View Full Version : <yell><spit>OUTLOOK ARRRRRRRGGGG</spit></yell>

delfuhd
05-14-2003, 10:22 AM
Hmph.. Outlook is a nice little program for me that I use to get my email, and sync with, and don't have pretty much any problems. except when I go to get a file someone has sent me and I can reach it because "Outlook has blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attatchments: non-corruptfile.exe, importantdoc.doc, heylookyourweddingpicture.jpeg."

How do I get it from Not doing this?? I haven't been able to find any menu.. Arg it's annoying I hate having to ask for things twice, then go to another place to download the email. bleh!

Thanks for any help guys...

Yomes
05-14-2003, 10:35 AM
From http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-104

1. Open the Registry Editor.
2. Expand the branches to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Office\ 10.0\ Outlook\ Security
3. Create a new string value by selecting New and then String Value from the Edit menu.
4. Name the new value Level1Remove.
5. Double-click the new Level1Remove to edit it, and enter the filename extensions you'd like to stop Outlook from blocking. Extensions should be typed in lower case, without the dots (.), and separated by semicolons (;). For example, type
exe;mdb;vbs to allow .exe, .mdb, and .vbs attachments, respectfully.
6. Click Ok and then close the Registry Editor when you're done. You may have to restart Outlook for this change to take effect.

;)

Done, and it works, as I did myself a month ago or so

Saludos desde Espaņa

Dave Beauvais
05-14-2003, 05:17 PM
The free Outlook add-in called "Attachment Options (http://www.slovaktech.com/attachmentoptions.htm)" can greatly simplify this task. It's much easier than delving into the registry to make the changes.

--Dave

davidspalding
05-15-2003, 09:25 AM
The instructions above are for Office XP. The registry key is different for Office 2000. I recommend the "Attachment Options" tool instead, to avoid confusion.

In my "copious free time" &lt;/sarcasm> I'm trying to find out how to stop Outlook 2000 SP3 from a) blocking MIME e-mail message attachments, and b) preventing me from forwarding mail as attachments. I know I read up on this when SP3 came out, but don't have leads on the fix. Unless hte "fix" was to NOT install SP3 ... which I was stupid enough to forget. Sound familiar to anyone?

delfuhd
05-15-2003, 10:26 AM
Hmm well I downoaded/installed Attatchment Options, but I can't find the menu anywhere in my outlook. ? Any help?

davidspalding
05-15-2003, 11:24 AM
It's under the Tools | Options command.

delfuhd
05-16-2003, 10:24 AM
yeah, it's not there. There's no tabs or anything that I can find..

stitics
05-16-2003, 10:39 AM
As a result of this thread I tried Attachment Options and for me the access to those controls were in Tools | Options | Attachment Security & Options.

davidspalding
05-17-2003, 08:00 AM
yeah, it's not there. There's no tabs or anything that I can find..
What version Outlook are you using, anyway? Compare what you see on your system with the screen shots here (http://www.slovaktech.com/attachmentoptions.htm). If still in doubt, RTFM the Attachment Options page and see if you did something funky. That's about all the help I can offer. Remember, this is a computer, you have to outsmart it. ;)

delfuhd
05-17-2003, 11:33 PM
umm how do I find out what version I'm using? I think it's outlook 2002, it looks nothing liket he screen shots, im using windows XP

blazingwolf
05-18-2003, 12:34 AM
Open Outlook. Click on help then on about. It should list your version at the top of the about screen.

delfuhd
05-18-2003, 03:39 AM
It says..

Microsoft Outlook 2002 (10.2627.2625)

Dave Beauvais
05-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Are you logged in as a user with administrative rights on your Windows XP machine? It's likely that only an administrator will be able to install this software successfully.

--Dave

lurch
05-20-2003, 09:47 PM
umm how do I find out what version I'm using? I think it's outlook 2002, it looks nothing liket he screen shots, im using windows XP
Some versions don't have the menu everybody's referring to. I had this problem here at work recently, and a co-worker came over to show me the "magical menu" but it didn't exist on mine.. we were using the same version of outlook (2000) but I don't think we compared build numbers or service pack versions....

So don't fret if it's not there, it doesn't exist on mine, and mine continues to block all sorts of business-related materials!!! :(

I also noticed that with mine (keep in mind I'm hooked up to Exchange Server here at work) the blocking setting is set on the server, not in my client copy of Outlook, so the only way to change it is via an email admin anyway (which I used to have access too... d0h!)

davidspalding
05-21-2003, 02:48 AM
Wait a dang minute ... are you seeing that down arrow looking thing on the bottom of the menues .... check Tools Customize and see if "personalized menues" is enabled. That can explain the "this menu isn't on my version."

Teh type of e-mail support is set up on Tools | Options (or is in Outlook 2000) ... but usually requires the installation CD to change.