View Full Version : Mobile Device Icon On Desktop

Pony99CA
05-15-2003, 08:52 AM
There was a discussion in another thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12364) where someone mentioned that he had a Mobile Device icon on his desktop. I didn't have one on my old laptop running Windows 98 with ActiveSync 3.5, and I don't have one on my new laptop running Windows XP Home with ActiveSync 3.6 (now upgraded to 3.7).

So, do you have one? If so, what operating system are you using, and where did you get ActiveSync (a Pocket PC CD, Microsoft's Web site, etc.)?

Steve

davidspalding
05-15-2003, 09:48 AM
Sure do. Windows 2K Professional/Server with ActiveSync 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 installed/upgraded from Microsoft site. Installed as a member of local administrator's group, if that matters. IE 5.5 on those systems at time of installation. No, come to think of it I might still have been using 5.01 at home.

Tip: run TweakUI for your operating system, and see if it is an option on the Desktop tab (which allows you to show/hide various desktop icons like Outlook, IE, et al).

http://www.chromejob.com/images/pda/mobile_device_desktop.gif

TopDog
05-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Nope, never had it on my desktop and don't find a setting that lets me have it (not in TweakUI either) (don't counting making an old fashioned shortcut)... I've had:

Home:
--------
WinME with AS 3.1
WinXP Pro / Win .NET server RS1 with AS 3.7 (dual boot)

Work:
-------
WinME with AS 3.1
Win2000 Pro with AS 3.5
WinXP Pro with AS 3.6

Jacob
05-15-2003, 07:01 PM
I don't have a "Mobile Device" icon, but I do have a link to the My Documents folder for my device.

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 07:08 PM
I don't have a "Mobile Device" icon, but I do have a link to the My Documents folder for my device.

Ditto. But I actually deleted that link - don't use it often enough. Only frequently-used stuff gets to stay on my desktop.

Pony99CA
05-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Ditto. But I actually deleted that link - don't use it often enough. Only frequently-used stuff gets to stay on my desktop.
I only have one column of icons on my desktop -- basically what Windows installed, Outlook and what ActiveSync installed (the ActiveSync icon and the synchronized files folder).

I just keep a separate folder on my desktop called Desk (it was called Desktop before I got XP, but XP didn't like "Desktop") which contains folders like Business, Communications, Editors, Games, Graphics, Multimedia, Utilities, etc. Each of those folders has program icons and program folders in it that I removed from the Start menu. I then copy the folders in my Desk folder to the Start menu.

It reminds me more of OS/2, I guess, plus it keeps my desktop and Start menu uncluttered.

Steve

Jimmy Dodd
06-03-2003, 06:47 PM
On my Win 98 machine I do, but not on my XP machine. The 98 machine has had ActiveSync installed since the Palm-Size PC days so maybe its a left-over. My XP machine has a Mobile Devices system folder in the My Computer folder (?) under Other instead of on the Descktop.