View Full Version : 5450 record button

Andrew
05-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Hi, perhaps this question has been asked and answered before, but I didnt find it when I searched. The other day I noticed that my 5450 has a '+' and a '-' on the record button. I tried pressing each separately but nothing happened, in order to record I had to press the middle of the button.
What I want to know is, is there any way to define what the + and - do? Or are they used in any program? It would be nice to use them to scroll in reader for example.
Unfortunately going through the ipaq settings, I havent noticed anywhere that allows you to assign anything, so is the plus and minus simply there for 'decoration' along with the sim-card slot and will be 'activated' in future models and/or rom(s)?

Andrew

aroma
05-19-2003, 12:36 PM
The + and - buttons control the volume. (+ Increases the volume, - Decreases it.)

jsanfordii
05-19-2003, 12:58 PM
I think he wanted to know if those buttons could be remapped.

I couldn't find a place to remap them out of the box, but there might be a utility out there that works for remapping those volume control buttons...

James

aroma
05-19-2003, 03:10 PM
In his post he was asking if the buttons did anything at all, or if they were there "just for decoration", or a feature to be implimented in a later model. That's why I was expaling what their function is. But to answer the other part of the question, I too do not know of anyway of mapping those buttons for custom functions.

Janak Parekh
05-19-2003, 03:56 PM
GoLandscape (http://pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=7139) lets you remap those buttons to up/down on the 5450/5455.

--janak

Chris Spera
05-19-2003, 04:06 PM
GoLandscape (http://pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=7139) lets you remap those buttons to up/down on the 5450/5455.

--janak

Yeah; but isn't that ONLY in Landscape mode..?

Christopher Spera

Janak Parekh
05-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Not from what I've heard -- the perception I've gotten is that the program is now slightly misnamed. Of course, I don't have a 5450, so I can only report what I've heard.

--janak

Chris Spera
05-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Not from what I've heard -- the perception I've gotten is that the program is now slightly misnamed. Of course, I don't have a 5450, so I can only report what I've heard.

--janak

Oh.... ok.

Andrew
05-19-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I actually didnt know that the buttons altered volume as default, Im one of the few people on the planet that dont listen to mp3s on my ipaq I think :) I have my 128mb sd card full of data and programs so no room for mp3s :(

Thanks for pointing out golandscape Janak, Im thinking of downloading the demo and giving it a shot, if I can find some kind of app that would allow me to turn the volume/record into a semi-jog dial for use with reading ebooks etc, that would be great :D

Andrew
05-19-2003, 09:10 PM
I just installed the golandscape demo and I have to say that having the volume control set as up/down really is nice. Esp with ebooks, I got to play with a dell axim a couple of days ago, and the dial on the side is one of the features I could get used too, so its nice that some of its functionality can be emulated.
I havent tried the landscape mode yet though as I have security enabled and Im a little nervous to tell you the truth. Mind you it will be a good excuse if I fluff things up to see if my backups will work ;)

Andrew

ChristopherTD
05-20-2003, 09:18 AM
I use GoLandscape solely for the remapping of the Volume +/- buttons so that I can read eBooks with the lid closed.

The only snag that I have found (and I am not 100% certain about this) is that I think it still alters the volume settings as well as performing the Up/Down action. It may just be that I have turned the volume down myself though!

It was worth the $2 to get the buttons remapped - I have never tried the Landscape mode.

Regards
Christopher

FredMurphy
05-20-2003, 09:48 AM
ChristopherTD - I was just thinking the same thing. I remap my record button to fire up Media Player and find it's very difficult to press it without accidentally adjusting the volume one way or the other.

:soapbox: A bad hardware design IMHO. Bring back the Jornada 568 form factor!

piperpilot
05-21-2003, 03:31 PM
I remap my record button to fire up Media Player and find it's very difficult to press it without accidentally adjusting the volume one way or the other.

I do the same thing all the time when placing the device in my pocket while listening to MP3s. In a post-headset volume control patch world, it's downright painful sometimes, because the button is very sensitive to pressure and can increase the volume several fold in a second or two. Ouch!

Andrew
05-22-2003, 08:59 AM
I didnt get time to really play with it yet, but I plan too during the weekend, so I'll let you know if I get the same issues cropping up as you guys mentioned, but I would have thought that the active app, would be the one 'in control'; so that if youre listening to mp3s while reading, the ebook reader should be the one with priority?
Anyways I'll have a play and I'll let you know if the same thing happens to me.

Andrew

darrylb
05-22-2003, 12:57 PM
I havent noticed anywhere that allows you to assign anything, so is the plus and minus simply there for 'decoration' along with the sim-card slot and will be 'activated' in future models and/or rom(s)?

Excuse my ignorance - the 5450 has a SIM card slot? I am trying to figure if the new version in the 5000 series (due in a month or two) will be a good upgrade to my 3970. Does anyone know when it will work or will it work on the new models?

Having BT, WiFi & GPRS in the one system without expansion would be ideal for me!!!

Sorry to put this off topic :worried:

darrylb
05-22-2003, 01:07 PM
Excuse my ignorance - the 5450 has a SIM card slot? I am trying to figure if the new version in the 5000 series (due in a month or two) will be a good upgrade to my 3970. Does anyone know when it will work or will it work on the new models?

Having BT, WiFi & GPRS in the one system without expansion would be ideal for me!!!

Sorry to put this off topic :worried:

Never mind - I found this post (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12291) - this explains everything :mrgreen: