View Full Version : Dangers pof Using Up Available Memory

azhiker
05-15-2003, 11:20 PM
I would like to know what some of you have experienced when your PPC RAM memory is exhausted; either because you have too many programs loaded, or have too much stuffed onto your PPC.

Your PPC can freeze and some files are lost, but I have found a total hard reset took place on two occasions. Some graphcs do not load at other times. With a PPC with only 32 Meg on-board, I try to load as much onto my SD card as possible. I also note that some programs seem to slow down when I use up the resources.

Pocket Informant does some strange things when my memory is low. performance drops considerably until I clear up space.

I put all word.docs, notes, mp3 and library files on my SD card but I still run out of memory!!!

What is an acceptable memory buffer amount to keep things from crashing? 5 meg, 10 meg or more? :?:

Of course I like to try a lot of programs before purchasing and sometimes forget to remove unwanted programs from the system files.

I have relied more and more on Battery Pack support (expecially V.5) by closing programs from any screen, and using Power Clearn to remove Temp and Internet files.

So any other hints and disaster stories you can share that will spare me and others more grief? :cry:

davidspalding
05-17-2003, 08:09 AM
Things slow down on my E-125, then finally stop. I tried this once or twice. Pretty funny, really.

http://www.chromejob.com/images/pda/all%20memory%20used%20up%20-%20pda%20sad.gif
Note that no programs are still running in this screen shot. Yep, the OS has a memory leak. Sad.

I have found that the OS is pretty adept at closing programs which do not have unsaved work in them. <= Clue! Don't keep all your programs running. Shut down those that aren't needed. Based on my experiences, I would say that at least 1 MB of free program memory is a safe bet. 2-3 MB of free storage memory is a must, in case I drop a big file or two in My Documents for bringing home.