View Full Version : Pocket PC 2003

Shaun Stuart
05-16-2003, 08:17 PM
I was at my local PC World today (in the Uk) and was talking to the sales rep on the camera/PDA counter. He told me that he had seen the new Ipaq 2200 series and that it will ship with Pocket PC 2003. He did not have much hands on time with it but said that PPC 2003 was a big improvement on 2002.

According to him the upgrade will include a much improved media player with support for mpeg and avi files. Switching to Landscape will be possible but only for Notes, Word, Excel and Internet Explorer (he was not sure about MS Reader). Animated today screens were available as complete backgrounds (today data its on top of the animation rather than below or above in a section of the screen) Internet Explorer provided multiple screens and there were some minor updates to the calendar and contacts views.

Now I dont usually listen to Reps from PC World - I have had some real bad experiences dealing with them (I would never buy a PC from one) - but this guy seemed to be a bit of a Pocket Pc fan and appeared to know what he was talking about.

He told me that the new ipaqs would be available from the second week in June.

James Fee
05-16-2003, 08:34 PM
I was at my local PC World today (in the Uk) and was talking to the sales rep on the camera/PDA counter.
That should tell you all you need to know right there... :silly:

Reinaldo
05-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Well, Pocket Word as a landscape is better than no landscape at all. I like the Windows Media Player being able to play MPEG files because I don't like to format my videos using Windows Movie Maker everytime I want to have them on my iPAQ. Did he say anything about the iPAQ 2200 itself?

Shaun Stuart
05-16-2003, 08:52 PM
Did he say anything about the iPAQ 2200 itself?

The only thing he said was that it looked much better than the toshiba e750 (something I have been thinking of buying) and that it was light but well built

Shaun Stuart
05-16-2003, 09:01 PM
I was at my local PC World today (in the Uk) and was talking to the sales rep on the camera/PDA counter.
That should tell you all you need to know right there... :silly:

Yeah - your probably right. The last time I dealt with PC world was 12 months ago. I phoned them to ask if they had the ipaq 3870 in stock -they assured me they did - I asked them to double check because I would have to travel 20 miles to get to them - they left me on the phone for 15 minuites while they "double checked" and then confirmed they did have them - when I got to the store they presented me with a 3630. They never had any 3870s in stock the sales rep (who looked about 12 years old) grunted an apology - I could have slapped him.

robert_biggs
05-16-2003, 10:25 PM
The real question is: have they optimized PPC 2003 for Xscale? That would truly make it worth the upgrade. The landscape in limited applications, multiple IE windows, animated themes, and improved WMP are all great "goodies." But I want some real "meat" before I shell over cash for a new OS. Faster processing speed is what I want!!!

P.S. Isn't it pathetic that my PXA 255 400MHz is only comparable to an outdated StrongARM 200MHz? :evil:

spursdude
05-17-2003, 12:07 AM
Shouldn't the PC World guy be under a NDA considering how much he knows? That makes me suspicious...