View Full Version : Stylish Styli to Improve Your Image

Jason Dunn
05-15-2003, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pdajunkie.net/index.html?stylusplus.htm&2' target='_blank'>http://www.pdajunkie.net/index.html...tylusplus.htm&2</a><br /><br /></div>"I bought my first multi-stylus around the time I bought my first PDA, for something like $25 (for the stylus, not the PDA!) - and even before then, as a kid I had one of those jumbo pens with several colors where you slid the lever and a different colored pen would write. That was before the days of touch screens and styli."<br /><br />Gary B. Garland has written up a nice summary of three different styli from StylusPlus.com, and if you're interested in getting one, there's a 10% discount through the PDAJunkie link at the bottom. I'm not much of a styli guy - I tend to use what fits in the Pocket PC, and that's it. The idea of carrying a stylus around seperately isn't something I relish. What about you?

Jacob
05-15-2003, 05:03 AM
I prefer the feel of the pen over the stylus - but I only carry that around if I'm wearing a jacket.

I find myself just using the standard stylus by default - and I got used to it.

Jeff Rutledge
05-15-2003, 05:07 AM
Well I voted Yes, but I am really a "both". I like third party styli and have replace most of my pens with 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 pens. I usually use my Rotring pen which is a Pen/Pencil/Stylus combo. I really like the convenience of click-clicking from a pen to stylus when I need to enter something into my iPAQ.

Having said that, if I'm just carrying my iPAQ, I don't bother carrying anything extra. In those cases, the built-in one is fine. Well, actually, I replaced it with a silver stylus with pen combo that fits in the stylus hole.

A note of caution too: If you're using a 3-in-1, make sure you've got the stylus tip out and not a pen or pencil tip. I haven't made that mistake, but I've come close a couple times. 8O

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 05:09 AM
I'm "all three". When I have my planner/PDA case, I use a 3-in-1 stylus (pen/stylus/laser pointer). When I need to do anything with text entry w/o the planner, I use the Dell stylus. For simple tasks like selecting or pressing big enough buttons, I use my finger (though I have a screen protector).

lurch
05-15-2003, 05:12 AM
I'm "all three". When I have my planner/PDA case, I use a 3-in-1 stylus (pen/stylus/laser pointer). When I need to do anything with text entry w/o the planner, I use the Dell stylus. For simple tasks like selecting or pressing big enough buttons, I use my finger (though I have a screen protector).
This is what I aspire to be (oh, one day perhaps) but for right now I just use the built-in one for everything, even the finger-pushing.

bcaray
05-15-2003, 05:13 AM
I use a third party stylus from pdapanache. This is a heavy, metal stylus / ballpoint that fits in the stylus silo on my 568. I really like the weight and feel. It just feels so much better than the plastic toothpick.

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 05:19 AM
This is what I aspire to be (oh, one day perhaps) but for right now I just use
the built-in one for everything, even the finger-pushing.

Lack of screen protector, or REALLY BIG fingers?

Brad Adrian
05-15-2003, 05:55 AM
I got in the habit of using my Cross stylus pen back when it was discovered that dust could enter the iPAQ 3600's screen through the stylus hole. I've been using a separate stylus ever since, and probably have more than a dozen lying around the house and my briefcase.

Foo Fighter
05-15-2003, 06:33 AM
As a rule I never purchase add-on accessories for my PDAs. Not even screen protectors. What comes in the box is good enough for me, and I don't like investing in a bunch of accessories because it simply ties me down to one device...and I usually go through PDAs like packs of chewing gum. After about 4-6 months I get rid of them and move on to the latest and greatest. Right now I am considering ditching my Axim and going with one of the upcoming models from HP.

I didn't much care for the Axim's stylus at first, but it has grown on me. The stylus that came with my Zire 71, on the other hand, is a piece of crap! Cheap toy-like plastic! That I can do without :evil:

rhmorrison
05-15-2003, 07:40 AM
I'm not much of a styli guy - I tend to use what fits in the Pocket PC, and that's it. The idea of carrying a stylus around seperately isn't something I relish. What about you?
Jason, you forgot an option in your POLL for:
I use a special stylus that FITS in the PDA stylus holder.

I have a PDA Panche stylus for my hp Jornada 568 (also one for my wife) that has a good weight, is silver and contains a 'real' pen under a screw off cap. Much better than the cheap gray plastic one that comes with the unit but it DOES FIT in the devices stylus holder! 8)

Pony99CA
05-15-2003, 08:22 AM
I'm tri-input, too. When sitting at my desk, I have a 2-in-1 pen/stylus there, which I prefer for it's feel over the small iPAQ 3870 stylus. (And, I did accidentally use the pen once. Fortunately, I use screen protectors, so I just switched to a fresh one. :oops:) Other times, I have a light-up stylus/pen with me, mainly for the cool factor, but I'll use the stylus when I'm going to be using my iPAQ for a while.

