View Full Version : Elite for the Pocket PC Reviewed

Jason Dunn
05-11-2003, 06:25 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pdacorps.com/default.asp?key=pages/ElitePPC1.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.pdacorps.com/default.asp...s/ElitePPC1.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"Whilst most gamers will no doubt know all about Elite already, and will almost certainly be more than a little interested about the fact that it's due to hit the PocketPC, there will still be some who might benefit from something of an introduction. It was nearly 20 years ago that computer gaming started to grow up. In my eyes, that coming of age was heralded by the arrival of one single game. Back then, software houses would literally be just that - 'houses', consisting not of teams of developers but perhaps one or two programmers. Elite was written by two college friends in 1984 who decided to create a space trading game in their spare time while attending university. Elite rocked the gaming world and is still revered as a classic today. That's some achievement considering this was a game written for the BBC Micro computer in 1984. Elite would soon spread to virtually all home computers throughout the years but the BBC version was regarded as the best for many years."

bbarker
05-11-2003, 06:57 AM
I've been computing since 1981 but I'm not sure what a BBC Micro computer is.

Rob Borek
05-11-2003, 07:38 AM
I've been computing since 1981 but I'm not sure what a BBC Micro computer is.

http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/bbc/history.php3

bbarker
05-11-2003, 07:56 AM
Rob, thanks for the link. I do remember Acorn but I hadn't heard of the BBC Micro. Sounds like it was an impressive machine in its time.

The 6502 processor was a versatile chip. My first computer, an Atari 800, had it, as did the Apple II. I bought the Atari because in 1981 it seemed to offer the most built-in capabilities and potential. Its graphics were great and it had pretty good sound capabilities. But Atari never saw it as much more than a game machine and never pursued its potential. My main purpose was not games. I was able to buy a reasonably good word processing program, a database and the famous VisiCalc spreadsheet. But I was continually frustrated by the Apple II's expandability and the plethora of programs available compared to my Atari 800, despite comparable hardware, keyboard, floppy drives and all.

I eventually sold the Atari and bought an IBM.

Kevin Daly
05-11-2003, 08:16 AM
BBC Micro: Very cool machines.
And there is a sort of almost-relationship to the current crop of Pocket PCs: The BBC Micro was produced by Acorn Computer, and although it was 6502-based the same company went on to design the ARM chip that was at the heart of the Archimedes, then spun ARM off into a separate company.
The ARM chip in the fullness of time (and after changes of ownership and licensing,and with input from various others) eventually begat StrongARM, which is of course the base CPU supported by Pocket PC 2002.
(What are Clive Curry and Herman Hauser up to these days?)
I remember Elite very well...it was the first truly engrossing, weekend-devouring game I played. Manual docking at the revolving space stations was always a pain (very,very fussy), but there was a peculiar fascination in checking out the goods and prices at the various ports of call, and gradually building up a seriously arse-kicking combat craft.
In a lot of ways Pocket PC development reminds me of working with the early machines like the BBC Micro: developing software for the sheer fun of it, and investing lots of ingenuity in getting around the limitations of the machine.
(I hate to sound like Granpa Simpson, but computer magazines were IMO also more interesting then, before everything became terminally earnest and businesslike. Do any UK readers remember Microcomputer Printout?)
In short (said he ending his demented ramble), I can't wait to get my hands on this one :D

Nellwaskilled
05-11-2003, 08:44 AM
who needs computer magazines when you get Zines and Blog

Hey, I thought Elite PPC port was pulled out of the circulation because the original author doesn't permit it?

andrewlwood
05-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Seems to still be on hold- it you try to download it, you can't because of pending copyright issues. Boo hoo! I loved this game on my Acorn Electron

Ben909
05-11-2003, 11:42 AM
who needs computer magazines when you get Zines and Blog

Hey, I thought Elite PPC port was pulled out of the circulation because the original author doesn't permit it?

It was pulled, but there has been some progress since then :) I'll see if I can get one of those responsible for the PPC version to leave a comment here with the latest status.

Jonathon Watkins
05-11-2003, 02:45 PM
The memories, the memories. :D Yup, I was 'Elite' once. 8)
Lets just not talk about the ‘updated’ version of Elite for the PC a few years ago. Talk about bug infested!

Kevin Daly
05-11-2003, 09:39 PM
The memories, the memories. :D Yup, I was 'Elite' once. 8)
Me too :)

I remember the sense of accomplishment, and that tiny voice in the back of my mind suggesting that I might want to think about getting a life.
Fortunately, I quickly silenced that voice and it has never returned to trouble me since. 0X

AlexMakin
05-12-2003, 01:18 AM
Aaaaahhhhh..... Good old Elite, eh? This was a fantastic game and I spent many long nights playing it on my Amiga back in the late 80's... Ahhh the memories...

What a pleasure it was and what a pleasure it may well be... though something tells me my wife will be further unimpressed now that I have yet *another* reason to spend so much time on my PPC. ;)

This game is truly ace 0X and I wait with bated breath should it ever be approved to be released on the PPC. Money well spent, I should say...

NLS
05-12-2003, 09:55 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I WANT IT!

Kaber
05-12-2003, 05:58 PM
I agree. I must have this game. Immediately. :twisted:

Kaber
05-15-2003, 05:05 PM
I was serious.