View Full Version : Problem with Textmaker

dh
05-21-2003, 05:12 PM
I've run into a problem with Textmaker and I hope that someone can help. I've contacted Softmaker's support but I'm an impatient bugger and am getting fed up with waiting for a response.

Anyway, I had always run Textmaker from the built-in storage part of my Axim. It worked OK but took forever to load - 'bout 30 seconds. I decided to delete it and re-install to the main program memory, thinking it might be faster there.

First interesting thing - I go to "remove programs" and it's not there. Look in remove programs in ActiveSync, same thing, it's not there either. Hmmm.......

Anyway, I go to file explorer and delete all the textmaker files.

Install again into main memory. Great it loads much faster now - cool.

Now the problems.
I can start Textmaker two ways, from the icon in Program Bar or from the Start menu.

If I do a soft reset first, Textmaker starts fine.

If I don't do a soft reset, one of two things happens:

Starting from Program Bar - Axim just freezes as soon as I tap the icon.
Starting from Start Menu - the little timing clock thingy appears and stays until I reset again.

All in all not very good. I'm sure the problem is related to the fact that I can't remove Textmaker the proper way.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can solve this?

Thanks!

baggins
05-21-2003, 06:46 PM
There's a nifty little freeware utility called Remover (currently v. 0.86) which you can find here (http://s-k.al.ru/wincepdaru.html#remover). It may just do the trick for you.

Afterwards, if you dare, you may want to go in and have a look at the registry, to see if any entries from TextMaker still remain! You'd be wise to do a backup of the registry before, though!

Best regards

Bags

dlangton
05-21-2003, 07:00 PM
There is no Add|Remove for Textmaker. You don't need one. Just delete the files. About the only registry entry would be the 'Open with' association for doc and psw/pwd files, which can easily be changed using something like Pocket Tweak.

As far as slow opening of Textmaker, it sounds as though you may have a conflict with other software. On my system, for instance, I need to close Calligrapher before I launch Textmaker. Once Textmaker is running, I can run Calligrapher without problem.

I'm running Textmaker from a CF card.

Steven Cedrone
05-21-2003, 07:00 PM
I've never used TetMaker, so I'm not sure about this: Perhaps you need to run the desktop installer program to remove the app as well...

Steve

dh
05-21-2003, 07:06 PM
There is no Add|Remove for Textmaker. You don't need one. Just delete the files. About the only registry entry would be the 'Open with' association for doc and psw/pwd files, which can easily be changed using something like Pocket Tweak.

As far as slow opening of Textmaker, it sounds as though you may have a conflict with other software. On my system, for instance, I need to close Calligrapher before I launch Textmaker. Once Textmaker is running, I can run Calligrapher without problem.

I'm running Textmaker from a CF card.

I think you might have cracked it.

I am running Calligrapher and resetting the Axim sends the input method back to the keyboard. This is probably why the reset gets it going OK.

Thanks for the help guys.

darrylb
05-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Starting from Program Bar - Axim just freezes as soon as I tap the icon.

I have a similar problem launching pocket diet tracker from the program bar. I am trying to figure out what breaks it but to no avail. PHM says the app is running, but the window for it has not been drawn.

My only problem with TextMaker is the occaisional sudden close and lose all unsaved work :evil: