View Full Version : Full Screen for Pocket Internet Explorer

Jason Dunn
05-26-2003, 04:39 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.h3.dion.ne.jp/~s9ho/soft/skHookIE/index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.h3.dion.ne.jp/~s9ho/soft...okIE/index.html</a><br /><br /></div>If you're looking for a free way to get Pocket Internet Explorer to work in full screen mode, check out this new piece of software dubbed <i>skHookIE</i>. It's still alpha software, so beware, but it seems like it's quite stable.

gregh
05-26-2003, 05:15 PM
how does it work jason, does it put the screen into landscape like thunderhawk?

Jason Dunn
05-26-2003, 05:26 PM
how does it work jason, does it put the screen into landscape like thunderhawk?

I have no clue - I use Pocket Plus from Spb, which already has this functionality, so I haven't tried this software out yet (and I probably won't). If you go to the site I linked to, you can see a screen shot, and it's not in landscape mode.

Scott R
05-26-2003, 05:39 PM
Does this (or the SPB app or any app for that matter), allow you to toggle landscape support without a hard reset?

And two unrelated questions about PPC browsers in general...
1) Do any/all of them support ClearType?

2) Do any of them support the HTML &lt; input type="file" > tag such that I could create a web page using this tag that would allow me to upload a file from a PPC to a web site?

Sorry, I'm still stuck at PPC 2000 on my old iPaq.

Scott

Jason Dunn
05-26-2003, 06:00 PM
Does this (or the SPB app or any app for that matter), allow you to toggle landscape support without a hard reset?

And two unrelated questions about PPC browsers in general...
1) Do any/all of them support ClearType?

2) Do any of them support the HTML &lt; input type="file" > tag such that I could create a web page using this tag that would allow me to upload a file from a PPC to a web site?

Sorry, I'm still stuck at PPC 2000 on my old iPaq.

Scott

1) No

2) Not to my knowledge. You can actually use a ClearType tag on the Web page to render the text in ClearType (we're going to implement this feature as part of our subscriber services).

3) I *think* Microsoft fixed this with Pocket PC 2002, but I'm not 100% sure.

gregh
05-26-2003, 06:37 PM
thunderhawk does landscape without a reset.

greg

JoeMoon
05-26-2003, 06:46 PM
thunderhawk does landscape without a reset.

greg

The only problem with Thunderhawk is that they want your first born child to use it... How many people actually subscribe to ThunderHawk's usage plan?

Joe...

gregh
05-26-2003, 07:38 PM
funny you ask, I always said I'd never pay, then when my trial ran out, going back to pie was awful, so I've subscribed.

greg

Fzara
05-26-2003, 07:50 PM
funny you ask, I always said I'd never pay, then when my trial ran out, going back to pie was awful, so I've subscribed.

greg

Those are only the "ploys" of software developers.

I agree. Pocket Plus serves me exceptionally well. I just wish there was a button within PIE to enable full screen, rather than going to the menu to enable full screen PIE.

Noel
05-26-2003, 08:57 PM
I've been testing out Net Front and Thunderhawk on trials... both are a MAJOR DON'T GO BACK TO PIE improvement - however I'm wondering (hoping) someone may care to share their critical assessment of available browser options... I would be grateful to hear them and find it very useful...
T-Minus 26 Days And Counting... :crazyeyes:

Noel

jeffmd
05-27-2003, 02:54 AM
where do you guys web serf?

I actually web serf over my phone, and with only 10megs a month, I run around websites using a WML proxy (supped up version of what web phones see, text only and strips out alot of formating tags so data rate is smaller then just turning image loading off), the thing is, netfront dosnt do wml.

btw, as weve seen, many people can't read. The page said (shows) it will allow ie to go FULL SCREEN, not WIDE SCREEN.

robert_biggs
05-27-2003, 04:17 AM
If you want ClearType on PIE, I suggest using Pocket Tweak (http://tillanosoft.com/ce/ptweak.html). It gives you lots of other options as well, including changing Today screen font.

juni
05-27-2003, 06:55 AM
There is also ftxPBrowser, which has tabbed windows etc.
http://www.af.wakwak.com/~ftoshi/pocket/index_e.html

Mark R Penn
05-27-2003, 09:41 AM

None of the utilities that allow you to go landscape require a hard reset. However, at the moment all of them require a soft reset, which if you switch a lot can be a pain.

I think the new iPaq (2200?) is meant to suport on-the-fly landscape switching.

Mark

gregh
05-27-2003, 02:41 PM
>> However, at the moment all of them require a soft reset,

Thunderhawk is the only one I've found to enable landscape browsing without a soft or hard reset.

Mark R Penn
05-27-2003, 02:58 PM
Sorry yes. I was refering to the utilities that toggle landscape like Nydiot and JS Landscape, but in the context of this thread you are right.

msprague
05-27-2003, 03:15 PM
There is also ftxPBrowser, which has tabbed windows etc.
http://www.af.wakwak.com/~ftoshi/pocket/index_e.html
I use ftxPBrowser for 95% of my PPC surfing. Especially useful is the "Simply View" that strips table and forms out of the page. It makes forums very readable. If I want to post to a forum I just turn Simply View off and I can post. The 5% I don't use this is the occasional case when a download link or something doesn't work and then I copy the URL into PIE to do the download. It has a few quirks, such as not being add to the Favorites, but the full-screen mode and table stripping view more than make up for them.

Scott R
05-27-2003, 04:14 PM
None of the utilities that allow you to go landscape require a hard reset. However, at the moment all of them require a soft reset, which if you switch a lot can be a pain.
Yeah, that was what I meant. Funny that you were the first person to notice.

Scott

Jason Lee
05-27-2003, 04:52 PM
I use ftxPBrowser. It has alot of nice features that Pocket IE does not have. However, it is in beta and doesn't have the features that Pocket IE does have. :lol:
But over all it works well.
I also use Pocket Plus. I find it's IE plug in a bit lacking though. I don't use full screen. I would rather have the option to download graphics or link targets as a tap and hold option and some more usable desktop IE features.
The best browser tweak I have ever found is Multi IE (http://www.zipworld.com.au/~peterept/#sw_multiie). I bought it loooong ago and it has unfortunatly only been updated once (since I bought it) when PPC 2002 came out. Very nice but I wouldn't hope for updates.

It would be nice however if Pocket Plus would include some of Multi IE's features in a future version.... *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* :D

gregh
05-27-2003, 05:08 PM
How does pocketplus do full screen IE?

regards,

greg