For quick tasks, I'll use the iPAQ's stylus, because it's more convenient than fishing the light-up stylus out of my pocket. When I'm in bed, I'll also use the iPAQ stylus, because I don't have a separate stylus by my bed.

When I'm driving and using my GPS, I'll use my fingers to switch tasks to my MP3 player, select a playlist or snooze an alarm.

Steve

prismejon
05-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Am I the only one who's afraid that I by accident might use the ink-side of a 3-way stylus on my PPC screen??

Sean Murphy
05-15-2003, 12:15 PM
I have the classiest stylus there is. Mine is a Monte Blanc. I took my MB rollerball that was always running dry on ink and put in a special stylus tip that I machines on an engine lathe at work so that it has the same profile and threads as the Monte Blanc ink refill. Voila you have a $140 stylus and you wouldn't believe how many people ask me where I got it.

rlobrecht
05-15-2003, 12:52 PM

I too am an all three, but I voted yes.

Ken Mattern
05-15-2003, 01:41 PM
I have a very nice heavy metal brushed steel stylus that I got as a freebee at the first Pocket PC Summit. I rarely take the stylus out of the holder in any of my PPCs. I tried the pen/stylus combination but I never did like ball point pens. So I carry my Waterman fountain pen and my stylus. And I never confuse the two. :D

edgar
05-15-2003, 02:00 PM
I have been using styli from StylusPlus for several years. They are an outstanding value. I have the wood-grain, metal, and original versions, all of which work extremely well as styli, mechanical pencils, and pens. The customization allowed by this company is great, as is the service in general. Order one day, and BAM it is in my mail box 2-3 days later. When I find myself occasionally having to use the pitiful plastic stylus that came with my hp 568 because I left my StylusPlus on my desk, I cringe.

msprague
05-15-2003, 02:42 PM
As a rule I never purchase add-on accessories for my PDAs. Not even screen protectors. What comes in the box is good enough for me, and I don't like investing in a bunch of accessories because it simply ties me down to one device...and I usually go through PDAs like packs of chewing gum. After about 4-6 months I get rid of them and move on to the latest and greatest. Right now I am considering ditching my Axim and going with one of the upcoming models from HP.I hear ya! I hate having to replace my Rotring Quattro everytime I get a new Pocket PC.

:mrgreen:

ucfgrad93
05-15-2003, 03:16 PM
As a rule I never purchase add-on accessories for my PDAs. Not even screen protectors. What comes in the box is good enough for me, and I don't like investing in a bunch of accessories because it simply ties me down to one device

I do the same thing.

I have owned a Palm Vx, Palm IIIc, Casio EM-500, Palm m515, Sony T665, and currently a hp 1910. The only accessory that I have ever bought (other than memory cards) is a Vaja case for my 1910.

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 03:23 PM
I do the same thing.

I have owned a Palm Vx, Palm IIIc, Casio EM-500, Palm m515, Sony T665, and currently a hp 1910. The only accessory that I have ever bought (other than memory cards) is a Vaja case for my 1910.

Oh my. A Vaja case is a big switch from "no accessories"... I mean, I can think of cheaper things to buy for your first accessory if you're anti-spending-on-accessories.

Of course, the Vaja case is pretty sweet.

CESkins
05-15-2003, 03:59 PM
Am I the only one who's afraid that I by accident might use the ink-side of a 3-way stylus on my PPC screen??
That's what screen protectors are for unless you are Foo Fighter and will just replace the entire PDA in a few months anyway. I have lost at least three 4-function stylus over the past 1.5 yrs...the 1st was a freebie as part of joining Club PocketPC and got me addicted. The 2nd and 3rd were from Stylus Central. Now I have three multi-function stylus/pens: 1) a pen/stylus/laserpointer, 2) Colibri pen/stylus/pencil/highlighter w/initials engraved, 3) my daily use 4-function pen/stylus/pencil/highlighter with many scratches on the metal barrel. The way you avoid writing on the screen with a pen is to purchase a set of orange stylus tips from PDA Panache. The orange tip is very distinctive and easy to see. I purchased a few when I bought my stylus pens (not to mention a custom metal stylus/pen for my HP 568) and simply swap the default stylus any pen comes with with one from PDA Panache. :) At the time PDA Panache was giving away free all-plastic stylus so I got two that are hard to mistake for anything else with their orange colored barrel or tip.

