View Full Version : IPAQ 3955 becomes an "Unknown Device"

drmarcr
05-17-2003, 09:47 PM
For no discernable reason, my IPAQ 3955 has sudsdenly become an "unknown device" when I connect via USB. This has occurrred out of the blue on both my laptop and desktop (both runnings windows XP pro).

I have tried using 2 different cradles and a "sync cable." I have performed a soft reset, hard reset (with & without restoring backup) a ROM update. I have tried ActiveSync 3.5, 3.6 & 3.7.

I have tried removing all USB connections via device manager (in "safe" mode) and reinstalled ActiveSync. Still get "Unknown device."

Contacting Compaq IPAQ tech support via email, I was notified that according to my serial #, my IPAQ was out of warranty for "software."

Maybe it's just me, but given all of the above, it seems to me to be a hardware problem. BTW, I can sync it using the serial cable, albeit very, very slowly. Also, my laptop (unfortunately a Compaq Presario) doesn't even have a serial port connection.

Does anyone out there have any ideas as to what I can do? I am tempted to put the IPAQ under my auto's tire and crushing the SOB. Short of that, I surrender to Compaq (and HP).

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. I am at my half-wit's end.

Unreal32
05-18-2003, 03:35 AM
Try uninstalling Activesync completely, and then using a registry editor to delete the droppings left behind in the H_Key Local Machine and/or HKey_Software listings. Make sure the WCES services are also not continuing to run on your PPC. By the way, re: editing the registry, I make no warranties or promises... it's not my fault if somethin goes wrong ;-)

drmarcr
05-18-2003, 04:44 AM
Good idea and even though I tried it once, I tried it again. I stripped that registry clean. I had a party deleting "STUFF."

I reinstalled Activesync 3.7...no luck. Repeated the procedure and this time I reinstalled 3.5 and LO AND BEHOLD IT STILL WON'T WORK.

I just can't figure it out. Since it has happened with two computers, I'm guessing something is wrong with the attachment end.