View Full Version : Activesync: Guest only

freitasm
05-31-2003, 04:35 AM
Yep, never had this problem before and I know how it started:

- removed Bluetooth drivers to update
- reboot
- ActiveSync complained the COM port is unavailable, choose to disable
listening the com port
- check ActiveSync and notice USB is now disabled as well, and greyed out!
- no way to recognise the device
- reinstall ActiveSync
- "This partneship already exists"
- Deleted partnership
- "This partneship already exists"
- changed name
- soft reset
- create new partnership with new name
- now connect as guest only

Tried re-registering XML, didn't work. Reinstalled IE SP1, removed and reinstall AS, didn't work.

Hard reset the H3970. Didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ed Hansberry
05-31-2003, 02:55 PM
When you say reregistering xml, you tried the regsvr32 msxlm3.dll command?

What about AS 3.7? That is supposed to be more reliable and does more to prevent "guest mode."

freitasm
05-31-2003, 10:29 PM

What about AS 3.7? That is supposed to be more reliable and does more to prevent "guest mode."

I don't have xml3, never had it. I only have the standard xml installed with W2K, and xml4, which I need for a test asp server I run in this machine. After the problem I've update xml4 to sp2 (released two weeks ago) which is in effect the same as registering the processor again.

I'm using AS 3.7 since its first appearance on the MS site :cry:

Thanks for the contact :)

PS. I've already removed, rebooted, reinstalled, hard reset the PPC, reinstalled, rebooted things during the whole Saturday. If I had to reinstall this W2K machine (which is a 36 hours exercise when counting the 5 CDs restore on top of all software) I'd go to the shop and buy a Palm T|C :devilboy:

PS II. It's the Queen's Birthday in New Zealand, holiday until Tuesday, and I'm on call from Monday morning - lots of time to reinstall things :wink:

Ed Hansberry
05-31-2003, 11:37 PM

I don't have xml3, never had it.
Are you sure? I just checked 3 Win2K servers and 3 Win2K Pro workstations. Every single one of them had:
08/29/2002 07:14a 1,122,304 msxml3.dll
in the c:\winnt\system32 folder. I am pretty sure that is a standard IE5 or higher file. Given that file date, I'd say these were updated with IE6Sp1. I do know it is not coming from the SP3 install.

What happens when you type regsvr32 msxml3.dll at the C:\ prompt?

If nothing, I'd say that is your problem. ActiveSync needs that file to work on NT based OSs. I think downloading MDAC 2.7 or later will install it. MDAC should be installed as a part of Office as well I believe, as part of the JET install.

freitasm
05-31-2003, 11:54 PM
Before I read your post I went back to MSDN and downloaded the MDAC refresh (listed a couple of weeks ago) and MSXML3.

Yes, I never had XML3 in this box, I'm sure about it. You can visit this page (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/msxml_sniffer.asp) to see a script I have in all my servers (no I don't run my production server from this machine, but I have it here too) reporting versions, and in this box I only had xml and xml4.

Anyway, installed both, rebooted, reset the device and tested again. Seems to be working again. I just have to restore the PPC now.

Thanks!

freitasm
05-31-2003, 11:56 PM
What happens when you type regsvr32 msxml3.dll at the C:\ prompt?

Before I installed msxml3 cab files it said "Loadlibrary ("msxml3.dll") failed - the specified module could not be found".

Ed Hansberry
06-01-2003, 12:04 AM
Yes, I never had XML3 in this box, I'm sure about it. You can visit this page (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/msxml_sniffer.asp) to see a script I have in all my servers (no I don't run my production server from this machine, but I have it here too) reporting versions, and in this box I only had xml and xml4.
I'd bet you'd find that some app you have put on or possibly put on then unregistred or removed XML3. If XML3 is unregistered, that script won't find it.

Anyway, glad you got it back on and all is working ok. :D