View Full Version : Moment of dread....

rapidnet_rick
05-30-2003, 04:59 AM
At work I recently received a new notebook....I have migrated most PC apps, and or their data...

Quick question....any easy way to do the same thing with the PPC?!?!?

IE, move all settings, apps, and data, partnership, etc...ie, all that is done via activesync?

Any thoughts, experience, or suggestions...

It is a royal pain to have to redo everything...

Thanks in advance...

Jason Dunn
05-30-2003, 05:23 AM
Nope, not that I'm aware of. It's not done via ActiveSync if you're talking about email settings, user info, etc. There's really no elegant way of doing this AFAIK... :|

rapidnet_rick
05-30-2003, 05:38 AM
Oh well..... I was wanting to believe that there was a tooth fairy, and that the easter bunny does exist....

Thanks.....for killing my dreams....

As far as with ActiveSync....

I could care less, if I need to buy something, then buy it I will....

I Sorta sound like Yoda there....

Kati Compton
05-30-2003, 06:16 AM
I Sorta sound like Yoda there....
Yeah - that's been going around a lot lately....

Possum48
05-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Not all your dreams were killed. There actually is a Santa Claus!! :D

ironguy
05-30-2003, 04:32 PM
It can be done if you stay with the same model. Create a backup on a storage card. Place said storage card in new device. Restore.

But then again, who wants the same device? Upgrade man! Your device is over a month old!

Don Tolson
05-30-2003, 09:23 PM
Ironguy... I thought I heard somewhere, that if, for instance, you took a backup onto a CF card on an IPAQ 3800, then took the card to a 5500 and tried to do a restore, the HP Backup utility came back with some message about the devices not being the same.

Do you have experience with doing this kind of transfer through CF card?

rapidnet_rick
05-31-2003, 03:30 AM
I am not refering to restoring a PPC...

Here is the issue... Whatever PC you use as your primary device to sync with has all the apps you have installed on the PPC... Now, that PC blows up, catches fire, someone steals it.... or you have to return it to work...

Now what?

Setup a new partnership and reinstall all the PPC apps on the new PC? What's even more of a pain, and really needs to be addressed are all the damn activation keys!!!! I have about 15 or 20 apps I have purchased. Now I have to re-install them all, and some require the activation key when re-installed on the PC.....Like Cadenza, or others.....It's just a pain.... There has got to be a better way!

Also, apps with username passwords, like Mazingo, AvantGo, etc.....even web favorites....bottom line, it is way too much work. Someone could make some good money, if they come up with a solution!

Just my opinion.....

blazingwolf
05-31-2003, 04:06 AM
Can't you use something like Norton Ghost or 1 of those programs that tranfers all of your data from 1 computer to another? I haven't done this myself but the way the products are represented they will transfer all of your files from your old computer to a new 1 without losing any data or programs. I can't remember any other product names. Sorry.

rapidnet_rick
05-31-2003, 10:42 AM
[quote="blazingwolf"]Can't you use something like Norton Ghost or 1 of those programs that tranfers all of your data from 1 computer to another? /quote]

You could, IF the hardware was exactly the same! If the hardware is much different, then nothing but problems, at best. At worst, the system will never even boot...............

rapidnet_rick
05-31-2003, 10:43 AM
Can't you use something like Norton Ghost or 1 of those programs that tranfers all of your data from 1 computer to another?

You could, IF the hardware was exactly the same! If the hardware is much different, then nothing but problems, at best. At worst, the system will never even boot...............