View Full Version : I just discovered they don't like being dropped...

Tim Allen
05-12-2003, 08:57 PM
I bought my trusty 3660 almost 2 years ago to the day, and it's served me faithfully every day since. My loyal and eager assistant, sticking to me like glue, never leaving my side.

Yet today - oh fateful day - it made a sudden, desperate bid for freedom, somehow slipping from my hand as I tried to carry too many things between meetings. Time stood still as I watched its silent, slow-motion fall to earth, then the heart-rending crack as it hit the office floor (industrial carpet, zero shock-absorption).

Bending down, panicking, how many pieces? Relaxing slightly - still only one. But - horror - something's wrong with the screen. What are those streaky dark patches? Turn it on, pray to the god of liquid crystal, but alas, only a series of multi-coloured lines and more random streaks. The meeting passes in a blur; I have no idea what the outcome was. I was in mourning :cry:.

I couldn't believe it - I still can't - how did it happen? I've always been so careful. How could I have been so clumsy? Maybe it was fate, somebody telling me I need a new Pocket PC. That's how I'm dealing with it anyway :?.

Anyone have any experience of getting Compaq/HP replacement screens (preferably in Europe)?

don dre
05-12-2003, 09:00 PM
linearlogix.com in the US as well as PPCtechs

Chris Spera
05-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Call Leonard at PPC Techs. Let him know your from Thoughts. I'm not sure how much a new screen will cost you for a 3600; but at least after you have that info, you'll be able to determine if you want to ditch it or fix it.

good luck!

Christopher Spera

Pony99CA
05-13-2003, 03:16 AM
Call Leonard at PPC Techs. Let him know your from Thoughts. I'm not sure how much a new screen will cost you for a 3600; but at least after you have that info, you'll be able to determine if you want to ditch it or fix it.

And I thought you were an expert on Pocket PC suicides (http://www.pocketnow.com/cgi-bin/directory/content.cgi?db=periodicals&id=32). :lol:

Steve

xoiph
05-13-2003, 04:38 PM
Lol, and I thought I was the only one who cared for my iPaq like a baby. I even named her Lizzy :mrgreen: It's good to see other people are just as geeky.

xoiph
05-13-2003, 04:42 PM
I's sorry about your iPaq though. I once spilled coffee on my iPaq and had to sell it on eBay for a pathetic $150 even though the only things wrong with it was the internal speaker and buttons 3 and 4. Oh well, three months later and I'm now the proud owner of a nice 1910. It feels like getting a new puppy, it's so damn cute!

Jacob
05-13-2003, 05:10 PM
It feels like getting a new puppy, it's so damn cute!

I know what you mean, except you don't have to pick up crap with the 1910!!! :mrgreen:

Tim Allen
05-13-2003, 08:02 PM
Thanks all for your suggestions (and sympathy!). Further investigation of the options reveals that it's just going to be too expensive to repair, along the lines of £200 or more - I can get a new Axim for not much more than that.

Yeah the 1910 is neat but I need more features, and the 5450 is just too expensive. Sorry guys but looks like I'll be defecting to Dell :|.

Tim Allen
05-13-2003, 08:05 PM
Lol, and I thought I was the only one who cared for my iPaq like a baby. I even named her Lizzy :mrgreen: It's good to see other people are just as geeky.

Er, I draw the line at giving it a name - so not quite as geeky :lol:.

jsanfordii
05-13-2003, 09:22 PM
I call mine iPaqzilla because I think I saw someone refer to the 5455 as that at one point. Besides, how will your wife (or significant other :lol: ) know who to get mad at for not spending as much time with her? Might as well give your baby a name...

james