View Full Version : Toshiba e740 & USB Driver

DanMichSr
05-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Would anyone know of a USB driver that can be downloaded to the subject PDA. I have the Expansion Pack and it has the USB connection on it and the program I am running only recognizes COM3

baralong
05-29-2003, 10:36 AM
The e740 has builtin drivers for keyboard and mouse. You can get additional drivers for mass storage devices and a few other things.

have a look here (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57817) or here (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73213) or here (http://www.deje.gmxhome.de/)

or just search around on bright hand in the 700 series forum, you might find what you need there

CafeCat
05-30-2003, 05:42 AM
There is a trick on installing USB driver for e740.
You must install Microsoft Sync 3.5 on your PC when you install e740 USB driver. no 3.6, 3.7............. After you install USB driver successfully, upgrade your sync 3.5 to higher version. You can find sync3.5 on the CD come with e740.

DanMichSr
05-30-2003, 12:40 PM
I used the 3.5 to install a USB driver but apparently not the correct one. I'm not really sure how USB drivers actually work. Do you have to have a different USB driver for each of the individual items you want to plug into the Toshiba. If that is the case I guess it will be a cold day in H*** before I can get one to recognize the new GPS Earthmate by DeLorme "Comes with a USB cable" and they will not furnish a driver for PDA's

Thanks

CafeCat
06-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Please try 3.7.
It's said there was no need to install the Toshiba USB driver on a new PC to recognize e740.

DanMichSr
06-03-2003, 08:02 PM
I have no problem with the communication between my xp machine and the e740. My problem is that I have a GPS program installed on my e740 and it will only configure to COM3. The GPS system came with a usb cable and one end plugs into the GPS and the other end is USB. I can plug the USB into the Expansion Pack but of course it won't recognize the USB connection unless I have the driver ON THE E740. Toshiba and DeLorme WILL NOT supply a driver. I was just thinking that someone out there would know the answer. I guess there isn't.

algester
06-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Did you have a look at the possible options at http://www.pc-counselor.8m.com/u2s.htm. I took the second option, the cable came with a driver that sets up a virtual com port - cant remember which com port gets set up but can check if you want.

Your problem might still be that you are locked in to com3. I think I read somewhere disabling the IR port will release a com port.

DanMichSr
06-04-2003, 03:03 PM
Yes I took the IR port off and now have COM2 and 3. But since I don't have a driver for the USB on the PDA I'm stopped right there. They don't make a serial cable to go from the GPS to the e740 only the USB cable that came with the DeLorme. I need the driver to recognize the USB as a com port. Thanks alot..... :)

algester
06-04-2003, 10:34 PM
But sounds like all you need is to load the USB-Serial driver on your e740. From the PC-Counselor should be able to get the USBSER.DLL installed which should then allow your USB connection to the GPS to be seen by the e740 as COM connection.

DanMichSr
06-05-2003, 03:37 AM
Well I am just about ready to give up.....I downloaded the following...>>
USB Mass Storage Driver for Pocket PC 2002
Version 0.0.0.8 Alpha
Copyright (c) 2002 D. Jenett. All rights reserved.
Released on February 17, 2003
and followed the text up to the point of the "Device Sub Class" 1 through 6 and added the BufferSize and MaxTransfer to each of the 6 if that was what I was suppose to do. I did a soft reset and used the USB cable and nothing happens and it still shows up as either com2 or 3 I tried to select either of them and it doesn't make any difference. Was I suppose to leave all 6 in there or try one at a time....

DanMichSr
06-05-2003, 01:31 PM
Just more of an update. I left 6 sub-class's alone and did one at a time and #6 worked for me using MaxTranser 1536 and BufferSize 16384 but I do get "Storage Card Errors" # 1124 & 31. Probably just a small tweak somewhere. So we know the driver works. But when I do the same for the USB DeLorme GPS it doesn't even recognize that it's plugged in with the exception that the GPS lights up at the beginning but nothing on the Toshiba. There are so many settings in the sub class that I bet it would work if we knew what fields to change. Even if I had to keep using 6 and using the editor to change the settings back and fourth between my card reader and DeLorme. Well again thanks for all your help. Wouldn't that be great if someone could figure out how to make the GPS work since Toshiba and DeLorme won't even try.

algester
06-05-2003, 09:39 PM
Can you send me your email address to [email protected] and I'll send you small app that might work for you. What you loaded is the USB Mass Storage drive - which is explained in detail at this Brighthand thread http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64409.

I believe what you need is the USBSER driver.