View Full Version : Samsung I700

maximus
05-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Overhyped ?

A friend of mine, who co-owned a telco company, just got back from a shareholder meeting at samsung korea ... he brought back a I700.

I can say that I am not that impressed with the korean version of I700.

300 mhz processor. duh.
Screen is not transflective. Slightly smaller than my axim's screen.
It has a camera. Big deal, the resolution is only 0.233 effective MP.
No wifi/BT integration.

And the biggest turn-off was .. no CF slot.

Nellwaskilled
05-10-2003, 02:45 AM
You mean there is a smartphones in this world with CF slot option? 8O

But all in all it seems to be an improvement over XDA. Definitely a cool phone.

maximus
05-10-2003, 03:28 AM
Ok, I am currently at his home, staring at the i700, accessories, and documentation.

Apparently it is sold in 2 different packages:
1. i700 regular, PPC + 1 extra battery
2. i700 plus, PPC + 1 CF sleeve with a battery (ipaq styled CF sleeve with battery)

With the CF sleeve on, it is kinda bulky.

There is a delay in accessing contacts in sim card, around 1-1.1 seconds.

Ok, I must admit, this device is definitely several steps ahead of the XDA. but I still think that an integrated CF slot will be nice. Too bad this is a CDMA device.

ConceptVBS
05-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Ok, I am currently at his home, staring at the i700, accessories, and documentation.

Apparently it is sold in 2 different packages:
1. i700 regular, PPC + 1 extra battery
2. i700 plus, PPC + 1 CF sleeve with a battery (ipaq styled CF sleeve with battery)

With the CF sleeve on, it is kinda bulky.

There is a delay in accessing contacts in sim card, around 1-1.1 seconds.

Ok, I must admit, this device is definitely several steps ahead of the XDA. but I still think that an integrated CF slot will be nice. Too bad this is a CDMA device.

There is also a GSM version in the works. :D It might come out this year.

BTW, I think a CF slot would make the unit too bulky. I have a Dell Axim PDA (which has a CF slot AND a SD slot) and its quite thick and heavy. Also, there are more and more modules (GPS, camera, bluetooth, etc.) that are coming for the SD slots.

05-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Why, oh why did they not include bluetooth? Can you say EXPANDABILITY? Corporate decision makers must take heed. we want a device like pc's very expandable, but easy to use by itself. Pay attention damnit, your taxing my patience.

maximus
05-11-2003, 04:37 AM
personally, I was curious why samsung choose the PXA250/300 mhz. why not invest an additional $5-10 and get the PXA255/400.

and a CF slot... for the compilation of 300 mp3s on my 1GB CF ..... for the Wifi ...

Charles Pickrell
05-11-2003, 05:28 AM
Why, oh why did they not include bluetooth? Can you say EXPANDABILITY? Corporate decision makers must take heed. we want a device like pc's very expandable, but easy to use by itself. Pay attention damnit, your taxing my patience.

If you look at Samsung's mobile telephony products (cell phones and PDAs) none of them support Bluetooth.

Jacob
05-11-2003, 06:35 AM

Who's we?

Not everyone wants/needs bluetooth. I'd prefer a PPC/phone that's cheaper and doesn't have it.

Sslixtis
05-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Who's we?

Not everyone wants/needs bluetooth. I'd prefer a PPC/phone that's cheaper and doesn't have it.

Yeah, that integrated camera is soooo much more useful. Not everyone wants/needs the camera, but they have been thoughtful enough to include it and charge us for it. Pics suck on it and it causes me security problems at work. Thanks! :twisted:

But until they make PPCs like Legos' we just have to deal with what OEMs think most people want! :cry:

Cortex
05-11-2003, 06:56 PM
personally, I was curious why samsung choose the PXA250/300 mhz. why not invest an additional $5-10 and get the PXA255/400.

and a CF slot... for the compilation of 300 mp3s on my 1GB CF ..... for the Wifi ...

battery life...

also, another user pointed out the t-mo/xda/o2 may have chosen the 8bit screen for the same reason. and i must admit, i am still amazed that i can get 6-8 hours of continuous use out of it!

Cortex
05-11-2003, 07:35 PM
opps
12 bit screen (4096 colors) -- not 8 bit (256 colors)...

maximus
05-12-2003, 04:08 AM
battery life ... if I dont already have this 3400 mAH for my axim, I would made a battery pack for it. Several D sized niMH batteries for 8500 mAH ... 3 batteries in serial should give me 3.6 volts 8500 mAH ... and a simple voltage regulator to increase it a bit to the required 3.7 volts ... that should do the trick. If D size is too big, then use C size instead ...