View Full Version : 1910 & Handwriting recognition

Tiny Clanger
05-22-2003, 07:29 PM
First of all, I would like to explain that I am a "first time" Pocket PC/PDA purchaser and so please excuse this naive question...

I am quite taken with the HP 1910 as it's about the only Pocket PC that really is pocket size. One of the factors I like on a friends HP 3950 is the excellent handwriting recognition using Transcriber (well, seems to work well for me). Question is - is the efficiency linked to the software or the hardware - ie will it work as well on the 1910?

Any other thoughts/observations on the 1910 or alternatives would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Tiny Clanger

Jacob
05-22-2003, 07:35 PM
It should work well on the 1910. I have never used a 3950, but I do have a 1910.

Transcriber should work find on the 1910 with the same recognition capabilities.

newst
05-23-2003, 12:08 PM
I have used Transcriber (and it's commercial big brother, Calligrapher) on a number of different PDA's over the years (including the 1910) and it has worked well in all of them.

While the the power in the program is in the code the hardware can impact the performance in two ways 1. Processor speed (even at 200mhz the 1910 has plenty of speed for handwriting recognition) and 2. Touch screen sensitivity (again, not a problem on the 1910).

Interesting enough I have seen a number of people comment that their handwriting recognition performance improved when they applied a screen protector to their PDA. I can't say if this applies to the 1910 because I have never written on it without a screen protector to make a comparison.

SN