View Full Version : Activesync with secondary accounts in XP (over wireless)

corral_de_manzana
05-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Greetings,

I have got an iPAQ 3870 which connects to my desktop PC via an 802.11b connection. Everything works fine when I am logged onto the PC (wireless internet surfing, activesync, etc.) but if another user is logged on, I can continue to surf the web and browse the PC but cannot run activesync (3.7). Instead, I get a "Network Connection" message telling me "A partnership has not been established with this PC".

Just to confuse things slightly, it worked fine for one day, no matter who was logged on to the PC but (famous last words) I don't believe that anyything has changed since then.

Anybody got any ideas?

ironguy
05-29-2003, 04:14 PM
When I log out and someone else logs in, my partnership is not recognized. Try just switching users instead of logging out and see if that works. There shold also be a way to make AS available for all users. I'm getting an 802.11 setup soon and am very interested in seeing where this leads.

corral_de_manzana
05-29-2003, 04:36 PM
I have continued to play with this since my first message but no joy yet. Switching users rather than logging off doesn't make any difference.

JonnoB
05-29-2003, 05:09 PM
This is one of the problems I have with Activesync.... it won't work with multiple users even if using FUS (Fast User Switching) in WinXP. In fact, when I switch to another user and back, I have multiple Activesync icons in the system tray that all but one are dead.

Also, I have one system that has multiple users and multiple Pocket PC devices connected to it. I consider this a bug - both devices try to create a partnership under each user seperately - I want only one device associated with each user.

corral_de_manzana
06-27-2003, 04:43 PM
Here is a slightly strange update to my post of several weeks ago. This morning, for no immediately apparent reason, Activesync started to work even when somebody else was using the desktop PC.

What changed? I don't really know, but the desktop did crash first thing this morning (not something that happens very often) and Activesync has been working as I had hoped it would since then....

Now, I just wonder what will happen when I turn the desktop and PDA on tomorrow morning... :robot:

davidspalding
06-27-2003, 07:05 PM
It probably has to do with the "other user" running Outlook or not. SEveral years ago, there was a problem with Outlook 97/2000 -- it could not access more than one profile at one time. Don't know if this is fixed.

Since I imagine that AS is not a service (running in the background all the time, answering calls from users with different access privileges), I imagine it ONLY works when someone is logged in. If someone else is logged in, AS may be resident, but if ANOTHER Outlook profile is in use, I'd bet that AS can't access the Outlook profile for the user who's trying to sync.

So try this:

1. Have someone else log in. Sync. Can you?
2. Have the somone else open Outlook with a different profile. sync. Can you?
3. Have that person CLOSE Outlook (check Task manager to ensure it's not resident). Sync. Can you?
4. Have the person log out. sync. Can you?

If my theory is correct, chalk this up to another lame limitation of ActiveSync. It only works for computers with the PDA's user's account logged in and active. Stupid, stupid Microsoft. :(

corral_de_manzana
06-30-2003, 10:36 AM
I could do everything on the list yesterday - the other profile was running, including Outlook and synchronisation was fine, but today, in time for a new week, we are back to normal - I think I just need to write this down as a limitation of AS and not worry about it any more since it will (obviously) be fixed in the next release...... won't it :jester: