View Full Version : Looking for advice on a notebook

hubcap
05-30-2003, 03:41 AM
I'll preface this by saying that I've looked through a number of the recent posts regarding people looking for advice for purchasing a notebook pc.

I'm looking for a notebook pc for home use. This would be the first notebook that I have owned and I'm looking to supplement my existing desktop pc. I don't expect to travel much with this notebook - just move around from kitchen to bedroom to patio, etc., so portability is not the primary requirement. Where I live, I have only recently had the option of getting a reasonably priced broadband internet connection, of which I have taken advantage. My next step is a wireless setup. I don't consider myself a power user or hardcore gamer, but I do have a tendency to grow into the capabilities of new toys, err, I mean tools.

My use would primarily be for Office apps, surfing, photo editing, some gaming, a little video manipulation, and who knows what else.

Price really isn’t a limitation, but it certainly is a consideration. So when a new Circuit City open nearby with an add for an Emachines M5305 http://store.emachines.com/emachines/storefront/accessorize.do?productId=111&action=new (hope that works), I decided to stretch out to this knowledgeable community and see what they thought about this notebook, which after instant savings and rebate can be had for $999. I been unable to find many reviews of these new Emachines notebooks.

Any and all comments, suggestions for alternative systems, etc. are much appreciated.
[/url]

Kati Compton
05-30-2003, 04:48 AM
I don't know about that laptop, but right now I'm on a Compaq Evo N600c that we got for $999. It's pretty nice. It's a "thin and light" category, which means you can carry it around but it's significantly bigger than an ultra-portable. 14" display, 5.5lbs or something like that.

Jason Dunn
05-30-2003, 05:25 AM
Based on pure specs alone, that eMachines notebook is damn impressive for the price! 8O For $999, it's a no-brainer...

hubcap
05-30-2003, 05:59 AM
The other lower priced notebooks that I have been looking at are Compaqs, but the weight vs. screen size is one thing that seemed to be an advantage of the Emachines. It looks to be relatively light for a 15.4" screen - 6.5 lbs.

But again, portability is not my major concern. Features and the ability for me to use it for at least a couple of years are more important.

targetdrone
05-30-2003, 12:53 PM
I love my laptop. Even though it is a couple of years old now, it is still extremely functional. It's a Compaq 1720.

My advice for you is the same with almost any hi-tech product: Buy the best you can afford for the lowest price you can find.....and don't whine when the price goes down.

dh
05-30-2003, 02:14 PM
I have a couple of notebooks, a Dell (belongs to my company) and a Thinkpad (mine).

I have used Thinkpads for years and had no problems at all. I have not checked pricing for ages, but if you could find a good deal they are hard to beat.

The Dell notebook is just OK.