View Full Version : Windows CE.net 4.1 office suite?

rooks308
05-09-2003, 12:22 AM
I have a question about devices running windows CE.net 4.1... What is the OS like? Are the built in Apps just like the ones on pocket pc's? Is there a large library of software available for the platform? What sort of sync software do they use? I think that's all for now... I was just wondering since i happened upon the Samsung NEXiO S160 and I think it is kinda cool. I do wish that it had Bluetooth built in tho... any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Tom W.M.
05-10-2003, 12:33 AM
Is Windows CE .NET compatible with past CE apps? (Assuming that they are compiled for the right processor.)

gwinter
05-10-2003, 11:27 AM
You can try the Windows CE .NET 4.2 device emulator to get a feel of what it looks like. Go to Microsoft's download page (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/ce.net/downloads/default.asp) and download the Windows CE .NET 4.2 Device Emulator.

The default built-in applications that comes with CE .NET are very lightweight, for example there are only viewer for Office files. But whether these viewers are included in a product is determined by the device vendor rather than Microsoft. Usually the vendor would include some applications that are for powerful than those defaults.

Windows CE applications should run on CE .NET, but if you're thinking of running Pocket PC applications on CE .NET, it will most probably not work. This is because the Pocket PC has additional software that exposes different APIs that are not present on other non-PPC devices.