View Full Version : Newbie question about Pocket Informant

TorchRedStang
05-21-2003, 04:29 AM
This is probably a really stupid question, but I recently installed Pocket Informant on my Axim and I am trying to figure out how to view contacts by category. I like the way each time you press a button it goes to a different category like with outlook.. with pocket informant all I can get it to do is show all or only one category.. I don't want to go in and go through a bunch of menus to view each category individually.. does this make sense? Anyone know how to fix it? I don't want to have to look at all of my work contacts unless I am at work.. and I don't want to go through all of my friends to find the number to Dominos

Sorry for the newbie question and thanks for your help!

ironguy
05-21-2003, 07:39 AM
Are you asking how to display multiple categories in your contacts list?

There is a way to do this. Open your contacts list. On the bottom of the screen is the little icon that looks like an upside down speaker (it's actually a filter icon). Tap the arrow next to it. This will bring up a menu. At the top is the word 'Multiple'. Tap that. You'll be presented with a list of your categories with check boxes. Check the ones you want, hit OK and there you are.

Now - and here's the great part, Tap the Star icon. You can save this view. Then, instead of reselcting multiple categories the next time, you tap your Star (Views) and select the view you want. Cool!

This way you can keep multiple views of multiple categories. For instance, you could make categories for Pizza, Burgers, Salads, and Sandwiches. Then, select all these individual categories via the 'multiple' selection and save the view as "Restaurants". Now you can select individual categories (Pizza, etc), or select the Restaurant view for all of them.

Nifty, eh? :)

PS I also put the menus in the notes section of the contacts for restaurants.

TorchRedStang
05-21-2003, 07:51 AM
Cool! Thanks a lot! I really like this program.. one thing that bugged me about using outlook is that you didn't have much control over how to use everything.

The only thing that would make it easier than using the star, is if you could set it up to automatically scroll through the catagories by pressing the contact button.. but, I just need to get used to pressing the little star and it will be even better!

Thanks for the help!

Pony99CA
05-21-2003, 08:39 AM
The only thing that would make it easier than using the star, is if you could set it up to automatically scroll through the catagories by pressing the contact button.. but, I just need to get used to pressing the little star and it will be even better!
You can't use the Contacts button to cycle through categories in the Contacts View of Pocket Informant. That seems to be one of those "hidden" Contacts features that PI didn't implement, as this thread in the Pocket Informant forums (http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=1050&start=13) will show you.

Steve