View Full Version : The processor

Mobile Mike
05-16-2003, 08:57 PM
I haven't kept up with the status of the new X-scale processors. I remember last year when they first started coming out, some of them were slower than the older type of processors when it came to things like video.

Has this been corrected with the newer X-scale processors, specifically with the one that is installed in the I-700?

Thanks.

Charles Pickrell
05-18-2003, 07:20 AM
No, the X-Scale processors still aren't better than the old StrongArm processors at heavy-duty computing. The Samsung normally runs at 250 MHz to conserve battery life, but has a setting to move it up to 300 MHz. This means it will not be the best for delivering high-quality videos.

There is a newer version of the X-Scale chip (the PXA255) but the i700 is not using it. I'm not sure the PXA255 is showing itself to be faster than the current XScale anyway.

Rivan
06-25-2003, 12:55 PM
The limitations of the XScale processors being manifested are through the OS not the hardware.

FYI PPC 2002 was standardised on Strongarm architecture but only taps 50% potential of the XScale instructions set.

In addition the memory has slower speed than Strongarm counterpart hence that is the real limitation of the XScale.

:wink:

Enderet
07-02-2003, 08:02 PM
The new WinMobile devices with the 255s are really fast. Heh, this thread is pretty old.