View Full Version : T-Mobile Clarifies Microsoft OS Handset Delay Rumors

Jason Dunn
05-15-2003, 11:31 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=13511' target='_blank'>http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=13511</a><br /><br /></div>"T-Mobile International AG and Microsoft Corp. sought to clarify media reports concerning possible delays of the release of a T-Mobile phone using Microsoft software in Europe, but T-Mobile wouldn’t give a specific release date. Media reports surfaced last week that T-Mobile had delayed the release of a phone using Microsoft’s Smartphone operating system, scheduled for sale in June. However, a T-Mobile spokesman said the carrier had never set a definite date, only that it would begin selling the phone sometime this summer. Spokesman Philipp Schindera said there are software problems with the phone, and that T-Mobile, manufacturer HTC and Microsoft are working to fix those problems. He said the phone has not been delayed, because there are still several months of summer left. <br /><br />Such tactics are common in the wireless industry, with many wireless players shying away from specific release dates. However, T-Mobile’s Schindera wouldn’t say when the phone would be released, only that it would be released when all the software glitches are fixed. Schindera also said T-Mobile’s partnership with Microsoft is still sound and the software problems are commonplace for high-end devices, such as those using Microsoft Smartphone software."<br /><br />We must have received 10+ links to several articles decrying the death of the Smartphone today, and I resisted posting on all of them for several reasons - I'm happy to post this news that debunks them all, however. Just remember not to trust everything you read on the Internet! :wink: Besides, this isn't Smartphone Thoughts or anything. :lol:

James Fee
05-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Excellent Job as usual. Restraint like this is why I always enjoy your site. (Heck I got the RSS feed in my Trillian :D)

bdegroodt
05-16-2003, 02:56 AM
Debunks? Is that like the iLoo debunking? Jason? Shake yourself! This is PR spin in response to a widely reported story quoting senior TM execs stating that the phone has issues.

Not that it's the death of the SmartPhone for MSFT and TM, but let's be honest, the thing is a a piece of garbage so far and TM isn't willing to go out with it. Just like our other friends at Sendo. There's clearly a lack of understanding by MSFT in this market. They'll get it sooner or later, but right now it's DOA.

Robert Levy
05-16-2003, 03:36 AM
This is PR spin in response to a widely reported story quoting senior TM execs stating that the phone has issues.

No... this is a response to the widely spread false interpretation of what the T-Mobile spokesperson said. The word going around was that T-Mobile dropped the Smartphone platform and now we have a joint statement saying otherwise.

Jason Dunn
05-16-2003, 04:30 AM
This is PR spin in response to a widely reported story quoting senior TM execs stating that the phone has issues.

Yes, it's PR spin, but it's stating what is still a fact rather than a rumour: that T-Mobile is planning on adopting the Smartphone platform. The difference is the timing, not in the desire to adopt the platform. Carriers are S-L-O-W to roll out new phones...

You are officially NOT invited to any Smartphone site I start. :wink:

bdegroodt
05-16-2003, 04:37 AM

Yes, it's PR spin, but it's stating what is still a fact rather than a rumour: that T-Mobile is planning on adopting the Smartphone platform. The difference is the timing, not in the desire to adopt the platform. Carriers are S-L-O-W to roll out new phones...

You are officially NOT invited to any Smartphone site I start. :wink:

Right. I'm not debating that. But what is clearly stated and quoted is that TM has no intention of supporting the phone any time in the near future until the phone gets squared away. It's not that it's dead, but it has major issues (Far beyond those that your normal phone from a mobile carrier might have today.).

I'm not saying it's the death of the SmartPhone, but let's call a spade a spade. The SmartPhone issues and market penetration are widely documented and it's not a good picture for our friends in Redmond at this point. Much work is yet to be done.

Why would I not be invited?

Robert Levy
05-16-2003, 05:18 AM
Much work is yet to be done.

Ohhh! What you're really saying is that the Smartphone platform has lots of room for improvement just like any other platform that has been on the market for 7 months. Ok, sure.

In that case, don't worry - I'll invite you to any Smartphone site that I write for. :wink:

kevinsb1
05-16-2003, 05:18 AM
What we may be seeing here is tm dumping htc, not the smartphone platform.

I am using the tanager/spvx in the states, and love it! (w/ AT&T)

Am I just lucky? Are there many issues with tanager/spvx? - Or is the smartphone bashing based on the original canary/spv device?

The main problem t-mobile is experiencing right now, is due to a taiwanese manufacture that doesn’t understand how the US carriers operate. It has less to do with the OS then you think, even though smartphone code modification is causing some problems, it’s more a hardware issue.

We are experiencing some growing pains as the pc industry and telecom collide. If these issues persist micorosft may be forced to buy an operator or handset manufacturer.

Kevin