View Full Version : Yet Another Weird ActiveSync Problem

piperpilot
05-16-2003, 01:38 PM
My hate for ActiveSync knows no bounds!!!! Got to the office this morning. Cradled my 5455. ActiveSync has been "connecting" for about 15 minutes. I performed a soft reset. No change; just endless "connecting." I then tried a hard reset, restored my device via Pocket Backup and cradled the device. Same result. Continued endless "connecting." Shutdown my PC then restarted it. No change. I have just about run out of ideas. It worked fine yesterday. Any suggestions? Have I said how much I HATE ActiveSync? :evil:

piperpilot
05-16-2003, 02:20 PM
In case you were going to offer me the advice of reinstalling ActiveSync, forget it. That didn't work either. Still endless "connecting." I think my brain is going to explode! :microwave:

lurch
05-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Bad connection somewhere? Are all the plugs in right? (the USB to the computer, the iPaq to the cradle)

Otherwise, here's a solution that doesn't always work but is guaranteed to make you feel better (for 30 seconds)

1) take brick
1.1) if you have no brick, make one in your standard office-kiln
2) throw brick through monitor
3) feel better
3.1) after 30 seconds, realize what you've done and begin mourning (for a lot of stuff, i.e. the monitor, your job, etc...)

piperpilot
05-16-2003, 02:57 PM
I tried the "Get Connected" thing and checked the hardware connections. I even borrowed somebody else's cradle to see if maybe the cables were faulty. Same result--continuously "connecting." I'm beginning to think that the pins of the cradle and some other devices that I have been having trouble connecting to the iPAQ (micro keyboard and stowaway keyboard) are not connecting properly to the device. It looks like yet another call to HP tech support. Groan!

P.S., I kinda like the brick idea, but we're having a cash crunch here at work, so I definitely would be looking for a new job if I implemented that solution.

doogald
05-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Did you try a different USB port? I was having an issue with my PC but moving the cradle to a different port made ActiveSync more stable.

Also, if you are connecting via a USB hub, you might want to try connecting directly to see if that works better.

Also, it would be interesting to try doing the hard reset and connecting PRIOR to restoring the pocket backup file. Maybe there is something on the device itself that is hanging up the connection?

lurch
05-16-2003, 03:29 PM
I'm beginning to think that the pins of the cradle and some other devices that I have been having trouble connecting to the iPAQ (micro keyboard and stowaway keyboard) are not connecting properly to the device.
I think we have something here.... if other things have been having troubles, your problem might be in the connection on the iPaq itself. Do you use any devices that require you to put a strain on the connection point? Example: when I got my Vaja case for my Jornada, I heard that you could sync it in the case... but to do so would require me to put severe and constant pressure on the connection point between the cradle and the handheld. Maybe something like that's happened and it severed a connection or something within the iPaq itself?

piperpilot
05-16-2003, 03:45 PM
I think we have something here.... if other things have been having troubles, your problem might be in the connection on the iPaq itself. Do you use any devices that require you to put a strain on the connection point? Example: when I got my Vaja case for my Jornada, I heard that you could sync it in the case... but to do so would require me to put severe and constant pressure on the connection point between the cradle and the handheld. Maybe something like that's happened and it severed a connection or something within the iPaq itself?

I had trouble with my AC cable back in February. I was on a business trip and the AC adapter got stuck in the iPAQ. When I finally got it out, I noticed that the metal frame around the point where the adapter connects to the iPAQ was bent. I went out to CompUSA and bought a new adapter, which worked fine until about a week ago when it suddenly stopped working. So, I ordered another one from HP. It, so far, is working fine, but as I mentioned before, other things are not working. I have a Targus stowaway keyboard that used to work fine, but now doesn't work at all--although the drivers are properly installed and are up to date, it doesn't register as an input option and it doesn't work. I also ordered a micro keyboard from HP. The micro keyboard works only if I apply significant pressure to the connection point and jam it forward. It's so awkward that, as a practical matter, it is unusable. I called HP tech support about the problem, and they said a physical connection problem could not possibly be what I am experiencing since the iPAQ was still synching with the computer when I placed it in the cradle. Well, now I can't synch with the cradle, which says to me that there really may be something wrong with the connection pins. There's simply too much evidence pointing to that as the problem to ignore it.

Kevin Remhof
05-16-2003, 03:57 PM
It sounds to me like a problem your your iPaq itself. They can do "weird" things if the sync port gets out of whack.

Check out this thread for a similar problem that I, and others, have had:

http://pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12203&highlight=

piperpilot
05-19-2003, 12:57 PM
UPDATE - After a very frustrating day on Friday trying to troubleshoot this problem, I called HP Tech Support. Everything that they told me to do to try and fix the problem, I had already done . . . multiple times . . . so, they had a mailer box sent out to me--I call it a "casket"--so that I can send my baby in to be repaired. Should have it back by the end of the week. I am convinced that the sync port is the problem, as now the new AC adapter that I just bought will only work if the device is placed upside down so that the weight of the adapter is thrust downward to make a connection. Will provide a further update once I get the device back from HP.

A week without my iPAQ? HORRORS!!!!

jsanfordii
05-19-2003, 01:00 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to take a vacation! I highly recommend :

http://www.littlepalmisland.com

james

piperpilot
05-19-2003, 01:15 PM
[quote="jsanfordii"]Sounds like a good excuse to take a vacation! I highly recommend : http://www.littlepalmisland.com

Is that pun intended? :wink: