View Full Version : How did you do it before CE/PPC?

WillyG
05-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Time for a nosy Parker poll again
I was wondering, what "portable PIM system" did you use before you came to the PPC camp (prior to your first PocketPC/Windows CE device)?
Also it would you mind listing up what you used if more than one?
(including the CE/PPC ones)

Im under under the impression some change device with same frequency as they change thieir underwear ;)

UPDATE: Stupid me tried to edit my orginal post and the poll just disapeared, well that gave me the chance of adding the Psion option wich i forgot in the first place. Feel free to vote again those 35 that already did. The orginal numbers was:
A paper based system
22% [ 8 ]
A system based on Palm OS
31% [ 11 ]
I used the PIM functions on my mobile phone
5% [ 2 ]
I used Apple Newton
5% [ 2 ]
Other small electronic organizer
20% [ 7 ]
Didnt used a portable planner prior to CE/PPC
14% [ 5 ]

Total Votes : 35

UPDATE 2: Well, i messed up the poll bigtime, and it disapeared again :lol: , maby i should quit the fancy stuff and just ask simple questions

WillyG
05-13-2003, 11:29 AM
Here is my list:
1) Cheap "databank" (Dont remember its brand, but it could send DMTF codes to call numbers in its phone directory)
2) Casio Databank
3) Filofax, "Pencil & Pen OS"
4) Timex Datalink watch (synced with MS Schedule+, using an eye on the watch, wich i had to hold up to a CRT monitor (worked excelent and looked impressive)
5) Filofax (second try)
6) Casio Casiopeia E10 (4MB), WindowsCE 2.1?
7) Palm V (upgraded to 8MB), PalmOS 4.3
8) Compaq iPAQ 3660 (64MB), PPC2000/2002
9) Fujitsu Siemens Pocket LOOX 600 (60 MB), PPC2002

drop
05-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Must you remind us of the horror?

Filofax > Different sizes of Franklin Planner > :idea: Outlook > :idea: :idea: Handspring Visor Platinum > :mrgreen: Axim :mrgreen:

Shaun Stuart
05-13-2003, 12:39 PM
Your survey does not have an option for Epoc

PDA History

Psion2
Psion3
Psion3a
Palm Pilot (for about a week - before returning)
Psion5

Phillips Nino
Jornada 548
Ipaq3630
Nokia 9210
Ipaq3870 + T68
Sony Ericsson P800

davidspalding
05-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Letts of London appointment books, and used the address book of my phone.

Years ago, I used my Omnibook 800 from HP. Great little computer, I synced it with work, and would bring files home on it (when I had dialup at home). With the advent of affordable broadband, I stopped needing to carry it around. But lusted for a PPC for years. Finally got one in 2002. And no more paper calendars!

WillyG
05-13-2003, 02:02 PM

Im sorry, i forgot that one. As i cant find a way to add the option, i sugest the "Other electronic planner" option

Kati Compton
05-13-2003, 03:50 PM

Im sorry, i forgot that one. As i cant find a way to add the option, i sugest the "Other electronic planner" option

I think if you edit the original post, you can edit the poll options. I could be wrong, though.

I had a Psion 3a, Palm III, then Axim, but I've also relied on my whiteboard by my desk and post-its.

WillyG
05-13-2003, 03:58 PM
I think if you edit the original post, you can edit the poll options. I could be wrong, though.

Thats what i thought too, but i cant find it. I can edit the text of the first post below the post tho. Im quite sure i have done it before. Maby i should book an apointment with a ophthalmologist.

Kati Compton
05-13-2003, 04:23 PM

Thats what i thought too, but i cant find it. I can edit the text of the first post below the post tho. Im quite sure i have done it before. Maby i should book an apointment with a ophthalmologist.

Perhaps once someone other than you has posted or voted there can no longer be any changes...

rave
05-13-2003, 05:22 PM
1. Outlook in a laptop
2. Left company, lost laptop
3. Got Palm IIIc
4. Got annoyed at 160x160 screen which disappears outdoors
5. Needed more power and flexibility
6. Got iPAQ 3835
7. Happy

:lol:

dochall
05-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Psion Organiser II
Atari Portfolio - the first DOS compatible palmtop?
Psion 3a
Psion 3c
Psion 5
Psion 5mx
Compaq Aero 2130 (Had to use it as I worked for them at the time, left it on a train after about six weeks and went back to the Psion but it did clear some bigotory)
Compaq Ipaq 3630
Compaq Ipaq 3660 (left on a plane - what is it with me and transport)
Compoq Ipaq 3660
Compaq Ipaq 3870

I'll upgrade when the 5550 comes out.

Oh and I also did some lusting after the newt but never bought.

Mark Kenepp
05-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Going way back, I used to keep everything on a pocketable notepad. That was back in high school when I never needed to organize myself.

In college, I used a Casio Databank watch.

After:
Palm Pilot Pro
Psion Series 5
Ericsson MC218
Ericsson r380
HP Jornada 568

Still use the last three on a daily basis, though the jornada is with me all the time.

WillyG
05-13-2003, 05:49 PM
In college, I used a Casio Databank watch.

Oh yea i remember those, those where advanced stuff back there. And there was a plethoria of brands and copys. I had some of those too (updating my first list). That reminds me i even had a Timex Datalink watch too (synced with Schedule+ using some rays on the screen)

wocket
05-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Here's my little history of pda's

Notepad

various casio watches :D

Psion 3a

Apple Newton type thing Ok it was called an Emate and looked like a green plastic handbag

3com plam (before some "person" knicked from my jacket in a pub)

HP Jornada 420 (My Nokia 7650 display reminds me of it)

Casio Cassiopeia e115 (gave it to a mate. It had a lovely display)

iPAQ 3850 my current pda of choice! :)

Fujitsu Siemens P2020 (OK its a notebook but it's so tiny with a widescreen and a Crusoe processor. I wonder why they stopped making them for the UK market?)

Sharp Zaurus SL5500

Nokia 7650