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 04:07 PM
The way you avoid writing on the screen with a pen is to purchase a set of orange stylus tips from PDA Panache. The orange tip is very distinctive and easy to see. I purchased a few when I bought my stylus pens (not to mention a custom metal stylus/pen for my HP 568) and simply swap the default stylus any pen comes with with one from PDA Panache. :) At the time PDA Panache was giving away free all-plastic stylus so I got two that are hard to mistake for anything else with their orange colored barrel or tip.

I'd almost prefer that the PENS had the orange color. As a...well... orange flag that I'm about to do something stupid. I don't need the "yes I'm using the stylus" reinforcement, I need the "no I'm using the pen" warning. ;)

gorkon280
05-15-2003, 04:12 PM
I use all 3. I use my finger when I just need to look something up quickly. I use a 3 way (I got one at Meijer for 4 bucks!) when I am doing heavy duty input (when I don't have my rollup keyboard) and the devices stylus any other time (on bus, on plane in car.....). Right now I need to pick up a new device stylus. It's a pain to carry the 3 way all of the time.

CESkins
05-15-2003, 04:13 PM
I'd almost prefer that the PENS had the orange color. As a...well... orange flag that I'm about to do something stupid. I don't need the "yes I'm using the stylus" reinforcement, I need the "no I'm using the pen" warning. ;)
Know what you mean...I have at least twice written on the screen with the pen because I usually keep the stylus tip ejected and for some reason was using the pen and forgot to switch back to the stylus. :oops: Now I always glance for the orange tip before writing/pressing on my PDA's screen (protector). An orange colored pen, though functional, unfortunately would probably not look all that attractive. :(

Right now I'm eyeing the Infiniter XP Stylus Duo Pen with Laser Pointer and Torch (http://www.styluscentral.com/inxpstylduop.html). :D

disconnected
05-15-2003, 04:33 PM
When I'm in the house, and when I'm traveling by plane, my iPAQ with PC Slider is in a Fossil zip case. I use a sensa stylus tip in a Fisher Space Pen body (shiny, smooth finish and no clip). It fits in the case's elastic stylus loop in the open position, so I don't have to take off the cap to use it.

For every day (out of the house), I carry the naked iPAQ in an Inooch case. I have the silver-colored metal stylus from PDA Panache (that fits inside the iPAQ's stylus slot).

I'm hoping my next PPC has both SD and CF slots, so I won't need a sleeve for anything. In that case, I guess I'd just have a case for PPC only, so no external stylus.

goirish!!
05-15-2003, 04:34 PM
Something I have not been able to find is a decent priced GEL pen/Stylus combo. Anyone know of one that won't break the bank?? I've become hooked on the GEL ink for it's smooth writing feel and can't find a ball point that can match it.

lurch
05-15-2003, 04:39 PM
This is what I aspire to be (oh, one day perhaps) but for right now I just use
the built-in one for everything, even the finger-pushing.

Lack of screen protector, or REALLY BIG fingers?
Oh ouch. :D

Neither of those (although I should get a screen protector) ... I've just gotten it so engrained in my head that I need to pull out the stylus that I'll whip it out for even one button tap on a huge button (although I have been known to use my fingernail on occasion)
It's just my force of habit. :)

T-Will
05-15-2003, 06:08 PM
I use the stock stylus that came with my 1910, but I definately don't think that "it's great!". It's a toothpick, but it works.

Iznot Gold
05-15-2003, 06:51 PM
If I'm out and about I'll probably use the stylus in my Ipaq. If at my desk or in a meeting where I'm also writing notes (hand writing remember that :) ) I'm using my Lamy ball point / stylus combi pen.

Regards
David

PS What are you guys that have combi pens with laser pointers using the laser pointers for - Kati? Or is that WBIC!

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 06:59 PM
PS What are you guys that have combi pens with laser pointers using the laser pointers for - Kati? Or is that WBIC!

Presentations. Always handy to have a laser pointer available. Battery life sucks, though, since it uses smaller-than-average batteries.

CESkins
05-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Presentations. Always handy to have a laser pointer available. Battery life sucks, though, since it uses smaller-than-average batteries.
I use mine for presentations as well. However, it also makes a great tool for playing with the cats....they love chasing the red dot around the house. :D

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 07:06 PM
I use mine for presentations as well. However, it also makes a great tool for playing with the cats....they love chasing the red dot around the house. :D

DEFINITELY not enough battery life for playing with cats.

I recently got a heavy-duty one that takes AAA batteries to use with the cats.

