View Full Version : 5555 vs. i700

maximus
05-12-2003, 04:29 AM
Ok. suppose I am purchasing a second PPC in June. After noting the specs of both PPCPE, I would go with 5555 instead of i700. Anyone care to comment the otherwise ? If yes, why ?

No, I dont need that camera on i700. I have minolta F300 and nikon 5700 already.

Ramin
05-12-2003, 06:07 AM
You shouldn't compare the integrated camera on the Samsung PocketPC with a dedicated digital camera like the Minolta, Nikon - It's like comparing a shovel to an excavator... (Okay, maybe that's going to far... but you know what I mean). :mrgreen:

An integrated camera on a PDA would be handy for taking ad-hoc snapshots (I remember all the times I wished I had my camera around, but I only had my cellphone & PocketPC) or for videoconferencing.

Nevertheless, I think I would have chosen the iPAQ h5550 over the i700 also... albeit for different reasons. :)

danielalvers
05-12-2003, 07:36 AM
Will the h5555 be GSM/CDMA? I am on the convergence trail and find the i700 integration to be too much to pass-up.

maximus
05-12-2003, 07:41 AM
Will the h5555 be GSM/CDMA? I am on the convergence trail and find the i700 integration to be too much to pass-up.

Should be available in both versions, I think.

You shouldn't compare the integrated camera on the Samsung PocketPC with a dedicated digital camera like the Minolta, Nikon - It's like comparing a shovel to an excavator... (Okay, maybe that's going to far... but you know what I mean).

I know, I know. I put the paragraph above merely to avoid replies like 'i700 has camera, 5555 doesnt' .... What I want is argument on the technical aspects of both PPCPE.

Pony99CA
05-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Should be available in both versions, I think.

Really? Please cite your sources on that. The HP 5555 is likely the consumer version of the 5550, and the 5550 is just an improved 5450 (128 MB RAM, Pocket PC 2003, etc.). Nothing I have seen has indicated there would be phone capability. See the discussion in the "iPAQ 5550 Rumors Surfacing" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11755), for example.

The i700 will be a Pocket PC Phone Edition system, and not really comparable.

Steve

maximus
05-12-2003, 11:16 AM
Alright, called a friend at HP singapore, he mentioned that HP will launch a PPCPE (integrated BT, wifi, GSM) in june, with pocketPC2003 and 128+64 RAM. He cannot confirm the model number yet. He said, and I quote "It could be the 55 series, or the brand new 60 series, but definitely not the 56 series, because it is scrapped already".

Now lets hope they put an integrated CF slot :D Halleluya. At long last :p

bdegroodt
05-12-2003, 08:46 PM
Alright, called a friend at HP singapore, he mentioned that HP will launch a PPCPE (integrated BT, wifi, GSM) in june, with pocketPC2003 and 128+64 RAM. He cannot confirm the model number yet. He said, and I quote "It could be the 55 series, or the brand new 60 series, but definitely not the 56 series, because it is scrapped already".

I find that really odd given HP's public announcement turning their back on an integrated PPC/Phone device.

Pony99CA
05-13-2003, 12:16 AM

I find that really odd given HP's public announcement turning their back on an integrated PPC/Phone device.
As do I. The only way I can reconcile the two statements is if the one stating there wouldn't be a convergent device was for the U.S.; Asia may have a different strategy.

Steve

bdegroodt
05-13-2003, 12:45 AM

As do I. The only way I can reconcile the two statements is if the one stating there wouldn't be a convergent device was for the U.S.; Asia may have a different strategy.

Steve

I guess there's always Dynamism. :)

maximus
05-13-2003, 03:58 AM
Out of curiosity ... what caused the significant difference in marketing scheme in U.S. and Asia? I just overheard the news that the i700 with CF sleeve will only be released in asia.

Abba Zabba
05-13-2003, 09:48 AM

Like I said back in a previous topic, I think hp is just pulling the wool over our eyes. What is the best way to keep something hidden?... Announce that it was in dev then say you're scrapping the idea :fro:

bdegroodt
05-13-2003, 01:46 PM

Like I said back in a previous topic, I think hp is just pulling the wool over our eyes. What is the best way to keep something hidden?... Announce that it was in dev then say you're scrapping the idea :fro:

Maybe if you're Joe's PDA Shop, but it's hardly a smart business move if you're an HP. You don't come out and state that the facts indicate that consumers don't want a converged device and then 6 months later release that product you "scrapped." I think the rumor is baseless or the HP spokesperson that sited the original plans being scrapped was speaking without his/her facts straight. Given there is no GSM/GPRS/CDMA PPC from HP, I'd have to side with the rumor is baseless. Guess we'll know by the end of the year right?