View Full Version : Stylus + CF/SD questions.

maximus
05-14-2003, 02:02 AM
2 simple questions :

1. Any stylus (from other brand) can be used with axim, is that correct ?

2. All these time, I was plugging and unpluggin CF/SD card with the PPC on. Yesterday, a friend saw me doing that, and she told me that plugging/unplugging CF/SD card while the PPC is on can damage the cards. Is that correct ?

Mark Kenepp
05-14-2003, 02:11 AM
1. Any stylus can be used to tap on the screen. Even your fingernail :lol:
If you mean will it fit in the stylus slot on your Axim, I would suspect a stylus specifically designed to fit in the Axim will fit.

(Those designed specifically not to fit will not :splat: )

2. On my Jornada 568, whenever I remove or insert a CF card the machine turns itself on. My guess would be it is safer to have the unit off when changing cards but in my case, that is not an option.

Cheers,

maximus
05-14-2003, 02:18 AM
heheh. yes, I do mean "can I insert any stylus into axim's slot?"

I somehow managed to lost my original stylus. duh. and dell singapore does not have ready supply of the stylus. and there is a store on my ofice building selling ipaq stylus ... anyone know if it will fit into axim's slot ?

dumdum
05-14-2003, 03:07 AM
no not any stylus will fit other ppc.

As for the card, i have a ebookman and i change card all the time.

How is this going to hurt the card, i know that the info can be corrupted if you remove it while its writing, but other than that i dont think so.

Shadowcat
05-14-2003, 06:32 AM
Well I have never even thought about turning off my iPAQ before switching cards (nor the other devices with CF slots that I own). None of my cards have every had any problems whatsoever. I'd be worried only if you are reading or writing from the card. That would almost definately damage your card.

Abba Zabba
05-15-2003, 05:44 AM
I never knew that you should turn off the power first 8O Can anyone tell me how it corrupts your data :?:

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Well, given that taking out the CF card or putting it in my Axim turns on the unit, I'm not too worried.

Abba Zabba
05-15-2003, 06:01 AM
Well, given that taking out the CF card or putting it in my Axim turns on the unit, I'm not too worried.

I don't have an Axim, but I have had the opp to play with one. Why does this happen?

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 06:02 AM
I don't have an Axim, but I have had the opp to play with one. Why does this happen?

Not sure.

Abba Zabba
05-15-2003, 06:03 AM
Thanks for such a quick response. dang that was fast.

Kati Compton
05-15-2003, 06:13 AM
Thanks for such a quick response. dang that was fast.

But not all that useful, unfortunately... ;)

Janak Parekh
05-15-2003, 04:17 PM
2. All these time, I was plugging and unpluggin CF/SD card with the PPC on. Yesterday, a friend saw me doing that, and she told me that plugging/unplugging CF/SD card while the PPC is on can damage the cards. Is that correct ?
No, this can't be correct. CF and SD cards are designed to be "hot-pluggable" -- witness PC cards that you can insert into the laptop while it's on -- and that's by design. In fact, look at the pins in the CF slot and note they're not all uniformly deep -- some of them are deeper and some of them are shallower. This is designed so that the card gets powered before the data pins get in contact with the card.

The only damage you can do is corruption, if a program or the OS is accessing the card while you eject it.

--janak