View Full Version : New Menu/Button Problem!!!!!!

drakedane
05-09-2003, 02:48 AM
I’m not sure where to begin or if this is the right area to post this. But here goes: If this had only occurred on one of my recent PocketPC’s, I guess I would simply consider this a hardware issue [possibly caused by a few bad drops, one or more of which definitely caused some (I thought) minor damage.

Anyway, the first time I saw this problem it was with a new Pocket PC [Compaq iPaq 3955], right out of the box. The problem is that, after a soft reset, if you click the Start Menu, the menu immediately closes (as if I had already made a selection), Calendar opens and a new appointment is created.

I have found two ways of working around this problem:

1. Immediately after every soft reset, if I immediately turn the Pocket PC off and then ON again, this strange behavior does not happen, when you click the Start Menu

2. If I use any of the hardware buttons to open any of the other default applications: like Contacts or Inbox, I can click the Start Menu without any problems.

Naturally, my first thought would be that this is some sort of software issue; however, I need to tell you one more thing:

With this same strange behavior, the first button [normally associated with Calendar] no longer appears to work: if you push it, it feels as if there’s no problem (feels the same as clicking any other button). However, I don’t hear the “screen tap” sound I normally hear, when I click a hardware button. AND, additionally, nothing is launched.

MORE: If I use the Buttons control panel to change which program is launched, when you click the first button, the button still doesn’t work; HOWEVER, the above mentioned strange behavior still occurs: After a soft reset (unless I power off and on immediately or use one of the other hardware buttons [besides button one] first), whatever program is designated in the Buttons control panel gets launched automatically.

It seems like it’s a problem with the Start Menu, but I don’t think so. Since a new appointment is normally launched [unless I change it in Buttons], EXACTLY as would happen if you used the “New” menu on the Today screen [which is a whole other topic!] and selected Calendar.

Keep in mind that I first experienced this problem with a new (right out of the box) Pocket PC. So, when it showed up in another [exactly the same make & model] Pocket PC, instead of simply sending the device back [which I had the chance to do, when the device was totally new], I wanted to see, if I could somehow fix this problem.

Because of other damage [which I will get to in yet another topic!], I have purchased a new Compaq iPaq 3955. However, I wanted to give the old one to my nephew. Besides the annoying problem mentioned above [and the minor physical damage caused by a drop: stuck SD Card], the device works (more or less) as expected. Therefore, if there is a SOFTWARE answer to this, I would love to know what it is.

Let me tell you some of the things I’ve tried and the results.

The first thing I tried (after completely backing things up) was, what should have been a HARD RESET. When I soft reset (after this hard reset: the only way apparently to turn an iPaq on after a hard reset), I get the normal setup screen and what not. After set up, indeed, everything seems to be reset to factory defaults and all of my files, installed programs, etc. seem to be gone. The Memory control confirms this. HOWEVER, a check of the iPaq File Store reveals that any and all files/folders that had been placed in there are stil there!

Is this normal behavior for an iPaq after a hard reset? If so, then I have to wonder what other data may be retained?? Perhaps there still is a software solution, but I don’t know how to do it.

Can anyone confirm for me the exact sequence for a HARD RESET on a Compaq iPaq 3955? If I did this properly, I would think that even the iPaq File Store would be reset, even though I know it acts as if it is a removable storage medium. As such, I tried re-formating, but the system didn’t allow me to do this. Therefore, no matter how many times I hard reset, this data is still there. Very odd to me.

As noted earlier, I would normally just consider this a hardware problem, likely caused by one of the drops. However, recently, as I was trying to figure this thing out, I noticed that, one or twice, the first hardware button started working properly! I have not been able to do anything since then to consciously bring this state about, so the jury is still out on whether or not this is software or hardware.

Again, since I first saw this behavior with a new device, I would like to believe that it is a software thing.

Anyway, obviously, I have attempted to alter various options and settings on the device [related to the New Menu, the Start Menu or the Calendar or Pocket Outlook itself].

I have also tried starting up with Pocket Outlook removed from the Start Menu.

I have also tried upgrading the ROM with the latest updater; however, given the iPaq File Store thing, I’m not sure if I ever really did a real HARD RESET and I notice from other posts related to ROM upgrades that this seems to be a critical step in getting the update to take.

There is definitely evidence that the new ROM was installed [like updated setup screen and Today theme]; however, the “strange behavior” upon soft reset continues.

In closing, let me also add that I have used a registry editor to examine the registries of both the problem device and my new one. I definitely notice major differences: the major thing is that the “Permanent PIM” is no longer used in the new device. I believe this should be reflected in the latest ROM update.

This is one of the reasons I had hoped that maybe this ROM update would work: I read that Permanent PIM was removed. And, even though I have NEVER used it, I have to wonder if it has anything to do with this strange behavior.

Anyway, I mention this to say that, even though there is evidence that the ROM did take, I notice that the iPaq File Store continues to be untouched by ANYTHING I’ve done. ALSO, I notice that the Permanent PIM icon is still in the Control Panels folder. Is this right??? If I upgrade my ROM and the new ROM ISN’T supposed to have this, shouldn’t it be GONE, when I check???

I could go on and on, since I’ve been playing around with this thing for weeks now; but I think anyone should get the point. Hopefully, someone will have run into this same problem and will have some insight. If it is unfixable, fine. I just want to know!

FedUp
05-09-2003, 03:21 AM
I could go on and on...
You already have.

Just do a hard reset. If that doesn't fix it, you've got a defective hardware button.