View Full Version : Syncing w/ office computer w/o a sync program

SLG2
05-30-2003, 10:40 PM
Here's the problem:

I want to sync my Pocket PC with my computer at work, but the computer is configured so it won't let me install ActiveSync or any other sync program on it. :roll: (Don't suggest hacking into my computer so that I obtain administrator privileges: the computer is the property of the federal government.)

I already sync with my home computer. I could e-mail new Outlook items from work to home, save the items at home and then sync there. Is there any more elegant solution?

dMores
05-30-2003, 11:47 PM
are you connected to an exchange server at work? if you are, you might be able to talk to the tech guys to see if it is possible to access your data via gprs or from your home-pc.

a quick google showed me this (http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm) page. seems like you could sync your work and home outlook folders, thus getting your work data onto your pda.

sorry if this isn't of any help, i "forced" my tech guys to give me local admin rights, AS install wasn't a problem then.

Sven Johannsen
05-31-2003, 04:04 PM
Give up. Syncing, the combination and reconciliation of data on the two devices requires software. Even the option of syncing directly with an exchange server requires either MIS on a server of Server 2003 and exchange 2003. You'd have better luck selling a non-standard app on your PC.

You say it is a government PC. Do they support Palm Desktop? Palms seem to be as prevalent today in the government as GeoDex was when I was in. (A Palm costs less than a fully decked out GeoDex BTW). I'm just asking since it may be leverage to get them to install AS if they allow Palm Desktop. Be nice though. Catch more flies with honey than vinegar.