View Full Version : Is it wise to get software now at lowered prices?

Johan
05-23-2003, 11:34 AM
I've seen some special offers with reduced prices for software like for example Pocket Informant etc. I just wonder if it's a wise move to purchase now, I'm guessing when PPC 2003 is out there will be major "pay for" updates for a lot of software. What do you think?
:?:

wocket
05-23-2003, 01:19 PM
I suppose it could be an issue with some softwares. But I would hope that there would be some sort of emulation or compatability mode built in like there is already with CE 3.0. Believe it or not you can run some software built for WinCE 2.11 on your pocketpc.

Mike Temporale
05-23-2003, 02:15 PM
From everything that I've read, the next version (PPC 2003) is not a major change. Some applications might be effected, but I wouldn't expect to see very many that fail.

I would expect this upgrade to be the same as 2000 --> 2002.

ombu
05-23-2003, 03:06 PM
There's no trouble at all, almost every PPC software developer has a time based update policy or charge for major version changes and they don't have different prices for different OS or CPU.

Sure you'll be able to use the right one for your CPU/OS even when you change.

Regards.

bdegroodt
05-23-2003, 04:08 PM
Interesting thought. I just spent $25 on a couple of programs and was worried about the same thing (Or that the features the software addressed would be in the PPC 03 release.). But wise or not, I parted way with my money because it was worth the price and then some to me. I suppose it comes down to the vendor and your desire to have the product.

PetiteFlower
05-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Why don't you just ask if you get any free upgrades if you purchase the software at that price?