View Full Version : Compact Flash problem

FieldDoc
05-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Hi,
I have a 256Mb CF card and a USB CF reader that I use to transfer large files with (e.g. movies). I don't know why but I am now unable to copy to my CF card!
I have tried 10 times to copy 3 different .avi files to the card, but it copies for a couple of minutes and then the red light on the reader (that flashes when copying is in progress) turns off! It does nothing for about 10 mins and the an error bubble pops up by the clock on the taskbar and says that there has been a "delayed write error". I click cancel and then an error box appears saying something like the "path name is too deep".
WTF?!
This has not happened before and I don't know what to do. HELP!

Jason Dunn
05-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Try re-formatting the card and trying again. If that doesn't work, try a different reader or someone with a laptop. You need to isolate whether it's a bad memory card or a bad reader (both happen, unfortunately).

FieldDoc
05-15-2003, 04:58 PM
Have discovered that it works fine if I don't use the reader with my USB hub and if I use it directly with the USB port. However, I can't figure why this is as I used to be able to use fine with the hub. It is also very inconvenient to not be using the hub.
Any ideas?

Steven Cedrone
05-15-2003, 05:05 PM
Have discovered that it works fine if I don't use the reader with my USB hub and if I use it directly with the USB port. However, I can't figure why this is as I used to be able to use fine with the hub. It is also very inconvenient to not be using the hub.
Any ideas?

Have you added any other USB devices to the hub recently? Does the hub run on it's own power (it has to be plugged into an outlet), or does it just plug in to the USB port?

Steve

FieldDoc
05-15-2003, 05:24 PM
Runs off its own power supply. Share the hub with printer and ADSL modem (as it always has). Only thing that has changed is that I recently reinstalled windows with the USB drive attached (I think) during the install. It recognises the card reader fine and it works with small files, just not large ones (ie .avi). Thought it was a card problem because of that but it obviously isnt if I have successfully copied Star Wars (233Mb) to it whilst not attached to hub.
Hmmmm
:?

Steven Cedrone
05-15-2003, 08:29 PM
If it came with it's own drivers, try to use them instead of the XP supplied drivers (grasping at straws here :wink: )...

Steve