View Full Version : Pocket PCs Help Soldiers Communicate in Afghanistan

Crystal Eitle
05-23-2003, 09:46 PM
This is very cool. Check out <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=114997#114997">this thread</a> for a description of how U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan are using Pocket PCs to smooth the way with locals by communicating with them in their own language. The Pocket PCs contain several phrases recorded in Pashtu; the soldiers choose from among these and play the relevant message.<br /><br />This reminds me of what is, to me, one of the most enthralling aspects of science fiction, which is its ability to portray utopic (or at least more enlightened) societies. A key component of these idealized futures is the elimination of the language barrier; if individuals can understand one another, that eliminates at least one reason to fight, and opens the possibility of working things out peacefully.<br /><br />The person who wrote the post says it best:<br /><br />"Ultimately, I don't think the iPaq per se is the ultimate answer, even in that weatherproof red case for a variety of reasons. But it is proving out that some form of PDA is enough of an asset that soldiers clamor for it prior to a mission; it's really helping them out. And the added bonus is that it's reducing tensions and problems with the locals. 99.8% of this country is filled with wonderful people; we've got to treat them with the respect and dignity that they deserve while still accomplishing the mission at hand."

szamot
05-23-2003, 10:19 PM
I don't know about 50 or 100 years from now but somewhere past the 100 years mark we will all be speaking the one and the same language. English will most likely be the one spoken but who knows. Just think of how many CIA and FBI agents that would put out of work.

shindullin
05-24-2003, 12:59 AM
Phraselator sounds sort of like a primitive version of the universal translator in star trek. Very cool. They should get these to the guys in Iraq too. They probably need it even more given the tensions there.

kzemach
05-24-2003, 03:31 AM
Phraselator sounds sort of like a primitive version of the universal translator in star trek. Very cool. They should get these to the guys in Iraq too. They probably need it even more given the tensions there.

Actually (read the original thread; I've updated with coments on the Phraselator), the DoD has purchased (or is in the process) of purchasing 2,000+ Phraselators with the intent of deploying in Iraq. My misgivings about the Phraselator itself aside (again, see thread), what it does speak to is the power that handheld computers can give to remote operations, be them military, humanitarian aid, or other NGO/Non-Governmental Organization projects. From data collection to translation to documentation it's headed in a very interesting direction.

One of my favorite examples of this that is different from what we're doing in Afghanistan is Pocket Phojo, a digital photo editing and transmission program for iPaqs from www.idruna.com. Really neat stuff, and quite a few photojournalists actually used it in Iraq; it's not just marketing hype! The potential is endless.

TawnerX
05-24-2003, 10:27 AM
respect and dignity, ...
who got time to bother learning their language, give them premade recording phrase, hell that's good enough for any colonized provinced.

Steven Cedrone
05-24-2003, 03:50 PM
respect and dignity, ...
who got time to bother learning their language, give them premade recording phrase, hell that's good enough for any colonized provinced.

TawnerX/Nellwaskilled/WhateverElseYouWantToCallYourself,

I realize this was meant as a sarcastic, wise a$$ comment - so your humour, or lack thereof, was not wasted on me...

I would tend to think the soldiers that have been in Afghanistan for a long period of time, do know quite a few phrases in the native language. This tool would be great for the new soldiers just being sent to Afghanistan. Also, this could be used as a tool to help the new soldiers memorize phrases from the language...

Steve

Crystal Eitle
05-24-2003, 05:12 PM
respect and dignity, ...

Do you know how long it takes to learn a foreign language?

I believe the point was, playing phrases in a language the local people can understand is a lot more respectful than shouting in English and waving your arms.

kzemach
05-25-2003, 03:10 AM
Yes, exactly. And while this isn't the most complimentary thing to be said about the military, do seat yourself in reality: it's a bunch of 18-20 year olds in a country that they don't want to be in for a total of 6 months. They change every 6 months. And work 12-16 hour days, 7 days a week before ever having time to THINK about learning another language. And there are at least THREE different main dialects of Pashtu (even the word for women is different in some of them), and then there's the north where they go sometimes, which is Dari (different langage altogether), then there's the "border area" between the two, where there's effectively a third main language that we can't even find cleared interpreters for. That makes a total of 5 languages/dialects (that I've counted so far) with different accents, different words, and different phrase structures.

Hey, I agree with you on some level. These people didn't jump up and ask to be invaded, bombed, searched, or have their gov't switched for them. Again. Nothing is comparable to real human interaction, which is why interpreters are always the first choice. There just aren't enough of them. But then there's the reality of now, and softening the inevitable misunderstandings and social offenses is better than nothing, yah?

Stiree musay singay? Sta num tse shedee?