obsoleted in a few weeks... :?

Thinkingman
06-01-2003, 08:29 AM
hit it first because it will make you feel better, then go and see if there is anything out there that you would like to have right now.
I know 2003 is coming, but you should be able to get that as an uprade.
I was thinking, you are going to run into needing patches and upgrades once 2003 comes out, so does it matter if you upgrade to it or wait until it comes out?
I have been wanting to test a Fujitsu model myself, but havent been able to get a hold of one. I have used their laptops and they are great! Better than the crappy sony vaio i have. :evil:

Hyperluminal
06-01-2003, 02:14 PM
They probably would sell an upgrade, especially for a high-end device like the 5455. The reason I'd like to wait would be to not obsolete my new PPC when the newer ones come out later this month...

RichardL890
06-01-2003, 07:04 PM
I'd wait until the newer ones come out in July since I've heard and seen firsthand several problems with the 5455. Plus the new ones will have a newer version of the xscale.

Hyperluminal
06-02-2003, 12:27 AM
Yeah, it only makes sense to wait. It's the choice of getting 6 month old technology, or waiting a few weeks and getting the absolute latest device, for pretty much the same price...

hollis_f
06-02-2003, 07:21 AM
wait for the new fujitsu-siemens pocket loox with integrated wifi & bluetooth.Then wait another couple of months to make sure that the new Loox isn't as buggy as the first one (flickering, inaccurate, non-responsive screen and a BT implementation that could only sync with an FSC laptop).

ironguy
06-02-2003, 03:48 PM
A friend of mine at work had his power button on his Handspring press in and stay there with no power. He couldn't get it to pop out, so he ended up buying a new Toshiba PPC.

The he accidentally dropped the Handspring on the floor. Guess what? Yep. The button popped out and it works fine. So...

*** Hit it! ***

Hyperluminal
06-02-2003, 10:34 PM
Drop my iPaq? Maybe if I can be sure no one will buy it... :)

Thinkingman
06-04-2003, 03:25 AM
haha, you drop it and then it works after buying new one, the irony of life i say.
Iknow the 2003's are coming, but I dont want to spend a lot of money, I will probably get something now and doan up grade at some time. I am thinking about getting a Toshiba 740 since the newmodels are coming out, I can get a price break.