View Full Version : new 30gb ipod

andrewlwood
05-31-2003, 09:42 AM
I just bought one on an impulse - saw it in a shop, and as I have a firewire port on my laptop, and it supports PC out of the box now, I thought I'd go for it.

I have to say, it is without doubt the most beautiful, usable and plainly WELL-THOUGHT-THROUGH piece of kit I have ever owned. Anyone want to buy a second hand Nomad3?

Hyperluminal
05-31-2003, 06:01 PM
I know exactly what you mean. My father has an Archos Jukebox, which is kind of bulky, and the interface is really a pain to use. When I first used the iPod, and then the new one, it was amazing. It's just so much better.
I remember hearing that some former Newton engineers worked on the iPod. I don't know if that's true, but it would make sense, considering how intuitive, and just fast (in terms of navigation), the iPod is.

I have a FireWire port too. Does the iPod work with a 4-pin port, or does it need a 6-pin?

Kati Compton
05-31-2003, 06:05 PM
I have a FireWire port too. Does the iPod work with a 4-pin port, or does it need a 6-pin?

6. You can use an adapter, but then it won't be powered.

Hyperluminal
05-31-2003, 06:20 PM
Oh, OK. I wasn't really planning on getting one anyway- that's what a Pocket PC's for, right? ;)

Kati Compton
05-31-2003, 06:29 PM
Oh, OK. I wasn't really planning on getting one anyway- that's what a Pocket PC's for, right? ;)
If you want an iPod, just get an adapter.

Hyperluminal
05-31-2003, 06:36 PM
No, I was serious. ;)
I was only curious, I don't really want an iPod (enough to get one), at least not right now...

andrewlwood
06-01-2003, 01:14 AM
the ipod comes with the adapter from 6 to 4 pin included.
it IS a bit of a pain not to charge it from the cradle at teh same time as syncing, but how often do you really need to sync?

Once a week after the cd run :)

nosmohtac
06-01-2003, 03:13 AM
Anyone want to buy a second hand Nomad3?

How much?

ghostppc
06-02-2003, 05:49 PM
No, I was serious. ;)
I was only curious, I don't really want an iPod (enough to get one), at least not right now...

Nothing like peer pressure :) Were becoming like used car salesmen over here LOL!

davidspalding
06-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Silly question ... do iPods support play lists, that you can create on the Mac/PC and store on the device? Or do you have to sort through a gazillion MP3s to find some to play?

This is what irked me about Pocket PC 2000's Windows Media Player, and the WMP for Pocket PC version that came with it, andversion 7.1. Creating a playlist on the PDA is excruciatingly painful unless the filename of the MP3 starts with the album title, track number, and then the track name. WMP for PC 9 does okay creating a play list, but it's bloated beyond belief. I still do a better job with my own script converting a directory listing to an .ASX play list and copying it, with the MP3 tracks, into a dedicated folder on my PPC.

andrewlwood
06-05-2003, 03:18 PM
the ipods download playlists from Musicmatch or Ephpod, no problem. Ephpod also does the nice thing of taking recent additions and genres and making playlists automatically when you sync.

The ipod also has an option to make an on-the-fly playlist, which is handy - the old ones didn't, but this is fine. You can't save on-the-fly playlists though - they are wiped when you sync. not really a problem for me.

The more I use it, the more I like it. Unreservedly recommend it...