CESkins
05-15-2003, 07:09 PM

I agree and those small batteries that the stylus/laser-pointer uses are expensive. Cost ~ $10 US to buy 3 and they last only ~ 1 hr with continuous use. Where did you get your heavy duty AAA version? My cats would love it if I bought a longer lasting, cheaper laser pointer :D(though I suspect my wife would have some objections ;) )

normaldude
05-15-2003, 07:51 PM
I just use the original stylus with my Toshiba e310, and carry a wallet pen with me in my wallet. That way, I always have a stylus and pen with me at all times. And I don't have to worry about finding a new combo pen/stylus everytime I get a new PDA.

http://store5.yimg.com/I/styluscentralcom_1736_3701876

http://store.yahoo.com/styluscentralcom/walletpen.html

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 07:54 PM

I agree and those small batteries that the stylus/laser-pointer uses are expensive. Cost ~ $10 US to buy 3 and they last only ~ 1 hr with continuous use. Where did you get your heavy duty AAA version? My cats would love it if I bought a longer lasting, cheaper laser pointer :D(though I suspect my wife would have some objections ;) )

I actually got it from the University of Michigan, so I don't know. ;)

I think from online distributors like Hosfelt you might do better on the price. 10 for $3 is the Radio Shack price.

Iznot Gold
05-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Hmmm....I do presentations without the aid of a laser pointer. Maybe I'm missing out on something?...Also don't have cats!

Best wishes

David

PS Kati - How do you get time to do presentations...having contributed over 1% of all posts to this site..lol....& in such a small amount of time!

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 08:37 PM
PS Kati - How do you get time to do presentations...having contributed over 1% of all posts to this site..lol....& in such a small amount of time!

Easy. I can't work for more than an hour or two straight. I need frequent breaks. ;)

Iznot Gold
05-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Kati get back to work .....you're scaring me now....always logged in? I only just posted.

David

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Kati get back to work .....you're scaring me now....always logged in? I only just posted.

Actually, you caught me on a break. ;)

CESkins
05-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Hmmm....I do presentations without the aid of a laser pointer. Maybe I'm missing out on something?...Also don't have cats!
Iznot looks like you are missing out in two areas...presentations and pets. ;)

I actually got it from the University of Michigan, so I don't know
I also work @ the UofM (at least up until June). Did you get it from one of the biomed companies selling research reagents? Some of them were giving away a free keychain laserpointer @ one time. I could order it through a lab but would prefer not to.

Iznot Gold
05-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Yeah ...right ...on a break or just never working...lol. Sorry this is just a shameless attempt to get rid of my 'pupil' status! What do I need to progress?

David

CESkins
05-15-2003, 08:48 PM
Sorry this is just a shameless attempt to get rid of my 'pupil' status! What do I need to progress?
A degree in pocket-pc-ology. :D

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 08:48 PM
I also work @ the UofM (at least up until June). Did you get it from one of the biomed companies selling research reagents? Some of them were giving away a free keychain laserpointer @ one time. I could order it through a lab but would prefer not to.

I don't work there - I was interviewing. I got it from the school - it's labeled "Univerisity of Michigan". Maybe check the main campus bookstore?

Crystal Eitle
05-15-2003, 08:49 PM
I use the stock stylus that came with my 1910, but I definately don't think that "it's great!". It's a toothpick, but it works.

But the nice think about the 1910 stylus is that it's metal, so it has a decent heft to it, even if it is small.

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Yeah ...right ...on a break or just never working...lol.

Depends on whether you ask me or my boss. :)

Iznot Gold
05-15-2003, 08:54 PM
Oooer 'Admin in training' watching the posts...quickly back on topic...before we're told off for going off topic.....did I mention that I use a Lamy...it's a wonderful pen...on my second one now having lost my first after lending it to someone at a conference.

David

Janak Parekh
05-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Yeah ...right ...on a break or just never working...lol. Sorry this is just a shameless attempt to get rid of my 'pupil' status! What do I need to progress?
See this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12349).

And when Kati says she's taking breaks, that's because she has to. If you work on academic research material, it's next to impossible to keep long-term attention -- the stuff's just too dense. That is, unless your deadline is tomorrow. ;)

--janak

Iznot Gold
05-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks Janak...I see I should have been a member when I was doing my dissertation...then may be I'd have made it beyond 'pupil'

All the best

David

PS In a vain attempt to keep it on topic (almost) I also use a Linn Arkiv Stylus...& if you know what that means you're also a sad audiophile!!

T-Will
05-15-2003, 09:24 PM

But the nice think about the 1910 stylus is that it's metal, so it has a decent heft to it, even if it is small.

Yeah that's a plus...are there any other Pocket PC's with stock metal styli?

