View Full Version : Cryptonomicon finally available in e-book form

Crystal Eitle
05-08-2003, 04:40 AM
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson is finally out in ebook form. It's available at Fictionwise (http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook10284.htm) right now with a 50% rebate. (I'm sure it's available at other sellers, as well - this is just the first one I became aware of).

I'm pretty excited about this - I've been wanting to read this for a while; I've just been waiting for it to come out in ebook format.

I'm bringing it up here because I remember seeing mention in other threads that people have been looking for this as an ebook.

Pat Logsdon
05-08-2003, 04:45 AM
Good book! You'll enjoy it, although it is a bit of a departure from Snow Crash, Diamond Age, etc.

hiroProtagonist
05-08-2003, 06:26 AM
Yeah...great book. I learned a lot about WWII from that book (and I don't know to what extent it's accurate :wink: )

If you like Stephenson's writing and want to read an essay by him about operating systems, google for "In the Beginning was the Command Line" Pretty interesting...

Crystal Eitle
05-08-2003, 12:55 PM
If you like Stephenson's writing and want to read an essay by him about operating systems, google for "In the Beginning was the Command Line" Pretty interesting...

Yeah, that's the only thing I've read by him so far. I thought it was great.

A friend of mine has been bugging me to read Cryptonomicon for months and even offered to lend me his copy. But I didn't want to lug it around - I've been completely spoiled by e-books.

Unreal32
05-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Snow Crash is even better. :)

RickP in AZ
05-08-2003, 02:51 PM
Cryptinomicon is a truly great and wonderfully complex book but Snow Crash has to be the penultimate cyberpunk novel. Trust the concensus of the majority, put Snow Crash next on your list.

Janak Parekh
05-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Thanks so much, spacewaitress! I bought it this very moment. :) I'm trying to go "ebook-exclusive", and this is one small step towards my goal.

--janak

davidspalding
05-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Kewl! I'm a big fan of SC, and particularly THE DIAMOND AGE (a departure, some wouldn't like it).

Q: is the ebook available in anything other than lame ass Microsoft Reader and non-PDA Adobe ebook reader?

(on wife's computer. wife wants computer back. cannot search. spalding sad.)

Crystal Eitle
05-09-2003, 12:43 AM
Q: is the ebook available in anything other than lame ass Microsoft Reader and non-PDA Adobe ebook reader?

I dunno. You might want to check Powells.com or Harper Perfectbound to see what other formats are available.

Crystal Eitle
05-09-2003, 12:45 AM
Fictionwise and Powell's both have Cryptonomicon available for Palm reader.

Unreal32
05-09-2003, 02:42 AM
...and of course, there are other unmentionable sources where you can find this sort of thing, too, in RTF or other formats.

ChrisW
05-09-2003, 04:41 PM
Has anyone heard when the 2nd book will be released (on paper or however I can get it)?

davidspalding
05-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Fictionwise and Powell's both have Cryptonomicon available for Palm reader.
Thanks, I think I'd probably just buy it and crack it with Xxxxxxx XXX. ... Kinda appropriate, really. ,:)

edit: ... and it worked. Thank heaven for professionally done ebooks in OEBPS format. My personal use .PRC file rocks. After two years I've picked up the book again. Thanks Spacewaitress!

toml
05-12-2003, 01:29 PM
I hope this means that an audio book format on audible.com isn't far behind!

davidspalding
05-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Does anyone else have problems seeing the illustrations in CRYPTONOMICON?

[Edit] Nevermind, I researched further and figured it out. (The publisher used PNGs for several illustrations, but named them .JPG. They display all right in Reader 2.0 or later due to the publishing program's generosity. None of them display in Reader 1.0 regardless.)