View Full Version : Sybase Announces Pocket PowerBuilder Beta Program

Andy Sjostrom
05-16-2003, 06:27 PM
<a href="http://www.sybase.com/pocketpb">http://www.sybase.com/pocketpb</a><br /><br />Just got some interesting developer news from Sybase!<br /><br />"Sybase is pleased to announce the beta program for Pocket PowerBuilder, a new rapid application development tool that speeds the creation of mobile, handheld, and wireless enterprise WinCE-based applications. Existing PowerBuilder developers can easily leverage their expertise to create new or extend existing applications using Pocket PowerBuilder’s similar IDE to the PowerBuilder application they already use. We have now entered the second phase of the beta program which is open to all applicants. You will be asked to provide some information about yourself and to accept a beta license agreement before downloading the software."

Bajan Cherry
05-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Too late, is all that I can say. We have too many RADs already in the market.

jngold_me
05-18-2003, 05:43 AM
Too late, is all that I can say. We have too many RADs already in the market.

Maybe not. There are alot of PB developers out there (myself being one) who have since moved on to ASP or Java development. It wouldn't take much to harness the power of a datawindow for use in a Pocket PC. Datwindows make most database access tool look sick.

"If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - DV

Fishman
05-19-2003, 12:11 AM
I think the time is just right for Pocket PowerBuilder. Pocket PCs are exploding in popularity and a lot of organizations are just now starting to realize how beneficial they can be. Pocket PowerBuilder combined with iAnywhere's ASA database for CE is a pretty powerful product.

Microsoft's Compact Framework is pretty cool and Visual Studio .Net 2003 has some great features for creating handheld applications. The data access with ADO.Net and the data grid can't hold a candle to the DataWindow though (IMHO).

As was mentioned by another poster, there are a lot of PowerBuilder developers (former and existing) out there who will instantly be productive creating Pocket PC applications. Pocket PowerBuilder uses the same syntax (PowerScript) as PowerBuilder and the IDE is pretty much the same as PowerBuilder 9.0.

Finally the royalty free Pocket PowerBuilder runtime is really attractive.

Fishman