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 09:27 PM
And when Kati says she's taking breaks, that's because she has to. If you work on academic research material, it's next to impossible to keep long-term attention -- the stuff's just too dense. That is, unless your deadline is tomorrow. ;)

That too. But right now I'm coding.... :P

Actually, the more complex the program, the more breaks I need. This one's a doozy.

Iznot Gold
05-15-2003, 09:45 PM
Sorry Kati...I don't do coding..especially as its 9.45pm here in the UK & I'm well into a rather fine bottle of Oz Reisling wine..cheers!

David

Jonathon Watkins
05-15-2003, 10:41 PM
I didn't much care for the Axim's stylus at first, but it has grown on me.

Same here - it's not bad really - but that flat shape does take getting used to.

Jonathon Watkins
05-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Yeah that's a plus...are there any other Pocket PC's with stock metal styli?

The Dell Axim has a light metal stylus with a plastic tip. It's pretty good.

yvilla
05-16-2003, 01:14 AM
Something I have not been able to find is a decent priced GEL pen/Stylus combo. Anyone know of one that won't break the bank?? I've become hooked on the GEL ink for it's smooth writing feel and can't find a ball point that can match it.

I just got a really great Cross gel pen/stylus combo at Staples. Like you I don't like ball point pens at all, and had been waiting for ages for a rollerball or gel pen/stylus. I don't know if around 30.00 fits your definition of breaking the bank though. :?

I also use both the combo and the original stylus; the combo usually only at my desk at work though.

And to answer djtipmothee's question: I was pleasantly surprised to find that my new e750 came with a cool black metal stylus. Much nicer than all the stock plastic styli I was used to!

goirish!!
05-16-2003, 01:38 AM

I just got a really great Cross gel pen/stylus combo at Staples. Like you I don't like ball point pens at all, and had been waiting for ages for a rollerball or gel pen/stylus. I don't know if around 30.00 fits your definition of breaking the bank though. :?

What was the brand. Sounds like something that I would be interested in!!!!!! I was beginning to loose faith. Six pages and not a single bite

Thanks!!!!
:rock on dude!:

yvilla
05-16-2003, 02:53 AM
Cross. In the revolving floor display, near the glass cases where all the really expensive pens are, at least at my Staples. 0h, and the gel "Ion" pens were in the same revolving display. Good luck finding it. :)

Dave Beauvais
05-20-2003, 11:33 PM
I use a Sanford Ph.D. Multi (http://www.styluscentral.com/sanphdmulpen.html) every day, which is carried in my pocket. The local Staples has them for just under US$6.00, though their Web site (http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=PAP69074) lists them for US$10.91.

In the car and by my bed I have an Avery DoubleClick (http://www.styluscentral.com/avdoub.html). I bought two of these when StylusCentral had them on sale for US$1.99 each last year sometime. I don't recommend these despite their low cost because the Ph.D. is so much nicer. The Avery's silver paint starts to rub off after only a few days of use, leaving behind the white plastic underneath. The "soft" rubber grip is anything but, and the plastic "creaks" during use, making the pen seem very cheaply made. The turquoise tip was an unusual change from the orange that most other third-party styli are made with, however, and I think I actually like it better.

In my iPAQ itself, I use a stylus/pen (http://www.pdapanache.com/products.asp?PID=IPQ38) from PDA Panache (http://www.pdapanache.com/). I chose the chrome one, but sometimes wish I'd chosen black, instead. Oh well. :)

--Dave

ctmagnus
05-21-2003, 12:00 AM
I chose the chrome one, but sometimes wish I'd chosen black, instead. Oh well. :)

--Dave

I went for a black Fisher Space Pen (I'd provide a link but the website isn't up right now) and on the way home (bought it in the city) the pen managed to suction itself shut the way pop bottles contract when you go from a higher altitude to a lower one. I had to use my teeth to get it open and it turns out the pen is made of a brassy-coloured metal with a (fairly thin) layer of black paint over top. Moral of the story: a) Don't use your teeth to open your nice, new stylus, or b) Don't let your nice, new stylus suction itself shut! ;)

Pony99CA
06-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Right now I'm eyeing the Infiniter XP Stylus Duo Pen with Laser Pointer and Torch (http://www.styluscentral.com/inxpstylduop.html). :D
Thanks for the tip on that stylus. I bought one myself and love it so far.

There's also a similar product from Belkin -- the Quadra 4-in-1 Pen (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=137353) -- which looks like the Infiniter XP II. PC Connection (http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/productdetail.asp?product_id=331757) has them for $13.95 (I paid almost $30 for the XP from Stylus Central).

Steve