View Full Version : PDA to Phone sync?

pschultz
05-28-2003, 08:25 PM
Is there a software program that I can use to sync my datebook and contacts to my cell phone? I already have a data cable that I use to connect to Verizon Wireless's network. I know that I could buy a cable to hook up to my computer and sync via TrueSync, but I didn't know if I could use my current cable. Thanks for the help.

dMores
05-28-2003, 09:51 PM
hmm, most of the time there is software available from the telephone manufacturer.

what phone do you have?

pschultz
05-28-2003, 10:29 PM
Motorola T720

axe
05-28-2003, 11:19 PM
I have not had much luck finding a sync util for my Nokia 3360 phone from my PPC, but I have played with Peacemaker for the PPC. Using Peacemaker, I can beam contacts from my PPC to my phone, but not the other direction, over IR. One note though, not all the info is beamed across, and I haven't matched up the fields the PPC sends vs what the phone maps them to. This will take some fiddling to work everything out, but it does work to some extent.
I don't remember exactly, but I think the calendar entries beam as well.

Worth a shot if you have some time to play with it. Otherwise I agree with dMores, the sync util would work from the phone to the PC syncing with outlook, which would further sync to the PPC.
Good luck!
AXE

dMores
05-28-2003, 11:20 PM
i've checked the motorola homepage, they offer a download of truesync (http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/software/motorola_ss_downloads.htm), but it's only an update. didn't you get any software with your data cable? here (http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/software/motorola_ss_t720i.htm) are some manuals you can download.

you are talking about phone - desktop sync, right?

if you want to sync with your pda, i can recommend IA Phone Manager (http://www.iastyle.com/iapm/index.asp). this is what i'm using. there's mPhone (http://www.mobem.com) too, which seems to be updated more frequently, but since i have not had good experiences with their support team, i have decided to go with IA Phone Manager. The IA Style guys are very helpful, at the moment they seem to be working a lot more for the ms smartphone platform, so phone manager isn't being upgraded at the moment.

pschultz
05-28-2003, 11:37 PM
you are talking about phone - desktop sync, right?
I want to sync my phone to my PDA, but all I found was a desktop to PDA sync. I purchased a data cable from Motorola to connect to my PDA to connect to Verizon Wireless' data network. I could always purchase the data cable from Motorola, but I was trying to save a few bucks.

pschultz
05-28-2003, 11:42 PM
if you want to sync with your pda, i can recommend IA Phone Manager (http://www.iastyle.com/iapm/index.asp)
Thanks for the link.

I am mainly looking for a program to sync my calendar to my phone.

dMores
05-29-2003, 12:05 AM
hmmm ... sorry for the misunderstanding.
unfortunately neither ia phone manager nor mphone can sync calendar entries, they're for ringtone, contacts, images only.

sorry, i'm at my wit's end here.

pschultz
05-29-2003, 12:47 AM
hmmm ... sorry for the misunderstanding.
unfortunately neither ia phone manager nor mphone can sync calendar entries, they're for ringtone, contacts, images only.

sorry, i'm at my wit's end here.
That's alright. Thanks for the help anyways.

I just purchased the USB Data Cable with TrueSync software from Motorola so that will solve the problem.

maximus
05-29-2003, 02:01 AM
What bothers me with the T720's USB cable is that .. it can only sync your phone with a PC, but cant do any upload. What's up with that ? I was wondering and wondering and wondering, why didnt motorola installed somekind of USB host on T720, so that we can actually upload wallpapers/screensavers/ringtones into this otherwise-perfect device ?

Those Motorola guys always built a technically super-cool gadgets, but they always skipped something important. Doh. I think they need to replace the VP of marketing with someone more 'technological' 8O

pschultz
05-29-2003, 03:53 AM
What bothers me with the T720's USB cable is that .. it can only sync your phone with a PC, but cant do any upload. What's up with that ? I was wondering and wondering and wondering, why didnt motorola installed somekind of USB host on T720, so that we can actually upload wallpapers/screensavers/ringtones into this otherwise-perfect device ?

Those Motorola guys always built a technically super-cool gadgets, but they always skipped something important. Doh. I think they need to replace the VP of marketing with someone more 'technological' 8O
So I can send my Outlook information to my phone. But if I change anything on my phone, it just won't be updated on Outlook, correct?

If this is true, it won't be a big problem for me because I mainly want to just view my calendar. This is still a feature that they should have added.

dMores
05-29-2003, 11:05 AM
no need for a "usb host", this would simply mean that you can plug usb devices into the phone and they'd work.

they probably didn't include a file upload utility. synchronization works both ways, so if you change something on the phone, it'd be updated on the desktop as well.
but since i don't have a moto phone, i can only guess.

maybe they're trying to enforce wireless usage by forcing people to download apps directly to the phone :)