View Full Version : Accidently popped open an SD card.

PapaSmurfDan
05-23-2003, 04:28 PM
Whoops, I did something really stupid today. I accidently popped open my 64mb SD card. Apparently something fell out other than the little write protect slider and now the card is stuck in read only mode. Does anyone know what contacts should be bridged on a Sandisk SD card to get it working to normal?

-Dan

Dave Beauvais
05-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Sorry, I have nothing useful to contribute to your problem, but can you take a picture of the inside of the card? :D I've often wondered what these things look like inside.

--Dave

PapaSmurfDan
05-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Sorry for anyone on a small screen, but here is the image.

http://www.bloodylikely.com/~dan/images/sdcard.jpg

The chip on the left is probally some sort of memory controler, while the chip on the right is the actual flash ram chip. I think the two exposed contacts on the upper right hand corner are for enabling writing.

-Dan

Dave Beauvais
05-23-2003, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the great photo, Dan! I think the flash chip is the left one, though. (The physically larger of the two.) Not that it really matters. I'm sorry I don't have an SD card I'm willing to crack open to verify, but I believe you are probably correct in saying those two contacts are for the write protect switch.

--Dave

PapaSmurfDan
05-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Augh, I should check my posts before hitting submit. My brain is working backwords today.

If you want more detail or the back of the PCB, it will only take me a few more seconds to rescan the SD card.

-Dan

Dave Beauvais
05-23-2003, 06:23 PM
Sure, why not? ;)

Thefo
05-24-2003, 04:14 AM
Most likely a small copper or aluminum piece of spring shaped metal is what fell off the little plastic slider. I would try to lay a small piece of thin conductive metal across the two contact pads so that you are closing the circuit and then try to get it so that when you place the other side of the case on it will hold the metal in place across the two contacts. You may need to place some crazy glue on the side facing the card top inside and then carefully lay the top of the card down so that it will adhere in the correct location to close the gap. The only downside to this is that you cannot switch the card back to read only, but I don't think too many people use this option anyhow. I did up a quick diagram in MSPAINT but just noticed I can't attach files to my post...duhoh. I suppose I could email it to you if your interested.