View Full Version : Slooooow iPaq 3955

Saaby
05-07-2003, 11:32 PM
I go to a PocketPC infested School. We've got about 30 SOT (http://home.attbi.com/~saaby/sws.htm) students running around with Jornadas, another 40 or so running around with Axims, and then there's a few iPaqs thrown into the mix.

My Tech teacher is one of the iPaq users. I just got a wireless CF card for my Axim and in the process of getting onto the school network wirelessly found out that he was having major problems with his iPaq. First and foremost he couldn't get his wireless card (PCMIA via sleeve) to work. I spent a couple days getting mine set up (It was all the school security that was making it tricky, worked at home beautifully) and then once I got mine working set his up for him.

He has some other problems, however.

His calandar is HUGE. Upon soft boot it spends a good 2-3 minutes "Syncronizing calandar" Syncronizing to what? I don't know but I can find out. Anyway it never gets done. It whines that the calandar is too large and then takes you to the "Today" screen. His PPC was running a little slow. I figured this was because he likely had 2 or 3 programs open (He doesn't use any kind of switcher bar app) so I go over to memory and all he's got open is Activesync, Pocket IE, and one other small Ap, yet 58 or so Mb of hist 64 Mb built in memory is in use.

The thing that gets me is all he has installed really is Yanceware reader and a few books for that, but nowhere near 60 Mb. He's got a 128Mb SD card and supposedly the PCMIA expansion sleeve has memory built in as well--so why does this guy only have 4-5 Mb of memory to work with?

I'm going to put Where is my Ram on his device and see if I can hunt down the problem, but anybody know where to start on this one? He does have a huge calandar and 700+ contacts but I can't immagine even that much stuff would take up 50+ Mb. Like I said he really doesn't have much installed--I have tons installed on my Axim with a medium sized Calandar and maybe 50 contacts, it's only a 32 Mb Axim and I've STILL got more memory than the poor guy.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Jason Dunn
05-08-2003, 12:06 AM
Definitely look for the Where Is My RAM app - that will help. Look in the /windows/temp folder.

The "synchronizing" function is the iPAQ burning the PIM data to Flash ROM, but it's limited in size, and just dies when there's too much data. Poke around in the settings and there's a function that will let you turn this off.

WyattEarp
05-08-2003, 12:30 AM
Although I can't tell you the cause of the problem I can tell you where you should start. First check out the Remove Programs app to see what's installed. Then ask him if he as installed and uninstalled a lot of programs (fragments of programs like to hang around). Next, he most likely can delete those old appointments and invalid contacts I'm sure he has (people just don't delete old schedules and phone numbers regularly). Also find out what Outlook is syncing to the PPC; it may be adding unnecessary stuff. And checkout the size of those books he as installed. That's as good a place as any to start. Can't think of anythingelse at the moment. Good luck :D . Looks like you work is cut out for you.

LWesson
05-08-2003, 12:40 AM
...so I go over to memory and all he's got open is Activesync, Pocket IE, and one other small Ap, yet 58 or so Mb of hist 64 Mb built in memory is in use.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Ryan, if you can't find out what is using the RAM up, you may want to look at upgrading the system to 128MB of internal RAM.

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/i3900up.asp

Chris Spera
05-08-2003, 04:51 AM
Leonard did that for my 3955, and it makes a world of difference!! I don't want to run a Pocket PC without one of Leonard's upgrades in my devices.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

jimski
05-08-2003, 05:40 AM
I have 50+ add-on programs/games loaded into my iPAQ 5450 (not including apps installed on SD card, more than 800 contacts, six months of journal entries, six months past and all future calendar entries, access database, past seven days of e-mail, etc. and still always have 45-50% of RAM (64 MB device) available. That does not include the 15MB available in iPAQ File Store.

I would follow some of the suggestions posted above, like searching for installed programs and cleaning out the windows/temp and Temporary Internet Files folders. I use Kilmist Storage Analyzer to find the memory hogs, but any app that serves the purpose will work. I would also suggest investing in a memory manager for the Today screen. When I hit 40% available (seldom happens), I look to see what is bogging things down.

Saaby
05-10-2003, 07:07 PM
He has close to nothign installed! Just 2 eBook readers, 2 Mahjong games, so here's what I did.

-Load Where is My Ram
-Move ~30 Mb of eBooks to SD card
-Disable "Permanent PIM"
-Reorganize Start Menu
-Install Gigabar
-Uninstall Gigabar (He hated it!)
-Install WISBar (He loves it and I'm using it now too!)

I think that was about it. Now there's about 30 of his 64 Mb open which is acceptable to me--I should look into moving all his documents over to the storage card but now that he can at least use it without staring at the beach ball all the time I'm in no hurry.

Thanks all!